User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Sun 09-Oct-11 04:14:32
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk,what are they really like?

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
One Talk Talk person also lied to me about the likely line speed.

Talktalk also lied to me...their sales person said i would get 9 meg when i'm in fact i'm now getting 16 meg (on a 6db noise margin). I prefer to believe this speed calculator rather than believe what any ISP tells me.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 18015/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 2.9 db down / 12db up
Powered by Billion BiPAC 7800N
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Oct-11 06:16:33
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Trouble is when your 16 Meg whittles away to 10 for any reason, they won't be inclined to do anything.

that's the trouble I've had with Orange since they went WBC. They interpret their own/ BT's figures as actuals when they are only estimates frown

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Sun 09-Oct-11 07:49:56
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Trouble is when your 16 Meg whittles away to 10 for any reason, they won't be inclined to do anything.

that's the trouble I've had with Orange since they went WBC. They interpret their own/ BT's figures as actuals when they are only estimates frown

I'm pretty sure if my speed went from 16 to 10 meg, the TalkTalk OCEs would do everything to help solve the problem. As of yet i haven't seen a single issue which the TalkTalk OCEs haven't been able to resolve smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 18015/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 2.9 db down / 12db up
Powered by Billion BiPAC 7800N

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Oct-11 11:05:17
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
In reply to a post by Gene_Genie:
TT's traffic management policy is here:
http://www.talktalk.co.uk/legal/broadband-traffic-ma...

If you want to use torrents, just set them to run overnight and they'll be fine.

Newsgroups aren't throttled.

Use the forum rather than phone support:
http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/index.php

Ask for a Fastpath profile for gaming, which will typically give you 15-20ms pings.
there is although not mentioned here so far one thing that i think everyone who is considering signing up to a Full llu service Phone & broadband, via the ISP's own equipment, Full metallic path facility(FMPF) should be made fully aware of the situation should they every wish to stop service or migrate to another isp

There are 2 isp's who provide this currently, Sky & talktalk, Should you take such a service from either of them, and at a later time are not happy and want to move/switch to another isp, this process can be costly and involve a longer downtime, with the possibility of loosing your telephone number,
As it is not covered by the MAC code process

This because the line will have to be physically reconnected to bt wholsale's equipment before you will be able to order adsl again, bt do charge for this or will wave the connection fee,in return for you signing up to a calling plan with line rental , as suggested getting tt opal llu via a reseller maybe a better option, i think it's possible to have adsl only (smpf) this way your line stays with who you pay line rental to now and switching would be the easier, as the MAC code system is used

I am glad someone posted this, that is a problem with all fully unbundled systems. I have said my view about Talk Talk many times, so not saying it again.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Oct-11 11:08:26
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by anything_but:
Will be looking to go the whole hog with phone and bb,currently with plusnet for bb.

If this is the first LLU operator at your exchange, then it will have changed from Market 1 to Market 2.

I suggest that you ring Plusnet and ask for a price reduction. - As I have just done in a similar situation.

I would avoid putting your phone number into the Talk Talk web site to check the line speed. I made this mistake and got about 7 phone calls.
Certainly enough to convince me to avoid them as a supplier. One Talk Talk person also lied to me about the likely line speed.

Bulldog was like, but at least they did give you a choice if you wanted them to contact you all not, I forgot to remove the tick that gave them the permission to contact me.

Twice a week for at least 6 weeks I had them call, then about once a week until Tiscali grabbed them and never heard any more.

Funny that I am now on the old Bulldog network smile

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Oct-11 11:13:27
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
One Talk Talk person also lied to me about the likely line speed.

Talktalk also lied to me...their sales person said i would get 9 meg when i'm in fact i'm now getting 16 meg (on a 6db noise margin). I prefer to believe this speed calculator rather than believe what any ISP tells me.

Talk Talk does that, but then so do Sky, Bt and a lot of other ISPs.

Speed calculators are not accurate either, there are are many things that can stop you getting the speed you think you should get.

According to Mad as a Fish a mate of mine is suppose to get between 4 and 8 megabits, he gets 2 if he is lucky, but I think the main problem is Bt profiling system.

According to BT I was suppose to get 4-6 megabits, never did with their systemI get over 4 with the network I am on now.

Talk Talk told someone down the road they would get 7 megabits, not a ghost in hells chance with ADSL technology.

Adrian

Standard User tgv
(committed) Sun 09-Oct-11 11:22:26
Print Post

[re: Jack_Hackett] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jack_Hackett:
In reply to a post by kojak:
Talktalk have been voted by OFCOM as the worest ISP for the las two years

I used to be with IDNet a small ISP, customer service was excellent because of this, TT have 4.5 million customers (or more) so obviously they are going to have a lot more unhappy customers than a small ISP but they are also going to have a high number of happy customers like me who never post how great the service is until they read threads like this.

I seen the ISP size argument many times and I can see the logic behind it. However Virgin and BT each have larger number of customers than TT but generate fewer complaints.
Standard User Futaura
(committed) Sun 09-Oct-11 11:38:38
Print Post

[re: tgv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tgv:
In reply to a post by kojak:
Talktalk have been voted by OFCOM as the worest ISP for the las two years

I used to be with IDNet a small ISP, customer service was excellent because of this, TT have 4.5 million customers (or more) so obviously they are going to have a lot more unhappy customers than a small ISP but they are also going to have a high number of happy customers like me who never post how great the service is until they read threads like this.

I seen the ISP size argument many times and I can see the logic behind it. However Virgin and BT each have larger number of customers than TT but generate fewer complaints.

Yes, but then Virgin and BT are far more expensive than TT, so they can afford to invest more in customer service, etc, to solve the problems of unhappy customers.
Standard User Jack_Hackett
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Oct-11 12:20:07
Print Post

[re: Futaura] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Futaura:
In reply to a post by tgv:
... nested quotes trimmed ...

Yes, but then Virgin and BT are far more expensive than TT, so they can afford to invest more in customer service, etc, to solve the problems of unhappy customers.

And that is the nail hit firmly on the head, if TT were to invest in UK call centres with highly trained English speaking operators i am sure there would be a lot less posts in forums like this and the TT customers forums, i am also sure i would not be paying £3 per month for phone and broadband.
As i have said in previous posts i have been a customer for 2 years and have never had to contact customer support, if i had to i would use the forum and let the OCE's deal with the problem.
Standard User Myth
(member) Sun 09-Oct-11 13:46:23
Print Post

[re: anything_but] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by anything_but:
Just seen on sam knows that my exchange ( Shorne - NDSHO ) is being enabled as of 18/01/2012.
As this will be the 1st LLU supplier at my exchange i`m keen to find out how they are as a isp.
Will be looking to go the whole hog with phone and bb,currently with plusnet for bb.
How are they with traffic shaping,usenet,streaming,gaming( VERY important laugh ).

Cheers.

Hi, can I ask your current sync speed, and line attenuation? Are you using ADSLMax? LLU might not give you any extra speed. If it does and TT are the only option for the physical layer then no point arguing over who you go with. Yes, be aware of the hassles of changing back to BTw network, but you sound like soneone who values line speed highly. I would say that my current TT connection is worse than two previous BeThere connections (2009-2011), all same town but 3 different exchanges. All very similar line lengths and stats. Ping with TT is no better than Be, and maybe a little worse as the routing can be more convuluted, enabling fast path on a long line can reduce some pings but you are more likely to need re-transmissions of other packets so you might get lag deaths..and UDP packets would just be lost. The FEC errors in your router stats will give an indication of how the fastpath/interleaved option will affect you (if you are already on interleaved).
During the evening and weekends the slow down is noticable, didn't have that issue with Be. P2P is better than I thought it would be, but Be had no issues.
Be is more expensive, but is less than IDnet (had a 1.2Mbit IDnet line for 2 years, impeccable but expensive and lonnnnggg line). Both Be lines and TT are about 4Mbit.
Also had pipex ADSL1 0.5Mbit line (exchange in another village) (2005)
Village Broadband symmetric 2Mbit wireless (excellent but 5GB limit) (2006)
Nildram ADSLMax (exchange in same village) 8Mbit, perfect service, 13ms gaming ping, 50Gb limit with rollover. (2007-8)

My overall view from experience, reading articles and forums is that Be invest in infrastructure before problems occur, IDnet stay in touch with BTw and keep you informed of the possible future problems, and TT accept problems will happen, and only fix them if you are savvy enough to know about forums like this or the TT members forum.
Obvioulsy, TT's method costs less. Each exchange is different. True unlimited bandwidth is only available with Be. TT is better than I feared, but I prefer to pay more and have a service that is reliable, rather than one that is a bit iffy at times. These are just my views, but are based on recent experience of all I have spoken about.
I also prefer old cars that need fixing all the time, I like fixing cars, but I want my broadband connection to be problem-free.

To sum up, my Be connections felt like mine. TalkTalk feels like I share it with others.
TalkTalk is like the Tube, can't always get on in rush hour. 4Mbit 43ms ping at best
IDnet was an expensive bicycle, slow but reliable, (line length wasn't their fault though) 1.2Mbit 35ms ping
Be was your car, but you could use the bus lanes (not sure about this one lol) 4Mbit 25-40ms ping
Hoping fibre will be a helicopter smile

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to