User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Tue 05-Apr-11 17:49:25
Print Post

Tech Services

[link to this post]

Hi,
Don't know if anyone from Talk Talk looks at these post's but if they do can you please check with your tech service dept to find out what they are on, just been trying to help my son to setup my old netgear router and have a few problems, so he phoned TS and asked for help only to be told that I'm sorry but as you are with AOL and not us I'm not able to help, heres AOL number, Hang my son said I'm with you not AOL, no sir you have never been with us at all. He asked to speak to someone higher but was told no can do!!!!
Next my son asked could you please return all my DD I've paid to Talk Talk for my BB and phone please, Only to be told that my son needs to get his house in order and sort himself out and stop trying to SCAM Talk Talk and the guy put the phone down. So he rang back and handed me the phone and I was told nee on the same thing but this was added at the end " By the way sir I'm sorry but I'll have to stop talking to you as you are not the account holder" and then he put the phone down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I give up
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Wed 06-Apr-11 06:22:15
Print Post

Re: Tech Services

[re: deleted] [link to this post]

Your first mistake was using the phone to contact TalkTalk , as pretty much any TalkTalk user that posts here will tell you .
User forum is where we go for support , never the phone .
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Wed 06-Apr-11 07:04:13
Print Post

Join the TT Forums where you will find a very helpful community. Bear in mind the OCEs (the guys who will actually help) only work Mon - Fri, 9 - 5. Also, you will not get an immediate response and may have to wait 24 - 36 hours. Be patient.

Any form of tech support is obliged by the Data Protection Act to deal with the registered account holder.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 06-Apr-11 08:27:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Kaoshan:
Any form of tech support is obliged by the Data Protection Act to deal with the registered account holder.
Got a link for that bit of twaddle?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM

Edited by billford (Wed 06-Apr-11 08:37:48)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Wed 06-Apr-11 08:48:24
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Hi Bill

Sorry, no link. Have been told this by BT support in the past and TT currently. TT seem to enforce it very strictly, even on their online forums. TT use your billing information to verify the account holder. Obviously, in my case, as the account holder's partner, I can masquerade as her online but my voice is a bit too deep to get away with it on the telephone wink In TTs case the info is buried somewhere deep in the T&Cs.

It is also my experience with other organisations when seeking support. The DPA and the HSA are the bane of modern life.

Rgds
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 06-Apr-11 08:56:57
Print Post

Have been told this by BT support in the past and TT currently.
Those organisations may well have a policy of dealing only with the account holder, apart from anything else it reduces the chance that they might have to deal with somebody who knows what they are talking about.

But to claim it's because of the DPA is complete and utter balderdash.
The DPA and the HSA are the bane of modern life.
No, used properly they are valuable pieces of legislation. The bane of modern life is organisations that misuse them to hide their own incompetence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Wed 06-Apr-11 09:25:16
Print Post

Hi paul1360,

if you are looking for general help that doesn't include the username and password for the wan settings on the router then register at www.talktalkmembers.com and we will be able to help you. If it does involve us having to give the WAN settings i.e. username and password then we would need the account holder to clear DPA, they could then add a password onto their account which would mean we could help anyone who provides the password.

Ady
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 06-Apr-11 09:35:52
Print Post

I could nit-pick on that (it's connection with the DPA is tenuous), but basically it makes sense.

Thank you for the clarification.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Edited by billford (Wed 06-Apr-11 10:24:37)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Apr-11 13:11:57
Print Post

No! They may also deal with anyone else for whom the a/c holder has given permission.

Do you think Lord Muck himself in his castle really phones his ISP when he has trouble with his BB? wink

When you phone an insurance co. for a quote, have you noticed they always ask if you have the permission of anyone else on the policy to discuss their details.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Apr-11 14:48:47
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yes ,as long as the account holder gives his/her permission,(subject to verification) the need to deal with the account holder is negated for that instance only,this applies to all companies, but some utility companies are/can be difficult

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 06-Apr-11 15:17:26)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Apr-11 21:15:12
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Not necessarily! I deal ongoingly with all my daughter's Utilities and BB from a different location w/out her presence. We just needed to arrange some security Qs for ID.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Apr-11 17:32:43
Print Post

What old netgear router? Some models may not enjoy the TalkTalk LLU kit.

One presumes the TalKTalk supplied hardware is working?
On AOL - how did that enter the conversation, an old thing for a support person to blurt out with no prompting.

Also no firm is going to over the phone agree to refunding all DD paid to them, and the DD guarantee is the course to take if TalkTalk has been doing things wrong in that regard.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Apr-11 23:23:51
Print Post

Join the TT Forums.....

I suspect that this may be an AOL user who has been ported to TT during the takeover. If that is the case, the OP will be unable to join that forum.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Apr-11 23:28:09
Print Post

...... Any form of tech support is obliged by the Data Protection Act to deal with the registered account holder.

Whoever has told you this is fobbing you off. I dealt with both Opal and BT only yesterday on behalf of the account holders without any problems whatsoever after supplying minimal information.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 23-Apr-11 09:17:23
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Sorry for delay,My son never had AOL BB and not even sure that they are at the exchange, In the end we got the router to work, still got no joy TT Tech Services as they still say he'e with AOL. He's moving shortly.

iechyd da
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 23-Apr-11 10:05:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by paul1360:
Sorry for delay,My son never had AOL BB and not even sure that they are at the exchange, In the end we got the router to work, still got no joy TT Tech Services as they still say he'e with AOL. He's moving shortly.
Talktalk's desire to stay within the terms of the DPA has been brought up before in this thread... you could point out to them that failing to keep accurate records when an error is pointed out is also an offence under that act.

Sauce for the goose etc tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 25-Apr-11 19:28:32
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I just don't understand them being like they are, He's got BB and phone with TT so pass on how they can say that he's with AOL is beyond me. Have got him to change his ISP and phone so it's TT who has lost out. He's going to send a letter 2mor asking for a refund as he's with AOL and a copy of the email's ect, he not get anywhere with it but what the H.ll.

iechyd da
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Thu 28-Apr-11 11:49:21
Print Post

It would definitely be worth going to www.talktalkmembers.com for help.

Cheers

Ady
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Thu 28-Apr-11 11:55:59
Print Post

No need now he's got his MAC and is off

iechyd da
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Apr-11 12:08:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by TALKTALK_SUPPORT:
It would definitely be worth going to www.talktalkmembers.com for help.
But if he is believed to be with AOL by your staff, then your Member Services is inaccessible to him. You can't have your cake & eat it!

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Tue 03-May-11 09:26:05
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for saying that and that is in fact the case. He's had a reply to his letter saying they will look into the matter. lol

iechyd da
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to