User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Oct-11 10:25:32
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk,what are they really like?

[re: woweebert] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by woweebert:
i fully understand what your saying and if i didn't have money troubles and Be* as a option on my exchange i would also be a Be* customer .

But money is tight and there is no Be* LLU at my exchange so as far as im concerned TalkTalk have exceeded my expectations for the price i pay and the connection i have , its just Telephone support and fault resolution times they fail on IMHO but hey " buy budget don't expect to fly first class "

How often do you have to get in touch with Talk Talk to resolve problems?

i been with my ISP for 18n months now and only once I had to get in touch about a problem and that was a massive problem where part of the network went down, strange thing was, Bt had the same problem with their network more or less the same time.

so one call in 18 months is pretty good, a lot better than when I had to call Bt almost once a month.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Sat 15-Oct-11 10:28:47
Print Post

Re: DONT EVEN CONSIDER THAT SHAMBLES !!

[re: Jack_Hackett] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jack_Hackett:
I am sure you will remember these are the same people that labelled me a TT fanboy the last time i was here.
Fanboy or not I don't think you can generalise from your personal experience to what others may experience, the reverse also being true of course.

So on that basis here's my contribution to the fund of anecdotes. I've only known three people on TT. Of those, one thinks like you, highly satisfied and would recommend TT. Another has very low expectations and assumes as long as something happens when you click the mouse, the service is OK and downtime is to be expected with 'advanced technology', whilst the third, had a thoroughly bad experience (ex-Tiscali) and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

My conclusion is that it's a lottery. You can sign up with them and, like you, never have a problem although speeds you get will always be line quality dependent to a greater or lesser extent. The reverse may also be the case with a truly dreadful experience. Given the contract length and non-availability of MAC codes you may then have great difficulty extricating yourself.

In the end it's for the individual to weigh up the risk and pay their money. Were I to dip my toe in the TT water, I would go for a reseller such as Xilo, but AFAIK not all TT exchanges will do TT (Opal) wholesale on a broadband only basis.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Oct-11 10:44:08
Print Post

[re: anything_but] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by anything_but:
Well,i seemed to have stirred up a nest here with what i thought was a innocent question smile

Most of my questions have been answered in one way or the other apart from the speed issue.
Synced at 4830 with a 5.9 sn,would going LLU see that raised? Like i said in a previous post just a few doors down are synced at 6800+ although i seem to remember they`re on a different cab do me.

What you sync at when you change to a different network depends on the line management system they use.

I was with BT, which was okish, synced at about 3Megabits until they decided to change to their so called 21CN system, then I kept losing connection and eventually when they sorted thing out I synced at around 2megabits.

I even changed routers and still had the same problem, because BT profiling decided that my line could not cope with anything more than 2 megabits.

I went with ADSL24 and their cable and wireless network service, which is partly LLU and right away I got a sync speed of over 4 megabits, the only reason I am back down to 3.5 is because my old Speedtouch router have gone belly up and I have to use a new netgear which keeps the SNR at default.

I know a few people on Talk Talk and most of them have a worse sync speed than what they had on their old ISP, of cause sync speed is not everything.

Talk Talk line management seems to be pretty aggressive and I think Sky is as well, but at least Sky will change it, Talk Talk when asked, don't seem to care.

I myself will not go for a fully unbundled system, like Talk Talk or Sky now as they have done the same thing.

I am happy with what I have got and Cable and wireless don't have any line management, so when I connect my router, their system don't muck around trying to find out the best line speed, you connect at what you connect at. Sure i pay a bit more, but it is not that much more at the end of the day

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(committed) Sat 15-Oct-11 12:11:32
Print Post

[re: supfly51] [link to this post]

supfly51,

You may only get "generic advice" from a TalkTalk rep though which may not be any better than phone support.

Best of luck.
Standard User Jack_Hackett
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Oct-11 12:38:33
Print Post

[re: Tacitus] [link to this post]

My conclusion is that it's a lottery. You can sign up with them and, like you, never have a problem although speeds you get will always be line quality dependent to a greater or lesser extent. The reverse may also be the case with a truly dreadful experience. Given the contract length and non-availability of MAC codes you may then have great difficulty extricating yourself.

In the end it's for the individual to weigh up the risk and pay their money.

I couldn't agree more.

My problem with forums like this is you often get people repeatedly slatimg TT who have never been a TT customer, we have seen it time and time again, then there are the X customers who post about their bad experience from years ago and will not accept times have changed.
I am not saying TT are perfect but with 4.5 million customers they are obviously going to have the lions share of complaints in BB forums and as members rarely visit to tell others how happy they are the forums paint a bleak picture.
Here is a thread from 2010 that shows there are happy customers as well as unhappy in the TT members forum.

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php...
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Oct-11 14:27:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jack_Hackett:
My problem with forums like this is you often get people repeatedly slatimg TT who have never been a TT customer
One doesn't need to be a TT customer to be able to read reports by respected consumer champions and to be able to fathom out the drawbacks of Full LLU.

So please desist from trying to make this forum the exclusive fiefdom of TT users.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User Jack_Hackett
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Oct-11 14:36:03
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

One doesn't need to be ..........

One needs to remove ones head from ones donkey.
Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Sat 15-Oct-11 14:38:06
Print Post

Jack says:
you often get people repeatedly slating TT who have never been a TT customer, we have seen it time and time again, then there are the X customers who post about their bad experience from years ago and will not accept times have changed.

So times have changed? Have a look at this from yesterday's Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/oct/14/talktalk...

TT continues to cover itself with glory. Or something else ...
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Oct-11 14:51:22
Print Post

Re: DON'T EVEN CONSIDER THAT SHAMBLES !!

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

It's not just their customers who get silent calls, but anyone who visits their website and asks for an estimate of speed with them.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Oct-11 14:56:39
Print Post

In other words, you have no dispute with my points!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to