User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Myth
(member) Fri 18-Nov-11 17:55:29
Print Post

Re: New lines TalkTalk (openreach question)

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

auto will try ADSL2+ first, but can connect to g.DMT after if 2+ seems iffy. This happens here which is why I mentioned it. Am on higher attenuation here though, and 2+ is flaky even if it syncs. I force g.DMT and all is pretty solid.

It does sound like your sky is 2+ though.

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Fri 18-Nov-11 18:02:46
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Myth:
auto will try ADSL2+ first, but can connect to g.DMT after if 2+ seems iffy. This happens here which is why I mentioned it. Am on higher attenuation here though, and 2+ is flaky even if it syncs. I force g.DMT and all is pretty solid.

It does sound like your sky is 2+ though.

don't g.DMT cap you at 8 max though or am i thinking of something else. I know my sky router is synkin at 8 at mo but after a few days it slowly creeps up to just over 9 its just i unplugged it in and out a few times in a row over the few hours other day so its slowed down a bit i do miss the Belkin though it always got faster speeds on that it got the speed in my sig with the belkin, skys router is horrible lol horrid wireless horrid web interface and horrid speeds compared to other routers,
I keep thinking to get a new router but TBH seen as the only thing its used for is mobiles wifi to connect to and a backup incase my main (VM now talktalk) net gos down i never bother lol

Ash

Sky + TalkTalk
-------------------------------------------------------------
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited 11167 kbps D / 910kbps U(current) 30/9/11 Virgin Media 100Meg(disconnected15/12/11) =>17/11/11 Talktalk to be updated

PSN: ACPSD775 add me if you like
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Nov-11 18:16:16
Print Post

Re: New lines TalkTalk (openreach question) - DELETED

No, I take that back. I was thinking of BT's ADSL Max.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Fri 18-Nov-11 18:19:58)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Fri 18-Nov-11 18:23:27
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
No, I take that back. I was thinking of BT's ADSL Max.

What do you take back this is your first comment on this topic lol, im lost (dont take much though lol)

Ash

Sky + TalkTalk
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited 11167 kbps D / 910kbps U(current) 30/9/11 Virgin Media 100Meg(disconnected15/12/11) =>17/11/11 Talktalk to be updated

Standard User Myth
(member) Fri 18-Nov-11 18:30:20
Print Post

he edited this

In reply to a post by Myth:sky could be using g.DMT as it's DSL mode

No, your upload would then be 448 Kbps.

but then realised he was thinking of the ADSLmax option on TalkTalk. ADSLMax can do 832 upload sync but not with TalkTalk

ADSLMax is always g.DMT (I think) hence the confusion. Plus, it's probably a while since most of us used ADSLmax

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Fri 18-Nov-11 18:39:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Myth:
he edited this

In reply to a post by Myth:sky could be using g.DMT as it's DSL mode

No, your upload would then be 448 Kbps.

but then realised he was thinking of the ADSLmax option on TalkTalk. ADSLMax can do 832 upload sync but not with TalkTalk

ADSLMax is always g.DMT (I think) hence the confusion. Plus, it's probably a while since most of us used ADSLmax

ah did'nt see it lol ive never used it so i wouldn't of known any diff lol all i really know about adsl is that adsl1 was maxed 8 adsl2 maxed 12 and 2+ maxed at 24 other than that dont know too much about it i dont know all the other names for all the modes and stuff lol,

Oh well hopefully FTTC dont get delayed again, The engineer did say that BT had been messing in the exchange to do with FTTC the past week sorting the problems out that delayed it to start with so the date mentioned now should finally be the right one lol.

What worry's me more on that note is postcode/line checker for sky line says FTTC available 1/12/12 (talktalk line 2 new for this) but on the talktalk FTTC checker i put my TT number in and it says ***TalkTalk Fibre Optic broadband isn't available in your area Currently we don't have confirmed roll out plans*** even though i no 100% both lines do connect to the same cab and was told on the phone before i orded that the 1/12/11 was correct it would be fine im starting to think they just said that to get the order threw lol.

Ash

Sky + TalkTalk

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Nov-11 19:19:39
Print Post

I took it back from the poster I was replying to. As it was wrong, I saw no point in propagating it to the rest of you, but am glad that it triggered an interesting discussion for you grin

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Fri 18-Nov-11 19:49:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
going back on the convo a bit here but just thought id let ya know theyve used diff cable in the new line its more like what was in the 70s line they really ought to start using the same cable in all lines lol

Line 1
Line 2
Hi Ash,

I've just looked at your two pictures. Let me assure you that everything is exactly as it should be -- there is nothing wrong with the standard of the wiring or the cables used at each of the sockets. I had better explain --

Looking at the picture of the cable and its internal wires at the original socket, we see the incoming (that is coming into the house) service cable is a CW1411 two twisted pair No. 12 dropwire -- the orange & white wires are the first pair and the green & black wires are the second pair. (The italicised words are a direct copy / paste from my posting on Wed 16-Nov-11 at 02:44:29.)

Looking at the picture of the cable and its internal wires at the new socket, we see that an appropriate grade CW1308, four pair, internal cable has been used. Remember, that cable is only within the house. It does not have to be resistant to UV light and it does not have to have stiffening / strengthening steel catenary wires within it. Within that cable, pair 1 is the blue+white stripe & white+blue stripe, pair 2 is the orange+white stripe & white+orange stripe, pair 3 is the green+white stripe & white+green stripe and pair 4 is the brown+white stripe & white+brown stripe.

It is fairly clear (to me) that the first pair (the blue pair) of the CW1308 internal grade cable is used to connect the second incoming pair (on the green and black wires of the two pair incoming service cable), via gel-crimps in the backing box of NTE5/A number one, to the new NTE5/A number two.

Hope that helps. smile

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Fri 18-Nov-11 20:33:38
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
going back on the convo a bit here but just thought id let ya know theyve used diff cable in the new line its more like what was in the 70s line they really ought to start using the same cable in all lines lol

Line 1
Line 2
Hi Ash,

I've just looked at your two pictures. Let me assure you that everything is exactly as it should be -- there is nothing wrong with the standard of the wiring or the cables used at each of the sockets. I had better explain --

Looking at the picture of the cable and its internal wires at the original socket, we see the incoming (that is coming into the house) service cable is a CW1411 two twisted pair No. 12 dropwire -- the orange & white wires are the first pair and the green & black wires are the second pair. (The italicised words are a direct copy / paste from my posting on Wed 16-Nov-11 at 02:44:29.)

Looking at the picture of the cable and its internal wires at the new socket, we see that an appropriate grade CW1308, four pair, internal cable has been used. Remember, that cable is only within the house. It does not have to be resistant to UV light and it does not have to have stiffening / strengthening steel catenary wires within it. Within that cable, pair 1 is the blue+white stripe & white+blue stripe, pair 2 is the orange+white stripe & white+orange stripe, pair 3 is the green+white stripe & white+green stripe and pair 4 is the brown+white stripe & white+brown stripe.

It is fairly clear (to me) that the first pair (the blue pair) of the CW1308 internal grade cable is used to connect the second incoming pair (on the green and black wires of the two pair incoming service cable), via gel-crimps in the backing box of NTE5/A number one, to the new NTE5/A number two.

Hope that helps. smile

Right im with ya everything seams fine just wish this line would of had a lower atten to match the other people i no on the same pole lol but that's in an ideal world and this worlds far from idea lol

Ash

Sky + TalkTalk

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Fri 18-Nov-11 20:40:52
Print Post

just wish this line would of had a lower atten to match the other people i no on the same pole lol
At this very early stage, the only advice I'd give is to allow the connection some time. Just make use of it, without any "fiddling" and allow it to stabilise. (I know it is difficult to resist the temptation to try a tweak. wink )

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to