User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(committed) Thu 13-Sep-18 16:58:17
Print Post

Re: Talktalk out of 10

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
In reply to a post by Chippy_Tea_:
You portray yourself as the in the know internet problem solving guy everyone trusts to sort their problems and yet you choose to do so using phone support even though everyone who "is in the know" wouldn't touch it with a barge pole because of its bad reputation and because there are far better ways of getting help, online live chat and the community support forum are the best means of contacting Talk Talk and have been for quite a while so i ask myself why such a switched on guy would use the worst method when there are better alternatives.

No connection, so how is it possible to get online support?

Mobile phone!

Have all the people you have helped lost connection so you couldn't use any other method of contacting TT or are you just trolling?

I think everyone reading this knows the answer to that question.

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Thu 13-Sep-18 16:59:42)

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Sep-18 17:50:11
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Really the only issue with TalkTalk is foreign customer service on TalkTalk residential - if you can speak to UK staff there's typically not much of a problem - speaking of which TalkTalk Business(UK support staff - sosodef) have an offer on at the moment and you can get £73 cashback from Topcashback. It's a two year contract but I believe you can end it early in the second year by paying an early termination fee of £100(?).
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Sep-18 18:38:48
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

Yup, TTR use overseas call centres when requiring phone support and it can be frustrating having to deal with them. However their forum support staff and twitter staff are all Uk based and are pretty good when it comes to resolving issues.

Re:TTB, no idea what their early termination charges are mid-contract, however They usually increase their prices 1-2 times each year and that allows you to leave penalty free provided you leave within 30 days of them informing you of price increases.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User stepdey
(newbie) Fri 14-Sep-18 09:27:49
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Didn't they switch from call centers based in India to ones in South Africa ?
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Sep-18 13:13:14
Print Post

[re: stepdey] [link to this post]

You may well be correct, the last time(last few months) I spoke to staff about possible migration they were indeed South African(who I rank better than Indian cs).
Standard User sosodef
(newbie) Fri 14-Sep-18 19:24:00
Print Post

Thanks for the heads up spud. Is TTB seems to be about 30 pounds a month and 2 yr contract. Speeds seem good but am swaying towards to the cheaper home broadband.

Also since I donít have a business will they still let me have it?
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Sep-18 23:02:39
Print Post

[re: sosodef] [link to this post]

TT Business have UK based customer service, TT residential have UK staff on their forums(not phone AFAIK) - but they take a couple of days to respond to a post in my experience. If customer service is likely to be important to you, if you want to just pick up the phone and speak to a British person, you should probably avoid TT residential.

Many businesses are sole traders, people trading under their own name, not aware of any reason TT Business would bar you from purchasing their product.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Sep-18 08:53:13
Print Post

[re: sosodef] [link to this post]

I've been with both TT Residential and TT Business in recent years and can explain the main differences between the 2:

TTB + points:

* 7 Day phone support, Warrington based. Any issues are usually resolved in a single phone call - their tech support are very good.

* Option to have a static IP address if req'd. This used to be free but is now charged at £1 per month. No such option on TTR.

* Option to have advanced line calling features on your landline, eg conference calling. These features are chargeable if going for the basic 'simply' package but come free if going for the 'complete' service. The latter also comes with inclusive calls from your landline phone.

* Free new line installation, if req'd.

TTB - points:

* Increased cost. Their cheapest 80/20 FTTC service costs £36 pm incl line rental (£29.95 + vat) versus £25 pm for TTR

* Increased min contract length of 24 months (18 months on TTR)

* No fixed price guarantee, ie TTB can (and usually do) increase services charges mid-contract. At least once a year in my experience.

* AFAIK they still give out the old Technicolor router which is a bit meh, unlike TTR who give out their latest Sagcom router which is supposed to be quite good. However on both TTB and TTR you are free to use your own router so its not that big of a deal.

At the end of the day, you will be paying more on TTB primarily for better phone support - line performance & reliability will be the same.

Only you can decide whether the extra cost can be justified...

(Btw TTB do allow non-Business users to use their services.)

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 15-Sep-18 09:02:35)

Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(committed) Sat 15-Sep-18 13:02:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spud2003:
TT Business have UK based customer service, TT residential have UK staff on their forums(not phone AFAIK) - but they take a couple of days to respond to a post in my experience. If customer service is likely to be important to you, if you want to just pick up the phone and speak to a British person, you should probably avoid TT residential.

Having been a TT customer for more than ten years i can honestly say people shouldn't be put off by phone supports reputation you may never need to contact support * and if you do and find phone support lacking there is Online chat, the community forum, Twitter and facebook.

* remember customers rarely visit forums like this to tell others how good an ISP is but always do to tell everyone how bad they are!

Online chat is very good as the language barrier is not an issue i have used this in the past and was very impressed you also have the option at the end to copy the conversation as evidence.

The support forum is not manned by their staff at weekends but they have experienced customers who can answer most things and if its an emergency can flag up other customers threads so the OCE's see them at the front of the queue on Monday morning.

TalkTalkVerified account
@TalkTalk
Welcome to our official feed. Follow us for service updates and latest offers. We're here to help from 8am-10pm Mon-Fri and 9am-5.30pm at weekends.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/TalkTalk/

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Sat 15-Sep-18 13:04:42)

Standard User sosodef
(newbie) Sat 15-Sep-18 15:03:12
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

Cheers Baby, Chippy and Spud.

I think i will go with the TTR when my discount on VM runs out. I will try to use the online chat or forums for help. I guess i can use the internet on my phone to contact via these platforms if all else fails. Would you recommend buying over the phone or online? The guy on the phone seemed to offer me 25 pound for tv freeview box and 76MB internet.

I dont like the idea of mid-contract price rises and the 24 month contract. Even the 18month contract is a bit long but sometimes I think if the service works well, then its a good thing.

I have sky dish and wires left over from previous owners, anyone know if that will plug into the youview box from TT and receive digital freeview channels?

My aerial is in the loft otherwise and maybe a bit old.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to