User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Myth
(member) Wed 16-Nov-11 15:09:27
Print Post

Re: New lines TalkTalk (openreach question)

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

I also think it would be odd for lines in the same cabinet to take a different path to the exchange, but I base that on logic and planning ahead, rather than what BT might actually have done smile

Re: the NTE5, I was expecting to see wiring like http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=bt+master+socket+wi...
this if it was fairly new. Looks like two cables are snipped as they enter the socket, maybe there is a 2nd pair there

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Nov-11 16:02:11
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

The oddities in BT wiring tend to arise as when the wiring went in many years ago it was probably logical, new properties, cabling faults and a policy that requires phone faults to be dealt with as quickly as possible has resulted in a many oddities and some not neccessarily documented.

That picture shows an extension off the faceplate that vanishes into some trunking in the house, and not the incoming wiring to the A/B connectors which are not visible in that picture.

BT does not generally snip wires back, but coil them up, since they may be required later if a wire in a pair breaks.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Wed 16-Nov-11 16:04:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Myth:
I also think it would be odd for lines in the same cabinet to take a different path to the exchange, but I base that on logic and planning ahead, rather than what BT might actually have done smile

Re: the NTE5, I was expecting to see wiring like http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=bt+master+socket+wi...
this if it was fairly new. Looks like two cables are snipped as they enter the socket, maybe there is a 2nd pair there

Yes the first thing i noticed was some cables has been snipped too, the line was put in march by open reach for sky (so tomorro will have one with sky one with talktalk) so its defo new my faceplate only has 3 terminals inside it too labled 2 3 5 were as the one in the pic as 1-6

This is the line from the outside i dont supose it makes a diff to anything but thought id mention it the original line that was riped out 16 year ago was inside that little box the grey wire you can see (painted) was originally inside the little white box and that went straight down the wall threw a hole in the front door frame before it was pulled out of course.

when they fitted the new line they attached the black tube thing between the old cable and the new cable which now runs around the wall to the back of the house to my bedroom were my comp is. Thats to the NTE5 in my other pic so without looking inside the tube no way to tell if the old wire is 1 or 2 pair my thinking from what other people have posted is that the old wire and the new wire have a diff amount of cables and thats why theres some cut off in the new NTE5 socket could be wrong of course thats just my thinking

BT does not generally snip wires back, but coil them up, since they may be required later if a wire in a pair breaks.

there are defo 2 cables snipped in there but as i say seen as i dont know what they are they may be redundant cables so that might be why there snipped from the tiny bit that still shows they are both white as i say i dont no to much about the subject so only the original engineer would no why he did it lol

PS if
That picture shows an extension off the faceplate that vanishes into some trunking in the house, and not the incoming wiring to the A/B connectors which are not visible in that picture.

was about my pic there are no extensions going anywhere from the NTE socket its self just 1 extension that go's to a sky box that i wired in my self that goes on terminals 2/5 on the faceplate if you was talking about the picture of some one else's socket sorry about the confusion
Ash

Sky + TalkTalk
-------------------------------------------------------------
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited 11167 kbps D / 910kbps U(current) 30/9/11 Virgin Media 100Meg(disconnected15/12/11) =>17/11/11 Talktalk to be updated

PSN: ACPSD775 add me if you like

Edited by acpsd775 (Wed 16-Nov-11 16:13:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Myth
(member) Wed 16-Nov-11 16:32:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

i meant to say wires like this, not wiring, soz. I was thinking of colours and thickness when I was looking at it. But I did think the grey sheathed cable was the main line in and I see now that it is the extension leading off into a dual-skin wall. oops wink

Standard User Myth
(member) Wed 16-Nov-11 16:39:30
Print Post

Also us wanted to add, while this discussion is interesting, rest assured that the BT man
will do anything necessary to provide that line (unless the pole is unsafe to climb up for instance) as part of the job.

It might be worth mentioning the possible extra attenuation you are suffering with, as he might see an obvious problem (in that black tubing for instance) that is easy to fix. I think I'm right in saying attenuation spikes are most likely where two metals meet

Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Wed 16-Nov-11 17:05:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Myth:
Also us wanted to add, while this discussion is interesting, rest assured that the BT man
will do anything necessary to provide that line (unless the pole is unsafe to climb up for instance) as part of the job.

It might be worth mentioning the possible extra attenuation you are suffering with, as he might see an obvious problem (in that black tubing for instance) that is easy to fix. I think I'm right in saying attenuation spikes are most likely where two metals meet

Thats good thinking while hes here no harm in asking,
The odd thing is when the line first got fitted it started at 32 so more less on par with the others but then after about a day it spiked up to 37.5 which its stayed at ever since.
Except for that 20 mins were the guy mixed mine and the neighbours lines and it dropped to 30 i got right happy about that my first instinct was oh maybe the cable was wore away under the floor and now its fixed its fixed the attenuation at the same time,
Then he knocked on door to do a phone test and said oh not good ive got lines mixed up i was like oh right he said 5 mins al switch them round 5 mins later knock on door right done can i check phone again, yea sure, right your numbers back, ok thanks for letting me know cya, went to check internet was ok oh dear back upto 37.5 oh S**T!! lol

just you watch tomorrow something will happen which makes it a nightmare to install then when the BB gos live it will be worse than the sky line that is purely just my luck lol

Ash

Sky + TalkTalk
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited 11167 kbps D / 910kbps U(current) 30/9/11 Virgin Media 100Meg(disconnected15/12/11) =>17/11/11 Talktalk to be updated

Edited by acpsd775 (Wed 16-Nov-11 17:07:31)

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Wed 16-Nov-11 17:32:53
Print Post

Looks like two cables are snipped as they enter the socket, maybe there is a 2nd pair there
There are two pairs present in Ash's first picture (at the existing NTE5/A), the orange & white wires (pair 1) and the green & black wires (pair 2). What you are seeing and commenting about as being "snipped" are the three white sleeved steel catenary wires. (Look closely and you will see them at the 2 o'clock, 7 o'clock & 9 o'clock positions.) The are not conductors but stiffening / support wires. So, to reiterate, there is absolutely nothing wrong in that photograph. wink

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Edited by burakkucat (Wed 16-Nov-11 17:42:39)

Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Wed 16-Nov-11 18:30:00
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
Looks like two cables are snipped as they enter the socket, maybe there is a 2nd pair there
There are two pairs present in Ash's first picture (at the existing NTE5/A), the orange & white wires (pair 1) and the green & black wires (pair 2). What you are seeing and commenting about as being "snipped" are the three white sleeved steel catenary wires. (Look closely and you will see them at the 2 o'clock, 7 o'clock & 9 o'clock positions.) The are not conductors but stiffening / support wires. So, to reiterate, there is absolutely nothing wrong in that photograph. wink

that clears things up a bit so basically those snipped wire are useless and just about making the outside cable stronger laugh

Ash

Sky + TalkTalk

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Wed 16-Nov-11 18:37:52
Print Post

Yep, you've got it. wink

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Wed 16-Nov-11 18:46:32
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
Yep, you've got it. wink

this may seam obvious to some but im still a little confused if my external line from house to pole (the part before the little black joiner) dose have 2 pairs after all and they do both lines off that 1 line, Dose that mean that both lines will share a wire all the way back to the cab or just the wire between my house and the pole just trying to find out as much info as possible really

Ash

Sky + TalkTalk

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to