User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Aug-13 17:46:09
Print Post

Re: How long till it is stable?

[re: PunKrocker] [link to this post]

If it aint broke don't fix it. The same applies to ISPs. I always find moving away from where I'm happy is never a positive experience so I stick with what I know now. If you can get it cheaper elsewhere, instead of switching providers try to haggle a discount with the current provider smile

Best of luck. If the fault does follow you hopefully it'll get resolved.
Standard User Futaura
(committed) Sun 11-Aug-13 00:58:16
Print Post

Don't be too quick to believe what you were told! Something still obviously isn't right even if 5Mbps had been knocked off your sync speed for Plus TV. As has already been said, post your issue on the TalkTalk support forums, including your stats previously whilst using Sky BB. It looks to me like BTOR stuffed something up when connecting you to TT's equipment. An OCE on the forums will be able to help you I'm sure.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Aug-13 17:59:17
Print Post

[re: Futaura] [link to this post]

While I would expect Plus TV to use perhaps 5 Mbps of bandwidth if actually streaming IPTV content, I have not heard of it doing any bandwidth reservation when nothing is playing.

Most content most people watch on the YouView boxes is really just DTT over the antenna on their roof.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PunKrocker
(committed) Sun 11-Aug-13 19:20:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thats what I thought, I got the impression that after (many) hours on the phone they did not have a clue, the final call I was told 3.8mb is all I would get and I had to pay £50 for an engineer to visit. I cannot accept this service nor do I want to deal with the Philippines call center ever again, my wife has contacted Sky and is in process of returning to them (with my tail between my legs) wink

Again thanks for all for help folks, much appreciated

Rob

P~K

"Some mornings, it's just not worth
chewing through the leather straps."
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sun 11-Aug-13 19:50:16
Print Post

Its normal for those on the TalkTalk Plus TV package to have a lower broadband speed , the extra bandwidth is reserved for the TV service. When the TV service was first launched, many existing TT customers (who signed up to TV) sync speeds dropped by at least 5 meg but the original speeds returned after putting a request on the TT forums.....so nothing to be alarmed about. You need to go on the TT forums and request to be put on a standard 6db fastpath or interleaved profile. Its pointless asking TT's phone support...you may as well talk to a brick wall.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-Aug-13 20:07:27
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

No way was that ever going to get back to the 20Mbps speeds they saw before without an engineer.

Also why would it reserve 5Mbps for TV? Surely it would still sync with that extra 5Mbps? Or am I wrong here?
Doesn't the YouView TV just download via the router much like skys on demand services?
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sun 11-Aug-13 20:39:34
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
No way was that ever going to get back to the 20Mbps speeds they saw before without an engineer.

Also why would it reserve 5Mbps for TV? Surely it would still sync with that extra 5Mbps? Or am I wrong here?
Doesn't the YouView TV just download via the router much like skys on demand services?

Yeah i know, its more than likely the OP will require an engineer visit. However as things stand he's not on TalkTalk's optimum profile aka 24FSNR6 or 24ISNR6. TT forums were deluged with complaints from nearly every existing customer once their plus tv service went live re: lower sync speeds. I don't know the ins and outs of how/why TalkTalk reserve bandwidth for the TV service but the fact is that taking out the tv will lower your sync speeds by default and the only way to reinstate the speeds appears to be by asking an OCE on the TT forums.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 11-Aug-13 20:44:47)

Standard User Myth
(committed) Sun 11-Aug-13 20:46:26
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

if TT want to reserve bandwidth, they will have to do it within the TT network (or via QoS)

Having a lower sync speed can only give a better TV service to OTHER customers, not the actual customer suffering the reduced sync.

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Aug-13 21:07:01
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

Unless it is a way of them trying to ensure less errors, i.e. reducing buffering.

Seems odd when router based QoS can reserve bandwidth at the time it is needed. Sounds more like the old HomeChoice service description and that changed to on demand reservation in time.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Aug-13 23:02:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If the modem stats in the first post are to be believed it only has a ~ 10dB margin and on a 23dB attenuation line should still be giving way way faster sync than sub 1Mbps those stats are showing. If the stats are to be believed (and the Sky router is showing a variation of the same story) there must be a massive external noise source fouling things up. Could this be a faulty router PSU? Only if it was left on when the Sky router was tried otherwise the source is a bit of a mystery but the only change that would have been made going from Sky to TT apart from the router would be at the exchange end and my guess would be a problem there.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to