User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Redayejedi
(newbie) Tue 28-Apr-20 20:45:22
Print Post

Re: Helping a friend.

[re: iefbr14] [link to this post]

apologies, i forgot to click continue when editing post. I'm new here wink

My monitor. Virgin M500 Fibre
Standard User iefbr14
(regular) Wed 29-Apr-20 08:03:44
Print Post

[re: Redayejedi] [link to this post]

Those stats look like an ADSL line (and not a particularly good one).

You need the line checked from TT's side, which the forum OCE's can do once the thread gets to the top of the queue.

Post a new thread asking if the old thread has been overlooked.

EDIT - It may save some time if your friend can make sure that their personal information is up to date on their forum profile. Might save a little time if it hasn't already been completed.

Edited by iefbr14 (Wed 29-Apr-20 16:05:13)

Standard User Redayejedi
(newbie) Wed 29-Apr-20 18:03:53
Print Post

Last night i got him to complete the profile wizard on talktalk and start another thread, An OCE is finally in contact with him and they are going through tests as we speak, the usual response was given but they are currently talking it out.

Once again, thanks!

Just trying to find his thread on talk talk now.

Have had to setup a new monitor too as the i.p has changed.
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/...

EDIT: i advised him to reset his router for 30 seconds last night and he left it unplugged for the entire evening, now it has reset the echo response setting and has screwed up the monitor...GAH! will be coming back online at 7pm hopefully.

Edited by Redayejedi (Wed 29-Apr-20 19:12:19)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User NJSS
(member) Thu 30-Apr-20 07:29:06
Print Post

Frankly I am amazed that anyone would put up with this for so long.

I live a few miles to the North, although on a different exchange, Horndean,.

Many in this vicinity have walked away from TalkTalk, and all one needs to do is look here:-

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/compare?isp_2=1&...

to understand why.

It might be worth migrating to Andrews & Arnold, who can virtually assure a great experience. They are not inexpensive, but offer great value for money.

Their Home 1 package, specifically aimed at home users starts with ADSL and 300GB/month download for £25.00 per month.

If after a period of time with A&A your friend could migrate to someone less expensive, but in my experience very few people do.

Good luck.

NJSS

Edited by NJSS (Thu 30-Apr-20 07:43:50)

Standard User iefbr14
(regular) Thu 30-Apr-20 10:14:47
Print Post

OK, I have found his thread on the TT forums. But the start of that thread seems to predate our conversations of yesterday. So not a new thread as of last night, and references to a new router ordered yesterday ? So I'm getting confused regarding the sequence of events here. Perhaps "too many cooks" ....

One point is that the "Ben" he is talking to is not a forum OCE (Technically Oriented Support) but someone they have drafted in to help out with workload during the current crisis. So I have no idea how technical this Ben is, or just someone following a script.

Edited by iefbr14 (Thu 30-Apr-20 13:29:49)

Standard User Redayejedi
(newbie) Thu 30-Apr-20 10:52:44
Print Post

it was the 5th time of him talking to someone(live chat for over a month) that said they will get a new router and filters sent, he's just this morning finally received a text saying it was dispatched via DHL.

The routers and filters he currently has are replacements from contact he had with months prior.... still the same situation.

Unfortunately i have been saying for well over 6 months to "get your broadband sorted mate" with it falling on deaf ears. The fact that his family and him are at home more during this time and relying on the connection has lit a fire under his behind but he needed help with it so here i am, i have nothing else better to do.

His package states faster fibre with average speeds of up to 38mb.

One thing we did notice, he left his PC on all night downloading games in excess of 20gb and in the early hours his monitor shows a nearly flat line and they were still not finished when he woke up & 8:30
New Monitor

Edited by Redayejedi (Thu 30-Apr-20 10:54:06)

Standard User Redayejedi
(newbie) Thu 30-Apr-20 10:59:23
Print Post

[re: NJSS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by NJSS:
Frankly I am amazed that anyone would put up with this for so long.

I live a few miles to the North, although on a different exchange, Horndean,.

Many in this vicinity have walked away from TalkTalk, and all one needs to do is look here:-

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/compare?isp_2=1&...

to understand why.

It might be worth migrating to Andrews & Arnold, who can virtually assure a great experience. They are not inexpensive, but offer great value for money.

Their Home 1 package, specifically aimed at home users starts with ADSL and 300GB/month download for £25.00 per month.

If after a period of time with A&A your friend could migrate to someone less expensive, but in my experience very few people do.

Good luck.

NJSS

You and me both!

Thank you very much for the information, have just forwarded over your message to him.

Edited by Redayejedi (Thu 30-Apr-20 11:01:26)

Standard User iefbr14
(regular) Thu 30-Apr-20 11:58:56
Print Post

Re: Helping a friend. *DELETED*

Post deleted by iefbr14

Edited by iefbr14 (Thu 30-Apr-20 12:11:16)

Standard User flippery
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Apr-20 12:50:37
Print Post

See your "stats" link shows a VDSL2 connection. However speeds are similar to ADSL2. This maybe the problem. Due to higher frequency of VDSL2 at those speeds it would be more susceptible to interference than ADSL.2
If the estate is circa 70s, 80s it is likely that the line could be aluminium.
What speed was your friend obtaining before September and with whom
I also note that mod link shows speed being obtained is above minimum therefore fibre should not have been recommended in my opinion.
Standard User burble
(committed) Thu 30-Apr-20 13:51:49
Print Post

There seems to be some misinformation going on, first you say he was promised 'up to 50mb' which seemed odd, now you say he's on 'up to 38mb', this are not promised speed it's just the package. Somewhere he may have a email detailing what he was expected to get, but failing that put his address in the BT checker to see what they say he should get.
BTW, what socket has he got if he's using a filter it should be a pre mk3/4.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to