User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User anything_but
(newbie) Sat 08-Oct-11 08:51:27
Print Post

TalkTalk,what are they really like?

[link to this post]

Just seen on sam knows that my exchange ( Shorne - NDSHO ) is being enabled as of 18/01/2012.
As this will be the 1st LLU supplier at my exchange i`m keen to find out how they are as a isp.
Will be looking to go the whole hog with phone and bb,currently with plusnet for bb.
How are they with traffic shaping,usenet,streaming,gaming( VERY important laugh ).

Cheers.

Edited by anything_but (Sat 08-Oct-11 10:43:04)

Standard User Jack_Hackett
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Oct-11 11:16:13
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk,what are they really like?

[re: anything_but] [link to this post]

I have been a TT customer for more than two years, i have never had cause to phone customer support and can honestly say i am more than happy with the service.
I recently rang the retention team (when my 18 month contract ended) and i now only pay £3 per month for phone and broadband and i asked for a free router as a back up and it arrived three days later.
The downside is phone support which has always had a terrible reputation, this may of course be because people rarely visit forums to say how great something is but always do to say how terrible something is, if like me you never need to phone CS you will never find out.
There is also a members forum where you can get help from the on-line communications experts but its not live and of course you need to get on-line (family, friends computer) to receive help if your problem is broadband related.
Gaming is great we have XBox and PS3 and have never had any problems, P2P is a different matter, if you use P2P a lot you might want to stay where you are it is throttled heavily, streaming is fine but i cannot comment on usenet as i have never used it.

My speed and ping - http://www.speedtest.net/result/1523335895.png (taken when my lad was using PS3 online)

Edited by Jack_Hackett (Sat 08-Oct-11 11:23:10)

Standard User kojak
(regular) Sat 08-Oct-11 11:26:56
Print Post

I wouldent bother they are a bad service provider and they frottle back your line avoid at all cost trust me you will regret it.

I was with Tiscali was getting 7mb talkralk bought tiscali my speed went down to 3md I am now with sky and i am getting 16mg.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kojak
(regular) Sat 08-Oct-11 11:28:41
Print Post

[re: kojak] [link to this post]

Talktalk have been voted by OFCOM as the worest ISP for the las two years
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Oct-11 11:32:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by kojak:
I wouldent bother they are a bad service provider and they frottle back your line

As i said in my previous post they throttle P2P and make no secret of the fact this doesn't make them a "bad service provider" as you say above, the advantage is it keeps gaming pings low and speeds high because the illegal down-loaders stay away, apparently newsgroups are not throttled.
(newbie) Sat 08-Oct-11 11:34:32
Print Post

[re: Jack_Hackett] [link to this post]

Well,i`m tech savvy enough to sort out most problems that crop up so never really had to deal with any cs with the isps i`ve been with in the past.
Really do need to know about usenet tho,but good to know about the gaming side as that`s definatly a major consideration.
Been waiting years for a LLU operator at my exchange so just trying to gen up before the live date.
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Oct-11 11:40:06
Print Post

I used to be with IDNet a small ISP, customer service was excellent because of this, TT have 4.5 million customers (or more) so obviously they are going to have a lot more unhappy customers than a small ISP but they are also going to have a high number of happy customers like me who never post how great the service is until they read threads like this.
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(member) Sat 08-Oct-11 11:58:57
Print Post

Once it has gone live consider a reseller of TT, in some cases have shorter contracts etc. You will have to touch base individually as all wonít offer a resell.

I'm alright Jack....
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Sat 08-Oct-11 11:59:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by anything_but:
Well,i`m tech savvy enough to sort out most problems that crop up so never really had to deal with any cs with the isps i`ve been with in the past.
Really do need to know about usenet tho,but good to know about the gaming side as that`s definatly a major consideration.
Been waiting years for a LLU operator at my exchange so just trying to gen up before the live date.

As Jack has said, you'll be fine with TalkTalk provided you don't dabble in P2P. If you don't have any line issues you'll get line speeds 24/7, low pings, fastpath profile if req'd and very good support via the forums. Don't listen to the uneducated masses who's only experience of Talktalk is through heresay!

Also have a look at this thread:
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/which_isp/f/4047280...

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 18015/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 2.9 db down / 12db up
Powered by Billion BiPAC 7800N

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 08-Oct-11 12:04:54)

(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Oct-11 12:16:22
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

. Don't listen to the uneducated masses who's only experience of Talktalk is through heresay!

I haven't posted here for months and it is like i have never been away, another troll in the forum from another ISP telling everyone "avoid at all cost"
Has he ever been a TT customer, has he posted his TT related problems here before moving to Sky or is he just another bandwagon jumper?
Standard User SimonCandest
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Oct-11 12:22:23
Print Post

Usenet, from experience, is not throttled. It seems to run full speed ahead when I have dabbled in it smile

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying on TalkTalk

Gib mir die Hand, ich bau dir ein Schloss aus Sand
Irgendwie, irgendwo, irgendwann.
(member) Sat 08-Oct-11 12:24:46
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk,what are they really like? *DELETED*

Post deleted by NilSatisOptimum
(member) Sat 08-Oct-11 12:38:13
Print Post

. Don't listen to the uneducated masses who's only experience of Talktalk is through heresay!

This far exceeds the meaning of disingenuous, my heresay is through TT representatives, what is one to do!

I'm alright Jack....
(committed) Sat 08-Oct-11 13:04:59
Print Post

[re: NilSatisOptimum] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by NilSatisOptimum:

This far exceeds the meaning of disingenuous, my heresay is through TT representatives, what is one to do!

Perhaps have a look at the TT forums and see how the OCEs do their best to solve users issues?

Perhaps ask existing Talktalk members who have actually experienced their service?

As i keep saying you're not going to get AAISP's level of customer support for £3.49pm broadband but nevertheless if you stick to web support then TalkTalk's service is value for money smile

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 08-Oct-11 13:11:15)

Standard User Gene_Genie
(newbie) Sat 08-Oct-11 16:16:41
Print Post

TT's traffic management policy is here:
http://www.talktalk.co.uk/legal/broadband-traffic-ma...

If you want to use torrents, just set them to run overnight and they'll be fine.

Newsgroups aren't throttled.

Use the forum rather than phone support:
http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/index.php

Ask for a Fastpath profile for gaming, which will typically give you 15-20ms pings.
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Oct-11 16:47:54
Print Post

[re: Gene_Genie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Gene_Genie:

If you want to use torrents, just set them to run overnight and they'll be fine.

Ask for a Fastpath profile for gaming, which will typically give you 15-20ms pings.
there is although not mentioned here so far one thing that i think everyone who is considering signing up to a Full llu service Phone & broadband, via the ISP's own equipment, Full metallic path facility(FMPF) should be made fully aware of the situation should they every wish to stop service or migrate to another isp

There are 2 isp's who provide this currently, Sky & talktalk, Should you take such a service from either of them, and at a later time are not happy and want to move/switch to another isp, this process can be costly and involve a longer downtime, with the possibility of loosing your telephone number,
As it is not covered by the MAC code process

This because the line will have to be physically reconnected to bt wholsale's equipment before you will be able to order adsl again, bt do charge for this or will wave the connection fee,in return for you signing up to a calling plan with line rental , as suggested getting tt opal llu via a reseller maybe a better option, i think it's possible to have adsl only (smpf) this way your line stays with who you pay line rental to now and switching would be the easier, as the MAC code system is used

My Broadband Speed TestMy Broadband Speed Test
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1109135337.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1088567519.png
http://www.pingtest.net/result/29483331.png
Results from http://www.speed.io
(Copied on 2011-09-18 22:29:00)
Download: 14772 Kbit/s
Upload : 1676 kbit/s
Connects : 2808 conn/min
Ping: 11 ms

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 08-Oct-11 16:58:22)

(newbie) Sat 08-Oct-11 17:38:52
Print Post

Thanks for all the replys so far smile

Who are the current TT resellers then so i have another avenue to look down.
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Sat 08-Oct-11 17:54:50
Print Post

Heard good things about this talktalk reseller

http://www.xilo.net/adsl_broadband/

Traffic management / usage varies reseller to reseller
(member) Sat 08-Oct-11 18:03:20
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Titan and Vivcaiti have offered me a TT resell. All others so far cannot, ADSL24 Xixlo etc.

I'm alright Jack....
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Sun 09-Oct-11 01:07:29
Print Post

Will be looking to go the whole hog with phone and bb,currently with plusnet for bb.

If this is the first LLU operator at your exchange, then it will have changed from Market 1 to Market 2.

I suggest that you ring Plusnet and ask for a price reduction. - As I have just done in a similar situation.

I would avoid putting your phone number into the Talk Talk web site to check the line speed. I made this mistake and got about 7 phone calls.
Certainly enough to convince me to avoid them as a supplier. One Talk Talk person also lied to me about the likely line speed.

Michael Chare
(committed) Sun 09-Oct-11 04:14:32
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
One Talk Talk person also lied to me about the likely line speed.

Talktalk also lied to me...their sales person said i would get 9 meg when i'm in fact i'm now getting 16 meg (on a 6db noise margin). I prefer to believe this speed calculator rather than believe what any ISP tells me.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Oct-11 06:16:33
Print Post

Trouble is when your 16 Meg whittles away to 10 for any reason, they won't be inclined to do anything.

that's the trouble I've had with Orange since they went WBC. They interpret their own/ BT's figures as actuals when they are only estimates frown

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
(committed) Sun 09-Oct-11 07:49:56
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Trouble is when your 16 Meg whittles away to 10 for any reason, they won't be inclined to do anything.

that's the trouble I've had with Orange since they went WBC. They interpret their own/ BT's figures as actuals when they are only estimates frown

I'm pretty sure if my speed went from 16 to 10 meg, the TalkTalk OCEs would do everything to help solve the problem. As of yet i haven't seen a single issue which the TalkTalk OCEs haven't been able to resolve smile

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Oct-11 11:05:17
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
In reply to a post by Gene_Genie:

there is although not mentioned here so far one thing that i think everyone who is considering signing up to a Full llu service Phone & broadband, via the ISP's own equipment, Full metallic path facility(FMPF) should be made fully aware of the situation should they every wish to stop service or migrate to another isp

There are 2 isp's who provide this currently, Sky & talktalk, Should you take such a service from either of them, and at a later time are not happy and want to move/switch to another isp, this process can be costly and involve a longer downtime, with the possibility of loosing your telephone number,
As it is not covered by the MAC code process

This because the line will have to be physically reconnected to bt wholsale's equipment before you will be able to order adsl again, bt do charge for this or will wave the connection fee,in return for you signing up to a calling plan with line rental , as suggested getting tt opal llu via a reseller maybe a better option, i think it's possible to have adsl only (smpf) this way your line stays with who you pay line rental to now and switching would be the easier, as the MAC code system is used

I am glad someone posted this, that is a problem with all fully unbundled systems. I have said my view about Talk Talk many times, so not saying it again.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Oct-11 11:08:26
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

If this is the first LLU operator at your exchange, then it will have changed from Market 1 to Market 2.

I suggest that you ring Plusnet and ask for a price reduction. - As I have just done in a similar situation.

I would avoid putting your phone number into the Talk Talk web site to check the line speed. I made this mistake and got about 7 phone calls.
Certainly enough to convince me to avoid them as a supplier. One Talk Talk person also lied to me about the likely line speed.

Bulldog was like, but at least they did give you a choice if you wanted them to contact you all not, I forgot to remove the tick that gave them the permission to contact me.

Twice a week for at least 6 weeks I had them call, then about once a week until Tiscali grabbed them and never heard any more.

Funny that I am now on the old Bulldog network smile

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Oct-11 11:13:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
One Talk Talk person also lied to me about the likely line speed.

Talktalk also lied to me...their sales person said i would get 9 meg when i'm in fact i'm now getting 16 meg (on a 6db noise margin). I prefer to believe this speed calculator rather than believe what any ISP tells me.

Talk Talk does that, but then so do Sky, Bt and a lot of other ISPs.

Speed calculators are not accurate either, there are are many things that can stop you getting the speed you think you should get.

According to Mad as a Fish a mate of mine is suppose to get between 4 and 8 megabits, he gets 2 if he is lucky, but I think the main problem is Bt profiling system.

According to BT I was suppose to get 4-6 megabits, never did with their systemI get over 4 with the network I am on now.

Talk Talk told someone down the road they would get 7 megabits, not a ghost in hells chance with ADSL technology.

Adrian

Standard User tgv
(committed) Sun 09-Oct-11 11:22:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jack_Hackett:

I used to be with IDNet a small ISP, customer service was excellent because of this, TT have 4.5 million customers (or more) so obviously they are going to have a lot more unhappy customers than a small ISP but they are also going to have a high number of happy customers like me who never post how great the service is until they read threads like this.

I seen the ISP size argument many times and I can see the logic behind it. However Virgin and BT each have larger number of customers than TT but generate fewer complaints.
Standard User Futaura
(committed) Sun 09-Oct-11 11:38:38
Print Post

[re: tgv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tgv:

I seen the ISP size argument many times and I can see the logic behind it. However Virgin and BT each have larger number of customers than TT but generate fewer complaints.

Yes, but then Virgin and BT are far more expensive than TT, so they can afford to invest more in customer service, etc, to solve the problems of unhappy customers.
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Oct-11 12:20:07
Print Post

[re: Futaura] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Futaura:
... nested quotes trimmed ...

Yes, but then Virgin and BT are far more expensive than TT, so they can afford to invest more in customer service, etc, to solve the problems of unhappy customers.

And that is the nail hit firmly on the head, if TT were to invest in UK call centres with highly trained English speaking operators i am sure there would be a lot less posts in forums like this and the TT customers forums, i am also sure i would not be paying £3 per month for phone and broadband.
As i have said in previous posts i have been a customer for 2 years and have never had to contact customer support, if i had to i would use the forum and let the OCE's deal with the problem.
Standard User Myth
(member) Sun 09-Oct-11 13:46:23
Print Post

Just seen on sam knows that my exchange ( Shorne - NDSHO ) is being enabled as of 18/01/2012.
As this will be the 1st LLU supplier at my exchange i`m keen to find out how they are as a isp.
How are they with traffic shaping,usenet,streaming,gaming( VERY important laugh ).

Cheers.

Hi, can I ask your current sync speed, and line attenuation? Are you using ADSLMax? LLU might not give you any extra speed. If it does and TT are the only option for the physical layer then no point arguing over who you go with. Yes, be aware of the hassles of changing back to BTw network, but you sound like soneone who values line speed highly. I would say that my current TT connection is worse than two previous BeThere connections (2009-2011), all same town but 3 different exchanges. All very similar line lengths and stats. Ping with TT is no better than Be, and maybe a little worse as the routing can be more convuluted, enabling fast path on a long line can reduce some pings but you are more likely to need re-transmissions of other packets so you might get lag deaths..and UDP packets would just be lost. The FEC errors in your router stats will give an indication of how the fastpath/interleaved option will affect you (if you are already on interleaved).
During the evening and weekends the slow down is noticable, didn't have that issue with Be. P2P is better than I thought it would be, but Be had no issues.
Be is more expensive, but is less than IDnet (had a 1.2Mbit IDnet line for 2 years, impeccable but expensive and lonnnnggg line). Both Be lines and TT are about 4Mbit.
Also had pipex ADSL1 0.5Mbit line (exchange in another village) (2005)
Village Broadband symmetric 2Mbit wireless (excellent but 5GB limit) (2006)
Nildram ADSLMax (exchange in same village) 8Mbit, perfect service, 13ms gaming ping, 50Gb limit with rollover. (2007-8)

My overall view from experience, reading articles and forums is that Be invest in infrastructure before problems occur, IDnet stay in touch with BTw and keep you informed of the possible future problems, and TT accept problems will happen, and only fix them if you are savvy enough to know about forums like this or the TT members forum.
Obvioulsy, TT's method costs less. Each exchange is different. True unlimited bandwidth is only available with Be. TT is better than I feared, but I prefer to pay more and have a service that is reliable, rather than one that is a bit iffy at times. These are just my views, but are based on recent experience of all I have spoken about.
I also prefer old cars that need fixing all the time, I like fixing cars, but I want my broadband connection to be problem-free.

To sum up, my Be connections felt like mine. TalkTalk feels like I share it with others.
TalkTalk is like the Tube, can't always get on in rush hour. 4Mbit 43ms ping at best
IDnet was an expensive bicycle, slow but reliable, (line length wasn't their fault though) 1.2Mbit 35ms ping
Be was your car, but you could use the bus lanes (not sure about this one lol) 4Mbit 25-40ms ping
Hoping fibre will be a helicopter smile

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.
(newbie) Sun 09-Oct-11 19:02:11
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

Currently synced at 4800 kbps,lines pretty stable.
Although just a few doors down from me,they`re synced much higher,around 6k+ if i remember,though i may be on a different cab to them.
Seen from a graph that i probably won`t get much more speed if i`m correct?
Swings and roundabouts with all isps really,some will love the service,others will have a all too different experience.

Edited by anything_but (Sun 09-Oct-11 19:04:06)

Standard User tgv
(committed) Sun 09-Oct-11 19:18:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by Futaura:
... nested quotes trimmed ...

And that is the nail hit firmly on the head, if TT were to invest in UK call centres with highly trained English speaking operators i am sure there would be a lot less posts in forums like this and the TT customers forums, i am also sure i would not be paying £3 per month for phone and broadband.
As i have said in previous posts i have been a customer for 2 years and have never had to contact customer support, if i had to i would use the forum and let the OCE's deal with the problem.

I was not aware that BT and Virgin had UK call centres. In fact I have often been told by customers of those organisations that they have had to deal with Indian call centres! Is that BT and Virgin invest in better quality Indian call centres?
(committed) Mon 10-Oct-11 05:16:48
Print Post

I was not aware that BT and Virgin had UK call centres. In fact I have often been told by customers of those organisations that they have had to deal with Indian call centres! Is that BT and Virgin invest in better quality Indian call centres?

Don't know about Virgin but from my experience BT have call centres in both UK and India, however chances are you'll be put through the Indian call centre. As for BTs Indian call centre staff being competent...oh look there's something pink flying in the sky...enough said.

(committed) Mon 10-Oct-11 05:29:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Myth:
To sum up, my Be connections felt like mine. TalkTalk feels like I share it with others.
TalkTalk is like the Tube, can't always get on in rush hour. 4Mbit 43ms ping at best
IDnet was an expensive bicycle, slow but reliable, (line length wasn't their fault though) 1.2Mbit 35ms ping
Be was your car, but you could use the bus lanes (not sure about this one lol) 4Mbit 25-40ms ping
Hoping fibre will be a helicopter smile

In the 12+ months i've been with Talktalk LLU, i haven't experienced a single slowdown...always line speeds 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week with pings of 15-20ms on fastpath. I suggest you post on the TT forums and ask the OCEs why you get a slowdown at peak times. It may be that your exchange is congested (very rare on TT LLU) and even if it is, i'm sure the OCEs will let you know when they plan on increasing the capacity.

(member) Mon 10-Oct-11 09:38:50
Print Post

I agree, with regards to BT, just like TT, BTs online support is good and is UK based too. Indeed forget BTs phone support as far as I can tell BTs phone support is a seperate company that has a contract with BT, I would imagin there are all sorts of conditions the company & employees have to adhere too.

As for Vm, when I was with them I was always put through to support with South Wales accents, which I found equally difficult to understand as Indian etc, and I'm from North Wales.

I suppose whoever is that way inclined itís the down side of having a Kingdom and previous empire and minium wage, however I blame it all on the script and whoever wants all UK support, pay for it!

I'm alright Jack....

Edited by NilSatisOptimum (Mon 10-Oct-11 09:53:11)

Standard User Myth
(member) Mon 10-Oct-11 14:26:22
Print Post

I suggest you post on the TT forums and ask the OCEs why you get a slowdown at peak times. It may be that your exchange is congested (very rare on TT LLU) and even if it is, i'm sure the OCEs will let you know when they plan on increasing the capacity.

I guess you didnt fully read my post wink I will accept these problems in many areas of live, even relish in them in some, but I personally don't want it with my ISP.

As I explained, my testing is limited, but there's no need to exagerate your own testing. I doubt you have spanked your connection 24/7 for a whole year and have studied your bandwidth graphs for that entire period, and I doubt you did this without hitting the TT FUP. I am however able to know the gist of what you are saying (though others will flame you for the exageration no doubt) and as I have said, YMMV.

(committed) Mon 10-Oct-11 14:50:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by Myth:
I suggest you post on the TT forums and ask the OCEs why you get a slowdown at peak times. It may be that your exchange is congested (very rare on TT LLU) and even if it is, i'm sure the OCEs will let you know when they plan on increasing the capacity.

I guess you didnt fully read my post wink I will accept these problems in many areas of live, even relish in them in some, but I personally don't want it with my ISP.

As I explained, my testing is limited, but there's no need to exagerate your own testing. I doubt you have spanked your connection 24/7 for a whole year and have studied your bandwidth graphs for that entire period, and I doubt you did this without hitting the TT FUP. I am however able to know the gist of what you are saying (though others will flame you for the exageration no doubt) and as I have said, YMMV.

I did fully understand your first post smile You suffer slowdowns at peak times with TalkTalk...i and many others don't. So why not ask on the TalkTalk forum why this happens?

Standard User Myth
(member) Mon 10-Oct-11 20:34:30
Print Post

"...but I want my broadband connection to be problem-free. "

I have no interest in chasing for a quality of service that I know I can get elsewhere, and am happy to pay the premium. My only issue is the downtime for moving from TT. This is just my view and my preference, maybe I'm just weird. I'll spend all day helping someone with their connection but I have higher expectations of my own service. I know enough about my network and the technology to know the problem lies with others who have audit tools that can tell them these problems exist. I mean both ISPs and server operators. I just have a preference to be with an ISP that is proactive, and therefore transparent. I expect the same of my electric supply.

I know you are trying to help me with my connection, so I thank you for that, and i hope you understand why I'm not taking that help.
My main aim was to give the op the benefit of my experiences with regards to gaming, with the background info to qualify my opinion. Don't wanna take over the thread smile

Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Oct-11 21:56:11
Print Post

i fully understand what your saying and if i didn't have money troubles and Be* as a option on my exchange i would also be a Be* customer .

But money is tight and there is no Be* LLU at my exchange so as far as im concerned TalkTalk have exceeded my expectations for the price i pay and the connection i have , its just Telephone support and fault resolution times they fail on IMHO but hey " buy budget don't expect to fly first class "

With TalkTalk , not as bad as some might have you believe
Standard User bilbo8
(committed) Mon 10-Oct-11 22:27:24
Print Post

DONT EVEN CONSIDER THAT SHAMBLES !!

Dont even think about it for 1 second.

That rabble are well known as a beyond pond scum shambles. Read talk talk hell, do a search on google and read the many,many,many posts of absolute outrage about talk talk and how 7th rate a "service" they sell.

Happy anywhere, as long as it ISNT talk talk.
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Oct-11 22:47:01
Print Post

O'dear ! Looks like your being knocked back to supporting Troll , No:1 is back in the house .

Standard User tgv
(committed) Tue 11-Oct-11 01:02:00
Print Post

[re: woweebert] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by woweebert:
O'dear ! Looks like your being knocked back to supporting Troll , No:1 is back in the house .

Been on holiday Woweebert?
Standard User Myth
(member) Tue 11-Oct-11 05:20:57
Print Post

" buy budget don't expect to fly first class "

I think i see it more like "fair enough it's budget, but why am i doing the navigating?" wink

(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Oct-11 17:46:25
Print Post

Re: DONT EVEN CONSIDER THAT SHAMBLES !!

[re: bilbo8] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bilbo8:

That rabble are well known as a beyond pond scum shambles. Read talk talk hell, do a search on google and read the many,many,many posts of absolute outrage about talk talk and how 7th rate a "service" they sell.

Just to let everyone here know this Troll posted all over the IDNet forum that i would regret moving to TT 2 years ago when i left, he is still here spewing his anti TT bile 2 years later, some things never change, i haven't regretted the move for a single moment.
Standard User tgv
(committed) Tue 11-Oct-11 20:45:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by bilbo8:

Just to let everyone here know this Troll posted all over the IDNet forum that i would regret moving to TT 2 years ago when i left, he is still here spewing his anti TT bile 2 years later, some things never change, i haven't regretted the move for a single moment.

Hi Jack

Have you been on holiday?
Standard User herbie1
(newbie) Wed 12-Oct-11 10:28:42
Print Post

Been with Talktalk for just over 12 months, phone and broadband has been reliable with no down time. Speeds have been stable at around 13 mbps'
Standard User Allnm
(newbie) Wed 12-Oct-11 17:25:26
Print Post

[re: herbie1] [link to this post]

Well my TT line goes live tomorrow. I am leaving Pipex after 9 years so anything is better! Trolls aside, I am looking forward to using TT, my Dad has been using it for 2 years and is more than happy.
I did consider Sky but my neighbours had so much trouble with them, I decided to stay clear. I even cancelled my Sky tv (as they did) and went with freesat. Now I can watch all that rubbish satellite tv for free.

Allan
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Oct-11 18:33:28
Print Post

Hi Jack

Have you been on holiday?

Only from the anti TT trolls but i see the same ones are still here after all this time.

Edited by Jack_Hackett (Wed 12-Oct-11 18:33:44)

Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 12-Oct-11 19:21:52
Print Post

And the same rules applies 1: not actually a TalkTalk customer 2: probably never been a TalkTalk customer and 3: jump on any thread that's asking what TalkTalk are like as a ISP , even though they don't actually know , see rule 1 .

nothing ever changes !

Edited by woweebert (Wed 12-Oct-11 19:23:50)

(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Oct-11 19:56:10
Print Post

And the same rules applies 1: not actually a TalkTalk customer 2: probably never been a TalkTalk customer and 3: jump on any thread that's asking what TalkTalk are like as a ISP , even though they don't actually know , see rule 1 .

nothing ever changes !

I have my second wind now so let the trolls bring it on. grin
Standard User atj003
(committed) Wed 12-Oct-11 20:10:23
Print Post

I had to change my ISP 100% down to cost.
moving both my phone and Internet to talk talk has already started saving me money.
simply because i make a lot of calls to the hospital in london (daytime hours)

I wont lie I was dreading the move for obvious reasons you hear so much about how bad talk talk are.But ive been with them now nearly 4 months and its been good.
Ive got a stable internet its around 1MB less than I got with Xilo.My pings in Wow are amazing most of the time it does not go above 38.

im synced at 5.5mb with a download speed of 561KB You tube and all streaming services are working fine,So are the Xbox services.

the one thing i would really suggest.dont bother with Talktalk CS via the phone.the users forum is the only place to get common sense on anything,its a lot less stressful that area of talk talk IMHO is the reason theres so many complaints.I phoned them once about a billing question and it was just madness.I got the answer I was looking for via the members forum within the hour and no hassle.

Edited by atj003 (Wed 12-Oct-11 20:19:55)

Standard User tgv
(committed) Wed 12-Oct-11 21:11:35
Print Post

[re: Allnm] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Allnm:
Well my TT line goes live tomorrow. I am leaving Pipex after 9 years so anything is better! Trolls aside, I am looking forward to using TT, my Dad has been using it for 2 years and is more than happy.
I did consider Sky but my neighbours had so much trouble with them, I decided to stay clear. I even cancelled my Sky tv (as they did) and went with freesat. Now I can watch all that rubbish satellite tv for free.

Allan

It will only be better if you are migrating to LLU otherwise I suspect you will be disappointed.

Moving to Freesat is a good move. Thing is if you do miss any programs shown on the pay sites it still works out cheaper to get the series on DVD and you have the added bonus of no ads. I also recommend going to your local library as at my library box set DVDs only cost £2.50 to hire for three weeks!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Oct-11 21:14:06
Print Post

Stop labelling people, it is for us to decide who is giving reasonable feedback, and those who are being overly positive or negative.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tgv
(committed) Wed 12-Oct-11 21:20:11
Print Post

nothing ever changes !

I have my second wind now so let the trolls bring it on. grin

I'm sure that Jack and Woweebert will keep me entertained in the coming weeks.

By the way I spoke to a lady yesterday who had a bad experience with TT. She obtained a MAC code from TT and signed up with Plusnet. Unfortunately a few days before she was to go live with Plusnet she discovered that TT had cancelled her order with Plusnet. Apparently this was because they had offered her a new deal which meant she would get free internet access. The only problem is she had not agreed to the new deal!

To cut a long story short, she was without internet for a few weeks and compensation was only forthcoming after Ofcom was involved.
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Oct-11 06:30:19
Print Post

I do believe you have just made that up , friends of friends , somebody i met down the pub . we have been here before , everything goes full circle (it would seem ) .

A bit to convenient and not actually making sense , TalKTalk offering free broadband to a customer connected to resold BT and not there LLU network ?

Anyway , i do need a holiday , so i'm taking one of my own accord and not somebody else .

Standard User tgv
(committed) Thu 13-Oct-11 08:23:20
Print Post

I do believe you have just made that up , friends of friends , somebody i met down the pub . we have been here before , everything goes full circle (it would seem ) .

A bit to convenient and not actually making sense , TalKTalk offering free broadband to a customer connected to resold BT and not there LLU network ?

Anyway , i do need a holiday , so i'm taking one of my own accord and not somebody else .

Sorry to disappoint you Woweebert, but it is a true story. The person I spoke to did not give me the full technical details so I don't know what kind of connection they had, however she was clearly angry with Talk Talk. But if you don't believe me that your problem. Are you suggesting Ofcom make up false stories?
Standard User ash76
(regular) Thu 13-Oct-11 09:36:25
Print Post

Instead of using a small, self selecting, sample why not use this tool:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html

Compare your existing ISP with a couple of others you are considering.
The Compare tool uses a large 6 month sample to evaluate ISPs over
three key categories. It is easy to use but look carefully at the data as
the screen design tends to flatten out some big differences.
Standard User 4M2
(committed) Thu 13-Oct-11 12:45:15
Print Post

anything_but,

I was using my cousin's computer last night and he uses TalkTalk full LLU. He is on their cheapest deal and lives a fair distance from the exchange. I got a download speed of 6.5Mbps and pings of 30ms to bbc.co.uk at 9pm which he says is normal at peak times and adequate for his needs. Seemed very good to me - however he has had a few problems with TalkTalk in the past but they were resolved by using the forum, took a while to be fixed but he is happy with the low cost TalkTalk deal.

I wouldn't want to use Talktalk full LLU myself though because of issues with line rental that have been discussed at length in these TBB forums many times before.

4M2.
ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Thu 13-Oct-11 13:38:52
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

HI All,

If any customers are experiecing specific issues we can look into this in mroe depth via the TalkTalk Members Forum. Please register and post the details of your issue and we can look into this in more depth.

Regards

Mark
TalkTalk Online Community Executive.

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User 4M2
(committed) Thu 13-Oct-11 13:56:00
Print Post

[re: TALKTALK_SUPPORT] [link to this post]

TALKTALK_SUPPORT,

I don't need 'specific issues we can look into this in mroe depth via the TalkTalk Members Forum' - I left Tiscali, a good £15 per month ADSLmax service, just in time before they were swallowed up a couple of years ago smile

Edit: if you are OCE_Mark you did nothing to help my cousin, eventually his problem was fixed by OCE_Emma http://talktalkmembers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4...

Edited by 4M2 (Thu 13-Oct-11 14:13:23)

(isp) Thu 13-Oct-11 15:18:42
Print Post

Hi 4m2,

As is evident form my presence here OCE reposnsil;bities can change form day to day and although at the intiation of the thread youve linked I was responsible for that section, OCE Emma picked up this thread as responsibilities were adjusted in the three months between 8 July 2010 and 11 Oct 2010 when Emma took over the issue.

The Online Community Department work as a team not individually and I can see that the thread you have quoted has been resolved by the Online Community Deparment

Regards

Mark
TalkTalk Online Community Executive
TalkTalk Online Community Department

Edited by TALKTALK_SUPPORT (Thu 13-Oct-11 15:21:26)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User 4M2
(committed) Thu 13-Oct-11 16:20:20
Print Post

Mark,

Please review that forum thread and note in my cousin's opening post where he said "at no time was i informed that i would not be entitled to free broadband when it became available... am i being ripped off by a firm that i have always respected and have on several occasions reccomended to friends and family."

It appears that you did not investigate the situation where my cousin claims that he was mis-sold full LLU - he believed that he would not have to pay the £15 surcharge but in reality he was still paying it for many months.

Happily Emma helped him get a full refund for the £15 overpayments smile
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Oct-11 18:46:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Stop labelling people, it is for us to decide who is giving reasonable feedback, and those who are being overly positive or negative.

I am sure you will remember these are the same people that labelled me a TT fanboy the last time i was here.
(newbie) Thu 13-Oct-11 19:29:02
Print Post

Well,i seemed to have stirred up a nest here with what i thought was a innocent question smile

Most of my questions have been answered in one way or the other apart from the speed issue.
Synced at 4830 with a 5.9 sn,would going LLU see that raised? Like i said in a previous post just a few doors down are synced at 6800+ although i seem to remember they`re on a different cab do me.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Oct-11 19:59:22
Print Post

Synced at 4830 with a 5.9 sn,would going LLU see that raised?
But what is your attenuation? Post your router stats.

If it's about 50 dB, you'll lose about 0,5 Megs on ADSL2+ LLU. If it's not you've got a wiring problem. Either way frown.

PS: I find TT users on here the most partisan of all ISP's. Don't mind them! smile The consumer organisations & Ofcom give you the facts and remember that going Full LLU with your phone line creates difficulties when you want to switch in the future.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User Myth
(member) Fri 14-Oct-11 00:47:02
Print Post

PS: I find TT users on here the most partisan of all ISP's.

I would say TalkTalk's service has gone through a wide swing of quality in it's short history, probably more than most other ISPs.

My parents (and therefore me as their tech) have been with TT from the inception when I recommended it (international calls was a driving force back then), and I've seen the change from 1.8mbit datastream to a very unstable 4.2mbit LLU (that had to be restricted to 2272kbps) that has gradually improved over the years. The connection to the exchange is now pretty solid at 3.9mbit.

(isp) Fri 14-Oct-11 09:46:33
Print Post

HI All,

4m2 - Ive read the thread as I did at the time of my posting, the intial advice given was generic advice as is clear from the nature of my post. Subsequently upon reply further investigation was conducted and at this time that section of the forum was being managed by Emma not myself. Emma implemented the correct resolution to the issue to the satisfaction fo the OP.

Anythingbut - If you join the TalkTalk Members Forum we can look into your issue for you.

Regards

Mark
TalkTalk Online Community Executive
TalkTalk Online Community Department.

(newbie) Fri 14-Oct-11 18:04:44
Print Post

Not a issue,not a member laugh

If you read my op i`m just getting all the info i can via everyone here about your service as my exchange goes live for you in january. smile
Standard User 4M2
(committed) Fri 14-Oct-11 19:36:09
Print Post

Mark,

Your "generic advice" lead to my cousin to be being given the most ridiculous and misleading information from telephone support before he returned to the forum for help - he was even sent a router (an unsuitable single ethernet port thing) despite his problem being account related and not a technical issue for him locally.

He was not told, when he agreed to a new contract, that he would be subject to the £15 surcharge and believed it to be full LLU, you did not investigate his problem but left him to the vagaries of phone support.

Edited by 4M2 (Fri 14-Oct-11 19:39:39)

Standard User supfly51
(newbie) Sat 15-Oct-11 10:23:22
Print Post

What are talktalk really like? hmmm as a new victim i wonder if i can answer this?

See here for issue ive had, i forgot i registered here a few years back so now have signed in to access here :

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/which_isp/f/4047280...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, ive had to sign into an independent outside forum in the vain hope of a talktalk rep seeing my issues as i cant get access to TalkTalks own forum! Unbelieveable!!!!
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Oct-11 10:25:32
Print Post

i fully understand what your saying and if i didn't have money troubles and Be* as a option on my exchange i would also be a Be* customer .

But money is tight and there is no Be* LLU at my exchange so as far as im concerned TalkTalk have exceeded my expectations for the price i pay and the connection i have , its just Telephone support and fault resolution times they fail on IMHO but hey " buy budget don't expect to fly first class "

How often do you have to get in touch with Talk Talk to resolve problems?

i been with my ISP for 18n months now and only once I had to get in touch about a problem and that was a massive problem where part of the network went down, strange thing was, Bt had the same problem with their network more or less the same time.

so one call in 18 months is pretty good, a lot better than when I had to call Bt almost once a month.

Adrian

Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Sat 15-Oct-11 10:28:47
Print Post

I am sure you will remember these are the same people that labelled me a TT fanboy the last time i was here.
Fanboy or not I don't think you can generalise from your personal experience to what others may experience, the reverse also being true of course.

So on that basis here's my contribution to the fund of anecdotes. I've only known three people on TT. Of those, one thinks like you, highly satisfied and would recommend TT. Another has very low expectations and assumes as long as something happens when you click the mouse, the service is OK and downtime is to be expected with 'advanced technology', whilst the third, had a thoroughly bad experience (ex-Tiscali) and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

My conclusion is that it's a lottery. You can sign up with them and, like you, never have a problem although speeds you get will always be line quality dependent to a greater or lesser extent. The reverse may also be the case with a truly dreadful experience. Given the contract length and non-availability of MAC codes you may then have great difficulty extricating yourself.

In the end it's for the individual to weigh up the risk and pay their money. Were I to dip my toe in the TT water, I would go for a reseller such as Xilo, but AFAIK not all TT exchanges will do TT (Opal) wholesale on a broadband only basis.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Oct-11 10:44:08
Print Post

Well,i seemed to have stirred up a nest here with what i thought was a innocent question smile

Most of my questions have been answered in one way or the other apart from the speed issue.
Synced at 4830 with a 5.9 sn,would going LLU see that raised? Like i said in a previous post just a few doors down are synced at 6800+ although i seem to remember they`re on a different cab do me.

What you sync at when you change to a different network depends on the line management system they use.

I was with BT, which was okish, synced at about 3Megabits until they decided to change to their so called 21CN system, then I kept losing connection and eventually when they sorted thing out I synced at around 2megabits.

I even changed routers and still had the same problem, because BT profiling decided that my line could not cope with anything more than 2 megabits.

I went with ADSL24 and their cable and wireless network service, which is partly LLU and right away I got a sync speed of over 4 megabits, the only reason I am back down to 3.5 is because my old Speedtouch router have gone belly up and I have to use a new netgear which keeps the SNR at default.

I know a few people on Talk Talk and most of them have a worse sync speed than what they had on their old ISP, of cause sync speed is not everything.

Talk Talk line management seems to be pretty aggressive and I think Sky is as well, but at least Sky will change it, Talk Talk when asked, don't seem to care.

I myself will not go for a fully unbundled system, like Talk Talk or Sky now as they have done the same thing.

I am happy with what I have got and Cable and wireless don't have any line management, so when I connect my router, their system don't muck around trying to find out the best line speed, you connect at what you connect at. Sure i pay a bit more, but it is not that much more at the end of the day

Adrian

Standard User 4M2
(committed) Sat 15-Oct-11 12:11:32
Print Post

[re: supfly51] [link to this post]

supfly51,

You may only get "generic advice" from a TalkTalk rep though which may not be any better than phone support.

Best of luck.
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Oct-11 12:38:33
Print Post

[re: Tacitus] [link to this post]

My conclusion is that it's a lottery. You can sign up with them and, like you, never have a problem although speeds you get will always be line quality dependent to a greater or lesser extent. The reverse may also be the case with a truly dreadful experience. Given the contract length and non-availability of MAC codes you may then have great difficulty extricating yourself.

In the end it's for the individual to weigh up the risk and pay their money.

I couldn't agree more.

My problem with forums like this is you often get people repeatedly slatimg TT who have never been a TT customer, we have seen it time and time again, then there are the X customers who post about their bad experience from years ago and will not accept times have changed.
I am not saying TT are perfect but with 4.5 million customers they are obviously going to have the lions share of complaints in BB forums and as members rarely visit to tell others how happy they are the forums paint a bleak picture.
Here is a thread from 2010 that shows there are happy customers as well as unhappy in the TT members forum.

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php...
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Oct-11 14:27:03
Print Post

My problem with forums like this is you often get people repeatedly slatimg TT who have never been a TT customer
One doesn't need to be a TT customer to be able to read reports by respected consumer champions and to be able to fathom out the drawbacks of Full LLU.

So please desist from trying to make this forum the exclusive fiefdom of TT users.

(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Oct-11 14:36:03
Print Post

One doesn't need to be ..........

One needs to remove ones head from ones donkey.
Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Sat 15-Oct-11 14:38:06
Print Post

Jack says:
you often get people repeatedly slating TT who have never been a TT customer, we have seen it time and time again, then there are the X customers who post about their bad experience from years ago and will not accept times have changed.

So times have changed? Have a look at this from yesterday's Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/oct/14/talktalk...

TT continues to cover itself with glory. Or something else ...
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Oct-11 14:51:22
Print Post

Re: DON'T EVEN CONSIDER THAT SHAMBLES !!

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

It's not just their customers who get silent calls, but anyone who visits their website and asks for an estimate of speed with them.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Oct-11 14:56:39
Print Post

In other words, you have no dispute with my points!

(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Oct-11 14:59:50
Print Post

In other words, you have no dispute with my points!

I refer to my earlier post - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/talktalk/t/4053509-...
Standard User 4M2
(committed) Sat 15-Oct-11 15:17:59
Print Post

Re: DON'T EVEN CONSIDER THAT SHAMBLES !!

XRaySpeX,

"It's not just their customers who get silent calls, but anyone who visits their website and asks for an estimate of speed with them."

I'd rather get a silent call than a sales call where "LLU subject to availability" and "limited LLU capacity at the exchange" are conveniently not mentioned because the sales person was so keen to make a sale and has not checked the exchange status!!! Only when the first bill arrived did one realise than the connection is still IP stream and subject to the £15 surcharge, also this may not even have been mentioned in the "welcome letter" that came with the router.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 15-Oct-11 18:16:45
Print Post

Your ice is getting thinner, you can disagree with people thats fine, but doing it in the fashion you have just done is not acceptable.

Any phrases like you use are going to increase the likelihood that people will disregard what you say.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Sun 16-Oct-11 05:07:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Talk Talk line management seems to be pretty aggressive and I think Sky is as well, but at least Sky will change it, Talk Talk when asked, don't seem to care.

TalkTalk will switch off DLM if you ask on their forums...shock horror! I had it switched off within 30 mins of asking smile

[]One doesn't need to be a TT customer to be able to read reports by respected consumer champions and to be able to fathom out the drawbacks of Full LLU.

Actually going on full LLU with Talktalk has more advantages than drawbacks.

PROS
Significantly lower cost for BOTH broadband and tel calls
One bill for both services
ISP cannot blame BT for broadband/tel service faults (unless line physically is faulty)

CONS
Not so easy to leave

In a nutshell, if you plan on changing ISPs every 2 weeks or have a gypsy lifestyle then full LLU is a definite no-no. However if you want the cheapest quality broadband with cheap UK/intl/mobile calls then going full LLU makes much more sense. In my case, i pay TalkTalk 25 notes a month for 18 meg broadband (fully unthrottled with at least 100gb data per month), unlimited UK landline/0870/0845 calls and 500 mins of landline/mobile calls per month to 100 int'l countries. Try getting all of that from BT for 25 quid a month...you're more likely to get the middle finger from them! frown