User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Aug-12 12:14:50
Print Post

Talk Talk

[link to this post]

TT are now in my area.. and im wondering if they do a buy out thing as we have not long re-newed out contract with BT frown

Would love to switch to get 24mb from them as 8mb in this house with 4 people is not ideal

BT 8MB
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Wed 01-Aug-12 12:41:30
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

No i don't think TalkTalk (or any isp for that matter) will buy out your existing BT contract. However TalkTalk would probably offer you half price essentials or plus package for 12 months so any saving you make there could be used towards the costs of ending your contract early with BT. I remember back in August 2010 i paid BT 12 months up front line rental...1 month later TalkTalk LLU'd my exchange. So lost £100+ with BT when moving to TalkTalk ADSL2+ but sooooo glad i am away from a BT (spit) based ADSL1 service smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 01-Aug-12 12:43:21)

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Aug-12 13:16:46
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

£142 to cancel with BT so not bad at all really.

Took the plunge... and ordered with TT

Essentials with Unlimited BB up to 24mb but estimated we will get 17.1 but im sure we will get the full 24 as the line is very short

How long does it take TT to connect a new customer? Im switching from BT. I know they say up to 15 days but I hope to get connected before then.

No MAC code needed witch was news to me!

BT 8MB

Edited by Seansmit17 (Wed 01-Aug-12 13:41:20)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Wed 01-Aug-12 14:49:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
No i don't think TalkTalk (or any isp for that matter) will buy out your existing BT contract

Orange did offer to buy out several months of my BT line rental when I spoke to sales a few weeks ago. That would have been for a 21CN WBC broadband and line rental deal, however I 'm currently not contacted to BT nor another ISP for broadband.

I didn't accept the deal because I'm not in their "network area" but it is possible that if I was contracted to an ISP for broadband then something could have been negotiated...
(experienced) Wed 01-Aug-12 16:17:12
Print Post

Yes it takes around 2 weeks to switch to talktalk, this is normal. Also no MAC required but in my case when I told Goscomb I was leaving them to join Talktalk they generated a MAC anyway which I never ended up using.

Also try using an Infineon chip router as that is most likely to give you the highest sync speeds....talktalk use Infineon equipment at the exchange. Netgear dgn1000, dgn3500, draytek 120, 2820, 2830 etc are some of the routers with an Infineon chipset.

Welcome to the UK's most hated ISP grin

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
(experienced) Wed 01-Aug-12 16:18:09
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I stand corrected smile

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Wed 01-Aug-12 16:54:32
Print Post

I stand corrected smile

Not really because it was the remaining BT line rental contract costs that would have been covered by Orange if I had left BT - the exact details of how it was worked out I can not recall: something like a fixed or "up to" sum of money, as an incentive, that would have covered the remaining months of my particular BT line rental contract - and breaking a BT broadband contract was not relevant in my case smile

However if I was in their "network area" (and I'm an occasional user of an Orange PAYG mobile phone) then the 21CN WBC unlimited broadband and line rental deal would have been very attractive, e.g. £5 + £13.50 line rental with off-peak calls.

Edited by 4M2 (Wed 01-Aug-12 17:08:29)

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Aug-12 17:48:11
Print Post

Thanks lol.

Well, im coming from BT.. cant get any worse! Can it? tongue

I have this feeling TT are going to limit my connected speed to 17mb tho but we shall see.

Got an connection date of the 15th .. 14 days from now. Why cant it be sooner dam it lol

BT 8MB
(experienced) Wed 01-Aug-12 18:07:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by Seansmit17:
I have this feeling TT are going to limit my connected speed to 17mb tho but we shall see.

Stop worrying mate, TalkTalk are very conservative when it comes to speed estimates. They told me i could 'only' get 9 meg yet i'm currently getting 18 meg...and this is on a attenuation of 29db grin What's your current downstream attenuation?

As soon as you go live, register on the forums for support. If your line is capable of the full 24 meg sync and you don't get that at the start, then request to change your downstream SNR to 6db - Talktalk's default is 12db.

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 01-Aug-12 18:10:30)

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Aug-12 18:12:09
Print Post

Currently its 11.5 but it moves around from 11 to 13 depending on the time of day.

SNR is 15.7

Lucky for me im close to the exchange. Its like a 3 min walk away smile

TalkTalk ??Mb
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb
(experienced) Wed 01-Aug-12 18:19:02
Print Post

Currently its 11.5 but it moves around from 11 to 13 depending on the time of day.

SNR is 15.7

Lucky for me im close to the exchange. Its like a 3 min walk away smile

In that case you're almost certain to get the full 24 meg sync...even taking into account the potential 2-4db increase in attenuation when going from ADSL1>ADSL2+. You may not even need to ask TalkTalk to adjust the SNR from 12 to 6db to achieve the full 24 meg sync. Fancy swapping homes? LOL

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 01-Aug-12 18:20:01)

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Aug-12 18:27:29
Print Post

If you want to live in this [censored] hole sure tongue

TalkTalk ??Mb
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Aug-12 22:03:35
Print Post

..... They told me i could 'only' get 9 meg yet i'm currently getting 18 meg...and this is on a attenuation of 29db....

I would have expected a maximum of around a 16M sync on ADSL2+ with a 29dB attenuation and normal SNR.
How do you squeeze 18M out of it?
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Aug-12 22:37:04
Print Post

TT are no better than BT surely. If BT is cheaper stick with BT, but if TT is cheaper (taking into account if you have to pay cancellation with BT) then it makes sense to make the move. Don't spend money unnec. between these two companies!

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Wed 01-Aug-12 22:37:31)

(experienced) Wed 01-Aug-12 23:36:09
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
TT are no better than BT surely. If BT is cheaper stick with BT, but if TT is cheaper (taking into account if you have to pay cancellation with BT) then it makes sense to make the move. Don't spend money unnec. between these two companies!

Why should the OP stick with a BT 'up to 8 meg service' (ie no BT 21CN at his exchange) when he can get TalkTalk ADSL2+ 'up to 24 meg' service? TalkTalk LLU beats a BT (spit) ADSL1 service any day....faster speeds, no slow down at peak times and far far cheaper. No brainer really.

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
(experienced) Wed 01-Aug-12 23:42:32
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:
..... They told me i could 'only' get 9 meg yet i'm currently getting 18 meg...and this is on a attenuation of 29db....

I would have expected a maximum of around a 16M sync on ADSL2+ with a 29dB attenuation and normal SNR.
How do you squeeze 18M out of it?

By matching router chipset to DSLAM chipsetwink If i use any broadcom router, then cannot sync any higher than 16.5 meg (on a 6db noise margin), yet using a Infineon router (Draytek 120 v2) i sync at just under 18.5 meg.

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Aug-12 04:33:14
Print Post

This

We are looking at £143 to cancel with BT witch is fine by us, we was expecting it to be more than that. A lot more.

There is 4 people here in this house and 8Mb down and 448K up is just not enough when all of us are on the internet at the same time.

With TalkTalk now providing LLU services we can get 24mb from them.

On top of that we was paying BT the following:

£14.90 Line Rental
£21 Option 3 Broadband
£35.90 Per Month.

With TalkTalk we will be paying:

Broadband With Evening & Weekend calls £3.25
Line rental £14.50
£17.75 Per Month.

After 6 months is goes up to £21 a month from £17.75 and that's much cheaper that BT

Its just a shame we all have to wait 2 weeks to get this

TalkTalk ??Mb
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Aug-12 11:59:30
Print Post

We are looking at £143 to cancel with BT witch is fine by us, we was expecting it to be more than that. A lot more.

Broadband Option 3 and Unlimited Evening and Weekend Plan has a termination charge of £8.25 per month. Was it that package you cancelled, with a bit over 17 months remaining?

And yes, that's a lot less than £35.90 * 17! Everyone seems to hate on Ofcom, but it was they who pressed the telcos to lower their termination fees.

Oliver.
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Aug-12 12:48:01
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

We are coming up to our 3rd month into a 18 month contract.

TalkTalk ??Mb
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Aug-12 12:59:23
Print Post

We are coming up to our 3rd month into a 18 month contract.

Ok. Have a look here if you haven't already, to double check things: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc...

Oliver.
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Thu 02-Aug-12 13:13:07
Print Post

Are you really referring to the line attenuation? If yes, then you have a defect developing somewhere in the pair. The attenuation should never vary -- as it is proportional to the wire diameter and length.

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Aug-12 13:43:12
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Well its still 11.5 and its always been moving slightly for years.

Anyone know what modem/router ill get?

TalkTalk ??Mb
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Edited by Seansmit17 (Thu 02-Aug-12 13:43:36)

Standard User epyon
(experienced) Thu 02-Aug-12 18:41:57
Print Post

Maybe a d-link 2680.

Sky Fibre Unlimited
40/10

"A Half Speed Customer"
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Aug-12 21:16:08
Print Post

By matching router chipset to DSLAM chipsetwink If i use any broadcom router, then cannot sync any higher than 16.5 meg (on a 6db noise margin), yet using a Infineon router (Draytek 120 v2) i sync at just under 18.5 meg.

Where on earth have you heard that from? I been told by people who know about these things that it is a load of rubbish and matching chip sets don't make a difference what so eever.

There are good and bad chipsets and that is what makes the difference.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALL PAY Wireless broadband
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 02-Aug-12 21:35:42
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Ask them to explain why BT give out Huawei modems for Huawei cabs, and ECI modems for ECI cabs on the FTTC rollout.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Edited by BatBoy (Thu 02-Aug-12 21:36:15)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Aug-12 21:57:07
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Ask them to explain why BT give out Huawei modems for Huawei cabs, and ECI modems for ECI cabs on the FTTC rollout.

Maybe Bt gets a good deal on the products , or maybe using Huawei Modems with the cabs make it easier for them to spy on people. i don't trust that company one bit.

Seems strange that Bt who used a company to spy on their users should pick Huawei

Adrian

ALL PAY Wireless broadband
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 02-Aug-12 22:21:39
Print Post

Or maybe there's something in matching chipsets after all wink

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
(experienced) Thu 02-Aug-12 22:36:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Where on earth have you heard that from? I been told by people who know about these things that it is a load of rubbish and matching chip sets don't make a difference what so eever.

Well like you i used to think that matching chipsets was just old wives tale...hence for the last 2 years i've been using a broadcom router on my talktalk LLU (infineon) line. However a few weeks ago i went for a separate modem/router combo and surprise surprise, the draytek modem (infineon chipset) syncs significantly higher than any of the broadcom routers, so yes it does appear that matching chipsets can give you the highest sync speeds. Having said all this, Infineon routers are NOT great at handling unstable lines so if i was on a very long line, i would continue using a broadcom router which are known for their stability. But as my line is shortish, line stability isn't an issue...and the Draytek appears to be rock solid smile

Billion 7800N (Broadcom 6358)
Downstream sync: 15049 kbps
DS Attenuation: 27db
DS SNR: 6.1 db

Billion 7800N (Broadcom 6358)
Downstream sync: 17849 kbps
DS Attenuation: 27db
DS SNR: 3.0db (tweaked)

Linksys X2000 (Broadcom 6328)
Downstream sync: 15990 kbps
DS Attenuation: ?
DS SNR: ~ 6 db

Draytek 120 v2 (Danube Infineon)
Downstream sync: 18383 kbps
DS Attenuation: 29db
DS SNR: 6.1 db

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Thu 02-Aug-12 22:38:50)

Standard User professor973
(member) Fri 03-Aug-12 00:34:07
Print Post

Coming away from the Broadcom chipset and switching to a Draytek Vigor 120 and Apple Airport Extreme, constantly gives me a 3db lower SNR and a higher sync. I have the speedtests to prove it. Especially impressive on upload according to the whacky BT tester.
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/2697/uploadr.jpg
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/t/4141191-re-new...

Edited by professor973 (Fri 03-Aug-12 00:39:28)

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Aug-12 05:46:06
Print Post

I can also confirm that there is something to it.

I changed my router back in 2008 so it matched the chipset used by UK Online.

I had a long line with 59db attenuation and got 8mb on adsl2 After i got a new router, (i cant remember what it was but it had the same chipset as was in the exchange) and i got 12mb from the same line

TalkTalk ??Mb
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb
Standard User Myth
(committed) Fri 03-Aug-12 07:49:09
Print Post

please consider causality when you share these anecdotes.

A router syncing at a lower snr will always give you more speed. The SAME router syncing at lower snr will give you more speed.

As to the other anecdotes, it seems that just moving away from broadcom chipsets increases sync speed, but was this due to a drop in snr?

The only conclusion so far is that broadcom chipsets aim for a higher SNR.

edit: frogmellas data supports the non-broadcom chipset giving greater sync at same snr, I'm not sure it supports exchange-chipset match giving extra sync. bf, have you got a 3rd chipset that clarifies this?

I have 3 2wire 2700s, a linksys wag54gs, a thompson 585(v7?), and a zyxel645R and the 2wire's (bought because they are more "stable" on a long line) just sync'ed at 15dB snr giving a dismal, stable speed. All the others sync'ed at 6dB SNR and have given about the same speeds over 4 different houses.

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!

Edited by Myth (Fri 03-Aug-12 07:51:54)

Standard User Benno79
(newbie) Fri 03-Aug-12 08:22:39
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

I'm in the same boat,

I have had an estimated cancellation charge from BT and I think its about £110.

My estimated speed is 18.9 meg, my line is 37 metres from the exchange.

I'm due to go live on the 8th so I will let you know what speed I actually end up with.

cheers

Ben
(experienced) Fri 03-Aug-12 08:41:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by Myth:
edit: frogmellas data supports the non-broadcom chipset giving greater sync at same snr, I'm not sure it supports exchange-chipset match giving extra sync. bf, have you got a 3rd chipset that clarifies this?

I also tried a cheap £5 TP Link modem 8817 from fleabay which uses trendchip chipset..again this synced slightly higher than both the broadcoms @ 16 meg (with 6db SNR). Shame it took me 2 years to find out that a broadcom router wasn't the fastest for my TT LLU line...partly because like many, i thought matching router>dslam chip meant diddly squat...which i now realise was a fallacy smile

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Aug-12 16:34:19
Print Post

Why should the OP stick with a BT 'up to 8 meg service' (ie no BT 21CN at his exchange) when he can get TalkTalk ADSL2+ 'up to 24 meg' service? TalkTalk LLU beats a BT (spit) ADSL1 service any day....faster speeds, no slow down at peak times and far far cheaper. No brainer really.

Because, if you read any of his posts in FC, he is on a very tight budget. Spending additional on luxuries like faster internet connections is not wise. Neither is looking into bonding internet connections either.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Aug-12 16:37:27
Print Post

Who exactly are these "people that know about things" then Adrian?

It stands to reason that matching chipsets are statistically going to play nicer together because you can bet when the chipset is being developed they test it more with their own products rather than the competitors, but not always..

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Aug-12 17:49:25
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Because, if you read any of his posts in FC, he is on a very tight budget. Spending additional on luxuries like faster internet connections is not wise. Neither is looking into bonding internet connections either.

You dont pay much attention do you.

BT = £40 PM
TT = £17.50 PM

ugh

TalkTalk ??Mb
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb
Standard User Myth
(committed) Fri 03-Aug-12 18:36:44
Print Post

interesting. I'm not able to say I've ever matched chipsets (how do you find out?) so I can't say that matching made no difference for me yet. I'm also wondering if it makes a bigger % difference on faster lines so on my 3-4meg line I wouldn't notice anyway.

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Fri 03-Aug-12 18:51:56
Print Post

...I'm not able to say I've ever matched chipsets (how do you find out?)...

For a guide: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_explanation.htm - scroll down to Vendor ID.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Aug-12 18:52:40
Print Post

If it's genuinely cheaper then move. If it's cheaper but you are taking a blind eye to the cancellation fee's with BT which are extortionate then I would advise you don't.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Gene_Genie
(newbie) Fri 03-Aug-12 19:30:34
Print Post

With TalkTalk we will be paying:

Broadband With Evening & Weekend calls £3.25
Line rental £14.50
£17.75 Per Month.

After 6 months is goes up to £21 a month from £17.75 and that's much cheaper that BT

Its just a shame we all have to wait 2 weeks to get this

Don't forget Value Line Rental, which would effectively cut the line rental to £9.50/month.smile
Standard User Benno79
(newbie) Sat 11-Aug-12 14:40:33
Print Post

[re: Gene_Genie] [link to this post]

So I went live with talk talk on friday, my predicted speed was 18.9 meg.

Speed has been all over the place, my downloads also seem to start slowly for a while and then speed up, almost like its burstable bandwith,

I've just done a speed test on the site and I'm getting 3.3 mb. I was getting 7.5.mb on adsl with bt. I live opposite the exchange, I think my line is 37 metres long.

router stats

Mode: ADSL2 PLUS
Type: ANNEX_A

Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 20878 kbps 889 kbps

SNR Margin (dB): 11.9 11.6
Attenuation (dB): 0.0 3.7
Output Power (dBm): 0.0 9.3

Can anyone advise?

thanks

Ben
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Sat 11-Aug-12 15:16:06
Print Post

[re: Benno79] [link to this post]

Can you try using an alternatve router?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 11-Aug-12 17:56:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Benno79:
Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 20878 kbps 889 kbps
Have you tried changing your DNS servers?

Standard User Benno79
(newbie) Sat 11-Aug-12 18:14:18
Print Post

I do have a home hub 2 and 3 and a techniclor router I could try.

How do I go about changing the dns servers?

thanks

Ben
(experienced) Sat 11-Aug-12 22:44:34
Print Post

No need to change DNS servers as they are assigned automatically. Just try a different router and if the problem still persists try the test socket behind the master socket. Also put a request on the TT forums to have your downstream SNR lowered to 6db...this should give you the full 24 meg sync or very close to it.

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User Benno79
(newbie) Sun 12-Aug-12 08:08:31
Print Post

Changing to hh3 has certainly made a difference, strange though that on speedtest.net I get

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2114994418.png

and on think broadband i get

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1...

Ill setup an account on the forums

thanks

Ben
Standard User Benno79
(newbie) Sun 12-Aug-12 08:11:47
Print Post

I also got 19.62 on the checker on talk talks site
(experienced) Sun 12-Aug-12 09:26:41
Print Post

I also got 19.62 on the checker on talk talks site

Then there's nothing wrong with your connection. Welcome to the UK's most hated isp smile

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User Benno79
(newbie) Sun 12-Aug-12 09:33:41
Print Post

Thanks,

more hated than aol? although I suppose they are one and the same these days.

I've sent tt my phone number and account number so I can get access to the forum.

At the end of the day I didn't want to wait until bt had upgraded the exchange by the end of feb. TT are also a lot cheaper, yes maybe you get what you pay for.

I will see how it goes.
(experienced) Sun 12-Aug-12 09:51:14
Print Post

As long as you stick to forum support, you'll have absolutely no issues with TalkTalk. I've been with them for almost 2 years now and still waiting for them to mess up my servicegrin

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Sun 12-Aug-12 14:20:06
Print Post

Welcome to the UK's most hated isp smile

If a survey was done for the most loved UK ISP then TT could come top if it's found that the majority of customers don't have any problems and they are more than happy with the low prices.

It's very tempting to sign up to a TT full LLU contract, it's just a shame that one has to preferably rely on the TT forum to solve any problems.
(experienced) Sun 12-Aug-12 14:47:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by 4M2:
it's just a shame that one has to preferably rely on the TT forum to solve any problems.

I don't think its such a big deal to have to rely on TT forums for decent support...after all companies such as giff gaff and Vodafone require you to go to their forums for decent support. Now before anyone says what use is the forum if your connection is down
a) it's extremely rare for a broadband connection to be down for an extended period of time
b) in the unlikely event your connection is down then in this day and age I'm sure people have access to 3G smartphones, neighbours Internet, library Internet or even dial up Internet.

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Sun 12-Aug-12 14:54:59
Print Post

...or even dial up Internet.

Good old Plusnet gave me that for free when I reported a line fault last year - the fault wasn't so bad that I had to use it though smile
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Aug-12 21:38:20
Print Post

...or even dial up Internet.

Good old Plusnet gave me that for free when I reported a line fault last year - the fault wasn't so bad that I had to use it though smile

How many people got a dial up modem these days? i got one in my laptop and I got a external one, but it needs a serial port to work. I got a PCI one somewhere as well, not sure if windows 7 would have any drivers for it mind you.

I just realised, i don't have a phone line any more, so i could not do that.

Adrian

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Sun 12-Aug-12 22:20:04
Print Post

laugh
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Aug-12 23:17:59
Print Post

laugh

i suppose I could connect my dial up modem to my voip, not sure if it would work, I presume it would as faxs will work that way, but not really a good idea and not much of a back up, as if my broadband goes belly up, so does my voip smile

That is a thought, if fax goes via voip, that means the digital fax, gets converted to analogue audio and then get converted back to digital before it even reaches the fax machine.
Oh dear, my brain hurts.

Adrian

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Sun 12-Aug-12 23:42:54
Print Post

Sorry don't know anything about fax machines and voip...but I'm sure you will figure it out smile
Standard User Myth
(committed) Mon 13-Aug-12 07:35:02
Print Post

I don't think its such a big deal to have to rely on TT forums for decent support...after all companies such as giff gaff and Vodafone require you to go to their forums for decent support.

Vodafone do have phone support and online live chat support as well as email support. I can say that with 12 years on vodafone the connection was great but the non-UK support is horrendous.

Giffgaff on the other hand ONLY have forum support, and this is provided by their customers. They then payback the customers that helped others. This is their business model, and at present I have spent £30 on my phone and earned £40 payback smile

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-Aug-12 08:42:57
Print Post

If you sign up on the TalkTalk members forum, ask a rep to reduce your default noise margin down to 6db and you should easily gain another 3.5/4Mb in sync speed.

-

Xilo.net Office 21CN
Standard User Benno79
(newbie) Mon 13-Aug-12 10:36:08
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

I've signed up, I'm just waiting for the confirmation email.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Aug-12 13:33:08
Print Post

Giffgaff on the other hand ONLY have forum support, and this is provided by their customers. They then payback the customers that helped others. This is their business model, and at present I have spent £30 on my phone and earned £40 payback smile

The trouble with the Giffgaff forum is that for every question you get 20 near identical answers because everyone is trying to earn their 1p, many of them with a signature graphic trying to "earn" referrals.

And the fact that so many similar questions are posted leads me to think that a lot of people post a question they know the answer to in order to get themselves (2nd sim) or others payback.

And of course the "serious" problems like billing errors and port-in issues problems have to be handled by staff away from the forum.

But yeah, the prices are good. smile

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Mon 13-Aug-12 13:33:56)

Standard User Benno79
(newbie) Mon 13-Aug-12 18:33:42
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Hi I asked for profile to be changed on forum

i got this reply

I have changed the profile from 12db to 6db interleaved.

Downstream Rate 24540 kb/s
Upstream Rate 1020 kb/s
Downstream SNR 6.6 dB

Please can you monitor the connection to see how it compares.

speed seems no different though these are my router stats

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 02:51:26
Downstream: 23.97 Mbps
Upstream: 1021 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.7 dB / 12.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 2.4 dB / 2.3 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 16.2 dBm / 9.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 778 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 7 / 7
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Aug-12 18:35:00
Print Post

Almost Wednesday.

I feel like a kid at Christmas lol.

Just 1 more day to go!

Got the talktalk dlink modem/router today but I wont be using it I dont think.

Ive got a Netgear DG834v4 that I want to use as I can tweak the SNR etc with DMT Tool myself laugh

TalkTalk ??Mb
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Other ISP's used over the years: AOL Supanet Pipex Tiscali Eclipse Zen
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Aug-12 18:36:09
Print Post

Seems good!

Dunno why they got you on Interleaved tho.
Dont really matter all that much unless you are a gamer.

TalkTalk ??Mb
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Standard User Benno79
(newbie) Mon 13-Aug-12 18:42:32
Print Post

I was expecting speed to increase but its no better, Don't get me wrong 20mbit is good but 23/24 would be better smile
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Aug-12 18:44:41
Print Post

It might take a few hours or a few days to actually see your download speed go up to match your sync speed.

Just post back on the TT forums and let them know that your download speed is still the same as it was, even tho your sync speed has gone up

TalkTalk ??Mb
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Standard User Benno79
(newbie) Mon 13-Aug-12 18:44:54
Print Post

Im now getting around 11 with speed test
(experienced) Mon 13-Aug-12 18:47:34
Print Post

Im now getting around 11 with speed test

Try this speedtest
http://internet-speedtest.net/

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User Benno79
(newbie) Mon 13-Aug-12 18:49:00
Print Post

9897 kbps
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Aug-12 18:50:35
Print Post

I like my speedtest:

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=13448...

Download Speed: 7139 kbps (892.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 381 kbps (47.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

It lies!

TalkTalk ??Mb
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Standard User Benno79
(newbie) Mon 13-Aug-12 19:26:10
Print Post

Got a letter from bt, expected it to be final bill but they want the hh 3 back so ived plugged the tt d-link router back in.

stats from that

WAN Statistics

Service VPI/VCI Protocol Received Transmitted
Pkts Errs Drops Pkts Errs Drops
- 0/38 PPPoA 59272 0 0 36763 0 0
- 0/65 RFC 1483 0 0 0 109 0 0

LAN Statistics

Interface Received Transmitted
Bytes Pkts Errs Drops Bytes Pkts Errs Drops
Ethernet 444392 3519 0 0 404356 3478 0 0
Wireless 7911171 45357 14428 14428 77901470 56653 7 7

ADSL Statistics

Mode: ADSL2 PLUS
Type: ANNEX_A

Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 24383 kbps 1020 kbps

SNR Margin (dB): 6.2 7.4
Attenuation (dB): 0.0 3.6
Output Power (dBm): 0.0 9.3

Super Frames: 54640 54641
RS Correctable Errors: 4514 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 3 0

HEC Errors: 21 0
Total Cells: 48481 47254
Data Cells: 1621345 112790
Bit Errors: 0 0
(experienced) Mon 13-Aug-12 20:14:48
Print Post

Leave the TT router plugged in for a few days and monitor your speeds via the TT speedtester...that way TT will have a record of your speeds. If you're still getting low speeds after a few days, then request for a free replacement router on the TT forums. Or you could do what i did and and just dump the TT router altogether...just buy any half decent Infineon router and bobs yer uncle smile
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NetGear-DGN1000-150-Mbps-4...

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User Benno79
(newbie) Mon 13-Aug-12 20:42:10
Print Post

thanks for the tips smile
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Aug-12 11:48:32
Print Post

What's your attenuation? If it's <15db doubt you'll need to tweak the SNR.

-

Xilo.net Office 21CN
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Aug-12 21:43:03
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

17db so plenty of room there.

Im wondering when it will all get switched over.. We have an in house pot going lol.

I picked before 10am. Fingers crossed! If I win I get a free KFC meal xD

TalkTalk ??Mb
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Aug-12 11:05:00
Print Post

I lose frown

Not been connected yet. I was looking forward to some chicken!

TalkTalk ??Mb
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

(experienced) Wed 15-Aug-12 11:19:42
Print Post

I lose frown

Not been connected yet. I was looking forward to some chicken!

That's a shame cos the day i went live on TT LLU, my BTw tel/broadband went dead from 9am & at 10am my TT service was live. Two hours later i had even managed to get my SNR reduced to 6db and put on a fastpath profile via the TT forum. You may get an unstable connection for the first few hours, nothing to worry about...it'll just be the Openreach/Qube engineer faffing about at your exchange. Keep us posted smile

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Aug-12 13:39:37
Print Post

Still nothing.

Ive seen horror stories of others going past the go live date with nothing happening crazy

TalkTalk ??Mb
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Standard User Benno79
(newbie) Wed 15-Aug-12 14:21:51
Print Post

Are you sure you haven't switched over already? I didn't even notice any down time with mine. I just did a speed test and I was getting 20mb instead of the 7.5 I was getting with bt. My home hub 3 was still plugged in.
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Aug-12 14:46:19
Print Post

Im live now.

Net went down for about 10 mins.

Got the profile change to 6db.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 24575 kbps 1019 kbps
Line Attenuation 14.0 db 5.7 db
Noise Margin 2.4 db 12.1 db

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2121262324.png

SNR is low due to my own tweaking. Ill be sorting that out.

TalkTalk ??Mb
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Edited by Seansmit17 (Wed 15-Aug-12 16:38:31)

(experienced) Wed 15-Aug-12 21:23:26
Print Post

Wow those are pretty impressive stats. What's your sync speed at the 6db noise margin? If possible try using a Infineon router as that will you the best sync speeds eg Netgear dgn1000, 3500, draytek 2820,2830, 120

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
(experienced) Wed 15-Aug-12 21:29:38
Print Post

Also if you're going to be rebooting your router frequently (eg tweaking noise margin) then ask the OCE to switch off DLM on your line.

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Aug-12 22:00:51
Print Post

I get

Connection Speed 21835 kbps 1019 kbps
Line Attenuation 15.0 db 5.7 db
Noise Margin 6.4 db 12.4 db

So I will be tweaking it so the SNR sits at 2.5 so I get the full 24mb xD

Not been getting any errors on my line thus far.

Reconnected with my SNR tweaked with this:

Connection Speed 24224 kbps 1019 kbps
Line Attenuation 14.5 db 5.7 db
Noise Margin 2.8 db 12.0 db

TalkTalk 24Mb 24575/1019
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

(experienced) Wed 15-Aug-12 22:18:23
Print Post

You'll probably find using an Infineon router will give you the full 24 meg sync at 6db noise margin so no need for tweaking. Which router did TT supply you with? If its an echolife hg532 then give that a try just to check sync speed - it uses an infineon chipset.

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Aug-12 22:26:29
Print Post

Na, I got given a Dlink 2860 or what ever it is.

That gave me a 18mb sync with 12db and 21mb sync with 6db.

Ill grab a infineon modem/router next week

TalkTalk 24Mb 24575/1019
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Aug-12 07:26:57
Print Post

Just ordered a 2nd hand Netgear DGN1000 from amazon for £9.99 + £4.99 P&P

Will see how it compares to my Netgear DG384v4

My Netgear will now sync at around 21000k @6.3db SNR

Im hoping the new DGN1000 will sync at the full 24575k at the same SNR smile

TalkTalk 24Mb 24575/1019
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Standard User Benno79
(newbie) Thu 23-Aug-12 08:10:35
Print Post

Let us know how you get on I'm also looking to replace the 2680 I got from tt
Standard User crey
(regular) Thu 23-Aug-12 09:04:33
Print Post

I thought attenuation should remain constant??

Regards
Clive
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-Aug-12 09:37:03
Print Post

[re: crey] [link to this post]

Depends on how modem is calculating it.

If some frequency bins are wandering in/out of use, they this can affect attenuation calculation

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User crey
(regular) Thu 23-Aug-12 10:00:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah. OK thanks. You learn something new every day smile

Regards
Clive
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Aug-12 10:40:25
Print Post

Yep, I can see it happening over the weekend with DMT tool.

But I have found out that my line attenuation is higher than it should be. Not by much mind.

I should be seeing about 7-9db of attenuation for my line length. My line is 595-610 meters long. I know this after having a chat a few days ago with an BTO engineer that was at the cab down the street.

Also found out that my line does go though the cab. I thought being this close to the exchange I would have an EO line. But all the houses before the cab are EO lines.. obv lol

TalkTalk 24Mb 24575/1019
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-Aug-12 11:28:34
Print Post

DGN1000 - might be OK, but have memory of moans about it being a poor router (or was that another router?)

The DGN2200 did me fine for a year or so

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Aug-12 12:09:30
Print Post

There is mixed reviews.

Most are complaining the wireless is pants but thats of no concern to me. As long as the ADSL side of it works well ill be happy smile

TalkTalk 24Mb 24575/1019
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Standard User colin1951uk
(regular) Tue 28-Aug-12 17:18:16
Print Post

I've just picked up a DGN1000 for zilch from a freind who was going to dump it.

I'm not impressed with downstream stats tho.

After two hours this is what I get:-

Connection Speed 13725 Kbps 936 Kbps
Line Attenuation 17.2 dB 7.5 dB
Noise Margin 15.0 dB 15.1 dB

With TT Dlink and my Billion routers downstream is about 1.5kbps higher although everything else looks about right.

I'm still using dlm and am wondering if I should get the line reset and restart the training.

Comments?
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Tue 28-Aug-12 18:22:50
Print Post

It's junk. So is the DGN2000

DG834g synced several Mbps higher and held on. Both of the 2000 and 1000 couldn't do either. Wifi always kept dropping to 1Mbps on both. Not had this issue on any other router.

I would go as far as saying Belkin stuff was better.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 28-Aug-12 18:23:10)

(experienced) Tue 28-Aug-12 18:29:27
Print Post

[re: colin1951uk] [link to this post]

Go to the TT forums and

1) As you're currently on a 15db profile, ask to be put on a 6db interleaved profile. No need for fastpath unless you do gaming - iinterleaved profiles sync at least 0.5 meg higher than fastpath.

2) Ask to have DLM switched off on your line and you can freely switch on/off your router without worrying about the DLM kicking in.

No such thing as a training period on TalkTalk LLU smile

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Aug-12 03:24:11
Print Post

Do as baby has suggested.

The reason for you low sync is the 15db SNR. If it was at 6db I would expect to see a connection of 20mb or more

TalkTalk 24Mb 24575/1019
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Aug-12 16:26:41
Print Post

Got the DGN1000 today... and well.

It syncs at 1mb more than the DG384v4 :\

22545 Down and 1019 Up

TalkTalk 24Mb 24575/1019
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

(regular) Thu 30-Aug-12 20:52:47
Print Post

I put my DGN1000 in the grey bin! Syncs been diving to below 13Kbps downstream (funny how upstream has remained consistent though.)

I've reverted to my Billion job and I'm now at just above 15Kbps downstream.

Maybe the Netgear was a duff unit..well it was free so nothing lost.

I'll try the 6db profile as baby_frogmella suggested and hopefully I'll do better with that.

See how it goes.
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Aug-12 22:04:13
Print Post

Just to save confusion, you mean 13mbps or 13000kbps

TalkTalk 24Mb 24575/1019
BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

(regular) Fri 31-Aug-12 00:58:31
Print Post

Sorry I meant the DGN1000 had dropped to something like 12400 Kbps d'stream (can't remember the actual figure now I've dumped it) after 24hrs.

With my Biliion back I'm now at 15475 Kbps d'stream which is what it was more or less stabilised at before I connected up the Netgear box.

So suggests something was bad with that DGN1000 and hence it's history.

Hopefully will get something better with the Billion at 6db...I'll let you know if interested.
Standard User Benno79
(newbie) Fri 31-Aug-12 14:58:19
Print Post

I think the general view is that this router isn't really worth getting. I notice some people recommend the draytek adsl modem but then you need to buy a router to go with it. Is there anything else that can do the job that isn't so expensive? If not I may just stick with the talk talk supplied d-link.
(experienced) Sat 01-Sep-12 07:02:33
Print Post

I notice some people recommend the draytek adsl modem but then you need to buy a router to go with it.

But you could buy a Draytek 120 v2 modem for around £50 and then connect your existing modem/router to it and use it in 'router' mode only. Alternatively you could buy a cheap router such as this - the Draytek 120 converts PPPoA to PPPoE so you can use a cable router. The draytek uses the latest Infineon Danube chipset so you're pretty much guaranteed the optimum sync, it syncs at 18.3 meg on my 29 db atten line grin

Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to