User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dercoss
(committed) Tue 03-Dec-19 15:46:53
Print Post

Blocking Remote Desktop

[link to this post]

I'm not a TalkTalk customer but I do quite a bit of remote desktop work for my customers and because of this company's aggressive approach to remote software it's becoming nearly impossible to work with this way. I know you can turn off this setting within your TalkTalk account but it seems to be that they ignore that setting on subsequent attempts to login remotely, seemingly blocking the software even though the block is definitely turned off in the user account settings.

I've spoken to other techs having the same problems and it seems that their phone support people are being told not to allow any sort of remote connection even where the customer threatens to leave at the end of their contract.

Does anybody here have any experience of this policy and anyway of bypassing the block? Trying to talk to them seems to get nowhere.
Standard User iefbr14
(learned) Tue 03-Dec-19 22:14:39
Print Post

Re: Blocking Remote Desktop

[re: dercoss] [link to this post]

Turning off via "MyAccount" doesn't seem to work and the help desk seems to be next to useless.

Two options .

The TalkTalk registered customer can request that "Scam Protection" be deactivated by logging onto the TT customer forums and requesting that the OCEs deactivate the "Scam Protection".

or ..

Change the DNS settings in the user's TT router to anything other than TT's own DNSs. So use OpenDNS or Google or anything. But be aware that this DNS change will bypass all TT network based products like Homesafe and Kidsafe.

Edited by iefbr14 (Tue 03-Dec-19 22:17:53)

Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(committed) Wed 04-Dec-19 13:01:21
Print Post

[re: iefbr14] [link to this post]

I am a TT customer and use Cloudflare but not for the reason in the OP.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/cloudflare-dns-1.1.1.1-...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Myth
(committed) Sat 08-Feb-20 12:33:18
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

I turned mine off with a phone call to customer services, though I had to say I was an IT tech and knew the consequences etc about 4 times.
Has since worked fine with screenconnect and teamviewer

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Tue 11-Feb-20 12:14:57
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

An awful lot to be said for using Zoom / WebEx instead.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User Myth
(committed) Tue 11-Feb-20 13:38:22
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

only because TT didn't block those? Or because they do some checking into the accounts that get set up?

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
  Print Thread

Jump to