User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sirbenfro
(newbie) Sat 14-Jan-12 17:46:39
Print Post

Re: What decides which exchange to unbundle?

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by warweezil:
Must be on the fringes of Pembroke with those speeds, I'm not far from Bush Hill, but even with the speedtest result in my sig I often have issues with youtube and other video streaming, I keep checking but according to the plus net checker the exchange doesn't have contention issues. The last time I saw speeds like that from Pembroke exch was a friend on AOL who lived at the top of Grove Hill.

Talktalk also called me after a speedtest, and kept banging on about the cost saving, couldnt answer my question about when SWPM will be unbundled. I told the guy I wont sign on the promise of "eventually" at the moment im in a 30 day contract so if another option opened up here I can move to it with minimal fuss and no way will I lock myself into a long term contract on upto 8Mbps. He seemed to be having problems understanding that lol

Its a shame that Talktalk as a company are not as keen to talk to potential customers as they are to sign us up to long term contracts on the same (or worse) slow service as we get now, I just hope they got the hint and don't phone again. I have raised the issue that they claim to deliver 24Mbps "to my exchange"... Really? On an exchange not yet on WBC or LLU? !

I'm wondering what the issue with Pembroke is, no Talktalk, no WBC and no one is saying why, yet a tiny place like Saundersfoot gets 2 LLU operators and WBC

It makes no sense

Thanks
I'm at the bottom of Bush Hill. I'm no expert on this subject (read numpty!) but my router is plugged into the main BT socket and I did the tests with my laptop connected by ethernet cable. At nights I might get 1mbps at times, but as I say, other times, around .6, although it's a bit better during the day. I bought this recently (before I actually found out my speed was so dire) to try and boost my signal upstairs, but of course I'm trying to boost something that isn't there! ;-(
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Jan-12 18:50:50
Print Post

[re: sirbenfro] [link to this post]

If you are at the bottom of Bush Hill something is wrong, as you are within a quarter of a mile of me, as I am actually close to the railway bridge at Golden Lane - so in terms of physical cable length I am likely to be further from the exchange than you, although you may well be connected to the same cabinet as me.

Numpty? no you are just innocent of the ways that adsl tech has to torture us. I guess the basic question is have you tried the router directly into the Test socket - assuming you have an NTE5 which is the type where the bottom half of the faceplate can be unscrewed. The test socket is the one hidden behind the bottom half of the faceplate. Testing with Ethernet is the right thing to do.

It may be more appropriate to move the discussion about you line speed away from the Talktalk thread, I'm no expert, but I'm happy to help another reject on the Pembroke exchange to screw as much as possible out of our old tech service.

Drop me a PM if you like and we can discuss what is possible, You may find some help in the useful resource Here it is operated by one of the regular contributors to the forum.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed My Broadband Speed Test
Market 1 (IPSC) - a BT group investment NOT Spot

Edited by warweezil (Sat 14-Jan-12 18:56:05)

Standard User sirbenfro
(newbie) Sat 14-Jan-12 21:25:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by warweezil:
If you are at the bottom of Bush Hill something is wrong, as you are within a quarter of a mile of me, as I am actually close to the railway bridge at Golden Lane - so in terms of physical cable length I am likely to be further from the exchange than you, although you may well be connected to the same cabinet as me.

Numpty? no you are just innocent of the ways that adsl tech has to torture us. I guess the basic question is have you tried the router directly into the Test socket - assuming you have an NTE5 which is the type where the bottom half of the faceplate can be unscrewed. The test socket is the one hidden behind the bottom half of the faceplate. Testing with Ethernet is the right thing to do.

Drop me a PM if you like and we can discuss what is possible, You may find some help in the useful resource Here it is operated by one of the regular contributors to the forum.

Yes, I have tried it with the test socket, but it was some time ago, I'll give it another try. The thing is it's not always been this slow, I never had a problem in the past, so I assumed it was down to contention. Admittedly, I'm upstairs now using the laptop with the new wireless adaptor and a speed test gives me Ping 63ms, download speed .66mbps, Upload .22mbps. ;-(
Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jack_Hackett
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jan-12 11:02:18
Print Post

Yes, I have tried it with the test socket, but it was some time ago,
Thanks

Have you tried the members forum ?

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/index.php
Standard User WelshWArrior
(experienced) Sun 15-Jan-12 11:08:35
Print Post

SirBenfro

I'm from Tenby mate and know a couple of people living very close to you. Can you post your Router Stats on here? This will give us a good indication whether there's something wrong with your line.
Standard User sirbenfro
(newbie) Mon 16-Jan-12 08:35:37
Print Post

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WelshWArrior:
SirBenfro

I'm from Tenby mate and know a couple of people living very close to you. Can you post your Router Stats on here? This will give us a good indication whether there's something wrong with your line.

Is this what you want? As I said, I know very little about this! ;-(
http://omeyas.f2s.com/2012-01-15_145547.jpg

Thanks
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 19-Jan-12 23:39:22
Print Post

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

I had an email back today from the ASA in response to an issue I raised with them. Recently, when I ran the Talktalk line checker I was led to a page which claimed that TT would deliver 24 Mbps to my 20 cn market 1 exchange, That had to be wrong. So I felt that as TT were making claims they couldn't back up on an exchange which doesn't figure in current RFS dates issued across this county, the claim should be subject to some scrutiny to ensure that people on my exchange don't sign up to TT on the basis of an inflated speed claim
Thank you for contacting the ASA with your concerns about claims appearing on the Talk Talk website. I understand you feel the claim “We’ll deliver superfast 24Meg broadband to your exchange” is misleading.

We contacted the advertiser for clarification on the issue and they confirmed that not all exchanges can receive 24Meg broadband. On this basis we considered the ad was in breach of the CAP Code rules relating to misleading advertising we asked them to amend the claim. Talk Talk have confirmed that they will change the claim to ““We’ll give you the fastest speed your line can handle.” This should be amended shortly.

At least now if they make 24 meg claims for my exchange they will have to upgrade it first. For ages people have been telling me that my exchange was too small to be of interest, and yet TT are unbundling exchanges locally to me that are a quarter of the size of mine, Narberth SWNB being one such exchange. After the lies a couple of years back when TTs supermarket sellers tried to tell me that my exchange couldn't be done "because BT wont let them in" I felt that enough was enough, I have emailed TT to see if I can find out why we have been excluded, and tweeted them, neither of which was even acknowledged. Even when TT called after the line test and I asked the sales guys why my exchange lacks an RFS date they couldn't answer and were not interested in helping me find out.. At least now they cant deceive people on this - or other 20cn exchanges - with fairy tales of 24 megs at the exchange

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by warweezil (Thu 19-Jan-12 23:50:23)

Standard User dave76
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 13:06:45
Print Post

Well apparently Haverfordwest, Narberth, Fishguard, Neyland are now unbundled (on talktalk), according to:
http://sales.talktalk.co.uk/
and
http://www.talktalkmembers.com/content/view/151/93/

Nothing on samknows yet
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-Feb-12 16:05:09
Print Post

[re: dave76] [link to this post]

I cant access one of those pages - log in required, the speed checker on the sales page has recently been the subject of a successful ASA complaint, and I'm not sure if they have yet updated the claim to deliver 24 megs to exchanges - that seems to have been a default claim they were making on ALL exchanges regardless of the status - mine being a 20cn market 1 exchange was the one that backed up the complaint. I note that the wording appears to have changed and the claimed 24 megs at exchange has been dropped

Im dubious about taltalk claims.. I will run it by a friend of mine on the Neyland exchange later, see if he can learn anything by actually talking to sales about a live line that is already with them

VP status Yellow - About time BTw rewarded us for our over priced 8 meg crawl with some investment!

Edited by warweezil (Fri 17-Feb-12 19:49:55)

Standard User dave76
(newbie) Mon 27-Feb-12 02:07:28
Print Post

The Pembroke Dock, Saundersfoot, Tenby and Johnston exchanges are now showing as live - I checked last week, using the same details and they weren't live then (not even planned!). But given what has previously been said by other forum members I know that all claims should be taken with a large pinch of salt!

Still nothing showing for Milford Haven.

Any word from your contact in Neyland?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to