User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User iefbr14
(regular) Thu 30-Apr-20 16:49:12
Print Post

Re: Helping a friend.

[re: Redayejedi] [link to this post]

OK, I think I am going to step back from this one. The information being provided (admittedly second hand) on these forums does not seem to tie up with what your friend is posting on the TT forums.

And now he thinks he is being "throttled".

The TT forums are the best place to get the issues resolved, but the way his thread is going, with TT not finding any fault, it seems likely that they will suggest a home visit by an engineer. But if they can't find any line fault they can't escalate to BTOR, so it is likely the visit would be by a TT (BrightSparks ?) engineer.

This could well be chargeable, and possibly wouldn't happen during the coronavirus lockdown.

But one thing - tell your friend to stop turning his router off every night. The BTOR DLM system doesn't like trying to talk to an inactive router when it is on an active fibre line. All ISP's recommend fibre routers are left active 24x7. Switching off at night can cause DLM to negatively react and will then take several days to recover.

Good luck.

Edited by iefbr14 (Thu 30-Apr-20 16:52:52)

Standard User iefbr14
(regular) Fri 01-May-20 07:59:52
Print Post

[re: iefbr14] [link to this post]

And now he has started yet another new thread (starting from square one) on the TT forums when an OCE is actively dealing with this second thread (from Tuesday). IMO - it is no wonder he is having problems getting a solution.

How to cause confusing and delay !
Standard User gary333
(committed) Fri 01-May-20 08:47:54
Print Post

With an upload of 0.5mb surely the issue will just be the upload getting overloaded and thus when you try and do anything it takes forever to react. Something as simple as an iPhone being plugged in and uploading, video conferencing (with that lousy upload) would cause upload to run at maximum leaving no availability for any other service to acknowledge the data packets have been received. I see terrible response times if I let one drive max the upload out, speed cap it to 90% off max line speed and all works again.

Also, the poster on talk talk forum keeps talking about packet loss, but from the graphs provided it looks small. Is he under the impression there should be non, as that is not my experience on any line I’ve had. In fact my current FTTC shows a small amount most of the time. Virgin media line was even higher.

You also mention online gaming, this needs a clear ability to upload and will also use a given amount of upload constantly. If this is a family it’s easy to see that the connection wouldn’t be suitable regardless of whether it was faulty or not. If they have no choice around these speeds they would need smarter equipment that could prioritise and speed limit traffic.

Edited by gary333 (Fri 01-May-20 08:58:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mking90031
(regular) Fri 01-May-20 10:57:17
Print Post

Hi,

How old is your friend? Over 100? Sounds like something might wrong with his RAM...Maybe he needs a few more GB's to boost his capacity to remember things!

Yours,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia 735.08 Mbps Down & 36.29 Mbps Up (according to Speed test on XBox 28/03/20)
Standard User Redayejedi
(newbie) Fri 01-May-20 12:05:19
Print Post

His socket and router arrived yesterday??, apparently people have been private messaging him on the tt forums telling him what his problem is and filling his head with nonsense.

I told him last night after seeing he had posted again not to. It's beyond my control now i have shown him what to do unfortunately, which is a shame.

and i quote

[22:25] redayejedi: Don't make another thread mate!.
[22:28]redayejedi: the problem is mate, they are under staffed. that ben was just somebody they drafted in to help with the backlog, give them some time mate.
[22:29] redayejedi: they typically reply in 24/48 hours.
[22:29] redayejedi: your last message was 9 hours ago.
[22:31] redayejedi: give them a few days mate. i know it's annoying but with this virus there is sod all that can be done anyway, this should have been done month ago.
[22:35] Chris: It's gone from bad to worse at the moment, I understand they are truly understaffed but to not even be able to watch a film now without it buffering might as well be on dialup lol, I don't think I was rude with the message it wasn't meant to be.
[22:38] Chris: Now I've got people pm me.

After logging into his account the speed he was promised is up to 38mb. I'm getting told different things so i'm gonna have to stand now. Been saying ages to get this sorted and to now do something during a pandemic is just....well...stupid. Once again, thanks to all of you for your help!!!

My monitor. Virgin M500 Fibre

Edited by Redayejedi (Fri 01-May-20 12:25:20)

Standard User Redayejedi
(newbie) Fri 01-May-20 12:10:32
Print Post

[re: mking90031] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mking90031:
Hi,

How old is your friend? Over 100? Sounds like something might wrong with his RAM...Maybe he needs a few more GB's to boost his capacity to remember things!

Yours,

No, Early 40's actually. Just a medically discharged Army Medic with severe PTSD that has accomplished more than most people, including yourself. So lets not resort to insults please!

Standard User mking90031
(regular) Fri 01-May-20 12:34:15
Print Post

Hi,

Sorry if I came across rude. I was trying to be funny. My EQ is very low due to having high-functioning autism. I would like to pass on my thanks for what he has done for this country. My own father served in the US Army for a short while installing radios in the Middle East, so I an appreciate and empathise.

Yours,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia 735.08 Mbps Down & 36.29 Mbps Up (according to Speed test on XBox 28/03/20)
Standard User Redayejedi
(newbie) Fri 01-May-20 14:43:09
Print Post

[re: mking90031] [link to this post]

No problem at all, the guy is a handful so i can understand why people question his decisions/attitude, it's extremely difficult being the middle man.

He's currently looking at migrating to Andrews & Arnold like a previous poster suggested so hopefully he won't be able to give people anymore grief. I too apologise for my rudeness, i know what the guy has been through so i can be quite defensive about him.

He's just had it with talk talk in general and in all fairness i don't blame him, but there is faults on both sides.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to