User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian007jen
(member) Thu 15-Mar-12 23:47:26
Print Post

Re: What decides which exchange to unbundle?

[re: mrdaveyk] [link to this post]

Hi

is there any proposed dates to speed upgrades, apparently the hardware is in place its just waiting to be placed on-line?

If you put your number in here https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

if it reads something like this
For Telephone Number 0143776**** on Exchange HAVERFORDWEST

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 7Mbps and 8Mbps.

Your exchange is planned to have ADSL2+ by 31st March 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 17Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 17Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

The important bit is all the ADSL2 gubbins, if you see something like this then you may be receiving a speed upgrade soon.

Ian

Edited by ian007jen (Thu 15-Mar-12 23:57:13)

Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Mar-12 08:12:36
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Not Claified?
No problem. I am in Pembroke - Close to Bush Hill so 3 km physical line length from the exchange at Waterloo Roundabout In Pembroke Dock.

My line moves to Vivaciti Surfwise LLU on 20th. It seems a well kept secret at this stage, even very recently TalkTalks own Customer services couldnt give me a date for LLU at Pembroke. I got a tip here from someone who had looked it up for me when his exchange suddenly had availability and he tipped me off that I could get upto 24meg through Vivaciti.

I called them and they confirmed it.

I am on the exchange in question and have a live order in place to migrate to LLU upto 24megs through Vivaciti - All of that was in my post. - although since receiving an email yesterday afternoon there is some confusion on my part about when this will happen.

It seems Talktalk want new customers so badly they restrict access to information via the web having removed information (or putting it behind a log in) and prefer you to deal with their sales droids who appear to be in the dark about things because as recently as 2 weeks ago they told me there was no information about LLU provision for Pembroke and having been able to get no information from Talktalk itself I avoided a positive mention except for noting something that I had heard about them offering upgrades to exsiting customers - some ISPs favour moving existing customers off of the more expensive BTw service before mounting a drive to recruit further customers.

Someone recenly posted about Talktalk business in another thread, and mentioned a quite long contract tie in which can be a major downside in these times where jobs and income can suddenly exvaporate.

The confusion arises by people taking Samknmows as gospel - which it isnt, and while the site MAYbe accurate about some xchnages it seems increasingly out of date and misleading due to a lack of information/co-operation from providers, in the case of Pembroke it has not changed to even reflect the growth of this area, I did email them about this a while ago - and to let them know about the inaccurate line count the exchange location map is laughably inaccurate considering the echnage sits beside a major junction, nothing has changed, and the site has lost some credibility for me.

I had an email from the Surfwise provisoning team saying I was expected to go live yesterday - but as this seems to be running a day late I think I may well be moved today - having ordered last Friday late afternoon.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
Market 1 (IPSC) - a BT group investment NOT Spot
VP status Red
Leaving the BTw 8 meg crawl behind thanks to Vivaciti LLU from 20th March
Standard User mrdaveyk
(newbie) Mon 19-Mar-12 21:21:23
Print Post

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

word of mouth in work today was that BT have been calling round homes to inform people their internet speed will increase to 24mb in the next two weeks as BT will be going over to ADSL2 on the waterloo exchange.

hows vivaciti going weezil?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Mar-12 00:04:59
Print Post

[re: mrdaveyk] [link to this post]

Seeing a steady 8.9 average on a sync now at 10043Kbps, so slightly above the Kitz estimate for my attenuation. Its a shame my line has a 43db attenuation, but the checkers suggest that is right for a 3km line

Strange that BT are said to be about to unbundle here - as it wasnt on a spreadsheet someone posted a link to in the last couple of weeks (wish I could recall where) and the RFS date they published for Milford Haven a couple of months back has now suddenly been pushed out to 2013 according to Samknows.

Vivaciti Surfwise LLU - Finally free of the BTw crawl.
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Mar-12 09:06:44
Print Post

Well I had a decent sync till BT decided to poison my 2wire router with a firmware update... woke up this morning and wondered why I couldnt open some web pages... then the little light bulb came on in my head and I founf that my MTU was back to 1500 and on checking I have the new version of BTs Crippleware, which according to the router forced a restart about 2.30 am.

Now I have to try to get round to a restart this afternoon to put my sync back on top line.

Isnt is a shame that BT group are not as keen to upgrade exchanges as they are to prat about with peoples routers? Muppets. Time to look up how to poison the provisioning server link.

Standard User huwwatkins
(member) Tue 20-Mar-12 09:25:43
Print Post

Agreed - cant fault them for throughput - getting a consistent 12-14 meg out of a ~14000kbps sync. Hopefully better when I can get my low sync issues solved.
Standard User hazzatori
(newbie) Tue 20-Mar-12 10:18:22
Print Post

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

Well after following these posts for a few years now, and holding out that some higher prescence will enable a faster than *8Meg connection at Pembroke Dock, i thought now was the right time to chip in, while also thanking Warweezil for a bit of help via email recently.

I used to live in Manchester and work for Virgin Media, so i got very fast and very cheap 50meg BB (but i always found virgins service to be anything but what was advertised i did find with ADSL what ever your sync was is basically what you got, (save for sky connect) so moving to rural Wales i almost shed a tear as i watched the power lines and telephone cables turn to hills and fields.

So up until yesterday i was on AQUISS ADSL Max, Atteuation - 35Db, Noise - 8Db but could only get around 2-3 meg at best, I removed ring line, stripped old extensions out nothing would improve it, but yesterday i took the plunge i took out the master socket, clipped off 2 inches of cable and re-fixed...... 8MEG!! straight way, looking at the wire it had corroded at the ends (its about 40 years old), ran new extensions around the house, using 6 core external cable, added new filters to each device now my phone even sounds better!

Why must Openreach feel no one knows what they are on about, basically if you get a ADSL signal above 512k then its working, and any callout which would result in nothing happening woudl = a couple of hundred quid, yet my strictly not legal - not illegal touching of the drop line/feed in fixed the problem. I am not saying everyone should do it, but they should offer a cheaper service to basically service the line from the pole to your house upon request.

So now I have ordered VIVACITI surfwise and expect to get between 14-16meg according to various calculators around the interwebs. so thx to all of you who post your info and rumours as its got me through the last 3 years with some hope, and now finally i can play Xbox live while the kids YouTube! its not much to ask in this day and age....

Edited by hazzatori (Tue 20-Mar-12 10:24:22)

Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Mar-12 12:31:48
Print Post

[re: hazzatori] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hazzatori:
Well after following these posts for a few years now, and holding out that some higher prescence will enable a faster than *8Meg connection at Pembroke Dock, i thought now was the right time to chip in, while also thanking Warweezil for a bit of help via email recently.

Happy to help, Im no expert, but will happily pass on my own experiences for anyone to consider when looking at suppliers.

What I have noticed is a rise in latency over Enta, bbc.co.uk now has a 47 average, Vivaciti.net is 48ms and jolt.com is through the roof. I have also noted some problems with podcast downloading - and even a new build of Cyanagenmod for the androids here too far longer than usual to come down. I have reverted to automatic DNS serttings having been using Commodo, but the ping remains the same.according to Jdast it is consistent across the tests I have been running ver the last few days.

Can do no more till later after I restart the router to try to regain the sync that BT borked during the night while meddling with my routers firmware - thats the downside of using ex BT kit. I think my connection may need to "fettling" before it is where I expect it to be.

Standard User huwwatkins
(member) Tue 20-Mar-12 12:36:41
Print Post

Ask them to turn off interleaving. I am now getting 19ms ping to bbc.co.uk
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Mar-12 13:25:02
Print Post

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

Yeah probably a good idea... only have my head half in this this week... preparing for a friend coming to stay for a week... just as the car decides that it feels like a break lol

will drop a ticket on them this evening.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to