User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Redayejedi
(newbie) Mon 27-Apr-20 23:28:40
Print Post

Helping a friend.

[link to this post]

Hello all,

I'm posting this for a friend who has been having lots of problems with talk talk, even before the Covid problems and am after some advice for him as he's not very tech savvy and is currently busy working delivering food to the vulnerable.

He's been with talk talk for approx 12 month on a 18 month contract, was quoted "up to 50 mbps" and get about 3-7mbps but the speed is not the problem, it's the packet loss and instability that's getting absolutely ridiculous and it's been like this since day one apparently!

I managed to get him set up with a monitor and was shocked at the results.
HIS MONITOR

So far he has posted on the talk talk community forums but was ignored (over 2 weeks now) with other people getting near instant replies. Has been sent new filters and router (SAGEMCOM FAST 5364 that replaced the very same model he originally had) after finally getting hold of live chat but had to haggle in order not to get charged. He's running everything wired, no power line adaptor's and doesn't have more that 2 wireless devices connected.

His exchange is https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange...

Any advice i could give him to help get this sorted or getting the contract cancelled would be much appreciated as in my opinion they are just taking advantage of him.

Thanks for reading a wall of text.

My monitor. Virgin M500 Fibre
Standard User BLaZiNgSPEED
(member) Tue 28-Apr-20 02:56:10
Print Post

Re: Helping a friend.

[re: Redayejedi] [link to this post]

Has your friend tried connecting his router to the hidden test socket or via a filtered VDSL Faceplate?

Okay, so he's getting 3-7 Mbps, I don't know how that's not supposed to be a problem. That's way off the promised speeds he's getting.

If he's not getting a minimum guaranteed speed, he should be able to quit TalkTalk penalty free without having to pay the remaining contract.

Are you saying your friend has been on a 3-7 Mbps connection for the entire 12 month time??? If this is the case then I don't understand why he didn't quit before.

Did he have problems with his previous provider? It sounds to me like this is a wiring issue. The up to 50 Mbps may be sign of a very long distance to cabinet/crosstalk.

But still 3-7 Mbps suggest something more serious. Did he try connecting his router to to another device to see if he gets the same issue? Also he should make sure to update his network adapter drivers.

By instability does he mean instable connection such as frequent drop-outs? It could be noise on the line. He can check his phone to see if he hears noise. He can dial 17070 to make a quiet line test. If there is noise, he has to contact the ISP to send in an engineer for investigation.

Edited by BLaZiNgSPEED (Tue 28-Apr-20 02:57:36)

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Tue 28-Apr-20 07:29:11
Print Post

1st off they should get all the line connections data fron the router, sync speeds, attenuation, noise margins, connection/modulation type etc, etc. They will need to login to the routet to do that.
Get all that and post back, we can then see if its a connection issue or might even be they are on standard ADSLx.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iefbr14
(learned) Tue 28-Apr-20 07:59:11
Print Post

Re: Helping a friend. *DELETED*

Post deleted by iefbr14

Edited by iefbr14 (Tue 28-Apr-20 08:00:06)

Standard User iefbr14
(learned) Tue 28-Apr-20 11:10:27
Print Post

[re: iefbr14] [link to this post]

Ok, I have just had a quick look on the TT forums (entering via your user id). A couple of issues .......

Your friends first post on the forums was April 8th. Posts (within threads) are answered in date order (within each OCE's workflow), which at the moment can be a few days. Probably redundant to suggest that this issue should have been escalated a long time ago if it has been "going on for months".

Unfortunately if new posts are added to threads before an OCE has picked up a thread for action then it is moved to the back of the queue, weird, but that is the way the TT system works. So by adding your post on the 10th you have accidentally delayed a response from the TT teams.

It is taking a while, but probably the worst thing you can do is "bump" the thread again, as that will move it to the back of the queue again.

EDIT - a probably nothing to lose alternative. Get you friend to start a new thread pointing to the old thread and ask if it has been overlooked. So you raise the issue, without effecting the timestamp on the original thread.

Edited by iefbr14 (Tue 28-Apr-20 11:40:59)

Standard User Redayejedi
(newbie) Tue 28-Apr-20 13:13:45
Print Post

Post deleted by Redayejedi
Standard User Redayejedi
(newbie) Tue 28-Apr-20 13:31:00
Print Post

First off thank you all for the replies.

He has been contacting them since day one and they have been fobbing him off with saying there is no problem. I have just got off the phone with him and have since found it that his replacement filter and router were never sent but the filter and router he is using is brand new anyway.

He is connected via filtered socket.

The biggest problem is frequent drop-outs, take Discord for instance, he will drop and connect an average of 30-50 times a night talking to us and can't even get a single game session in without time-out.

His PC is on a fresh install of windows 10 with everything up to date.

His cabinet is a good 10 minutes walk apparently, he is at the back of the estate.

He has gone off now to do the quiet line test and to gather his router stats. I will also get him to do another post on the TT forums pointing to his original thread.

Once again, thank you all.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Apr-20 14:13:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Redayejedi:
I will also get him to do another post on the TT forums pointing to his original thread.

The advice was not to do this.
It puts him to the back of the queue again as they answer the oldest posts 1st.
Standard User Redayejedi
(newbie) Tue 28-Apr-20 19:57:50
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

a probably nothing to lose alternative. Get you friend to start a new thread pointing to the old thread and ask if it has been overlooked. So you raise the issue, without effecting the timestamp on the original thread.

quoted from above, if he makes a new thread pointing to it, it shouldn't be a problem. It's been 19 days....

here are his router stats Sorry about the quality.
Stats

Actual Rate [Kbps] 9721 555
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 11098 555
Noise Margin [dB] 9.80 7.80
Attenuation [dB] 31.20 0.00
Power [dBm] 10.10 10.10

Edited by Redayejedi (Tue 28-Apr-20 20:49:19)

Standard User iefbr14
(learned) Tue 28-Apr-20 20:30:33
Print Post

Needs the stats relinking.
Standard User Redayejedi
(newbie) Tue 28-Apr-20 20:45:22
Print Post

apologies, i forgot to click continue when editing post. I'm new here wink

Standard User iefbr14
(regular) Wed 29-Apr-20 08:03:44
Print Post

Those stats look like an ADSL line (and not a particularly good one).

You need the line checked from TT's side, which the forum OCE's can do once the thread gets to the top of the queue.

Post a new thread asking if the old thread has been overlooked.

EDIT - It may save some time if your friend can make sure that their personal information is up to date on their forum profile. Might save a little time if it hasn't already been completed.

Edited by iefbr14 (Wed 29-Apr-20 16:05:13)

Standard User Redayejedi
(newbie) Wed 29-Apr-20 18:03:53
Print Post

Last night i got him to complete the profile wizard on talktalk and start another thread, An OCE is finally in contact with him and they are going through tests as we speak, the usual response was given but they are currently talking it out.

Once again, thanks!

Just trying to find his thread on talk talk now.

Have had to setup a new monitor too as the i.p has changed.
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/...

EDIT: i advised him to reset his router for 30 seconds last night and he left it unplugged for the entire evening, now it has reset the echo response setting and has screwed up the monitor...GAH! will be coming back online at 7pm hopefully.

Edited by Redayejedi (Wed 29-Apr-20 19:12:19)

Standard User NJSS
(member) Thu 30-Apr-20 07:29:06
Print Post

Frankly I am amazed that anyone would put up with this for so long.

I live a few miles to the North, although on a different exchange, Horndean,.

Many in this vicinity have walked away from TalkTalk, and all one needs to do is look here:-

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/compare?isp_2=1&...

to understand why.

It might be worth migrating to Andrews & Arnold, who can virtually assure a great experience. They are not inexpensive, but offer great value for money.

Their Home 1 package, specifically aimed at home users starts with ADSL and 300GB/month download for £25.00 per month.

If after a period of time with A&A your friend could migrate to someone less expensive, but in my experience very few people do.

Good luck.

NJSS

Edited by NJSS (Thu 30-Apr-20 07:43:50)

Standard User iefbr14
(regular) Thu 30-Apr-20 10:14:47
Print Post

OK, I have found his thread on the TT forums. But the start of that thread seems to predate our conversations of yesterday. So not a new thread as of last night, and references to a new router ordered yesterday ? So I'm getting confused regarding the sequence of events here. Perhaps "too many cooks" ....

One point is that the "Ben" he is talking to is not a forum OCE (Technically Oriented Support) but someone they have drafted in to help out with workload during the current crisis. So I have no idea how technical this Ben is, or just someone following a script.

Edited by iefbr14 (Thu 30-Apr-20 13:29:49)

Standard User Redayejedi
(newbie) Thu 30-Apr-20 10:52:44
Print Post

it was the 5th time of him talking to someone(live chat for over a month) that said they will get a new router and filters sent, he's just this morning finally received a text saying it was dispatched via DHL.

The routers and filters he currently has are replacements from contact he had with months prior.... still the same situation.

Unfortunately i have been saying for well over 6 months to "get your broadband sorted mate" with it falling on deaf ears. The fact that his family and him are at home more during this time and relying on the connection has lit a fire under his behind but he needed help with it so here i am, i have nothing else better to do.

His package states faster fibre with average speeds of up to 38mb.

One thing we did notice, he left his PC on all night downloading games in excess of 20gb and in the early hours his monitor shows a nearly flat line and they were still not finished when he woke up & 8:30
New Monitor

Edited by Redayejedi (Thu 30-Apr-20 10:54:06)

Standard User Redayejedi
(newbie) Thu 30-Apr-20 10:59:23
Print Post

[re: NJSS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by NJSS:
Frankly I am amazed that anyone would put up with this for so long.

I live a few miles to the North, although on a different exchange, Horndean,.

Many in this vicinity have walked away from TalkTalk, and all one needs to do is look here:-

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/compare?isp_2=1&...

to understand why.

It might be worth migrating to Andrews & Arnold, who can virtually assure a great experience. They are not inexpensive, but offer great value for money.

Their Home 1 package, specifically aimed at home users starts with ADSL and 300GB/month download for £25.00 per month.

If after a period of time with A&A your friend could migrate to someone less expensive, but in my experience very few people do.

Good luck.

NJSS

You and me both!

Thank you very much for the information, have just forwarded over your message to him.

Edited by Redayejedi (Thu 30-Apr-20 11:01:26)

Standard User iefbr14
(regular) Thu 30-Apr-20 11:58:56
Print Post

Post deleted by iefbr14

Edited by iefbr14 (Thu 30-Apr-20 12:11:16)

Standard User flippery
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Apr-20 12:50:37
Print Post

See your "stats" link shows a VDSL2 connection. However speeds are similar to ADSL2. This maybe the problem. Due to higher frequency of VDSL2 at those speeds it would be more susceptible to interference than ADSL.2
If the estate is circa 70s, 80s it is likely that the line could be aluminium.
What speed was your friend obtaining before September and with whom
I also note that mod link shows speed being obtained is above minimum therefore fibre should not have been recommended in my opinion.
Standard User burble
(committed) Thu 30-Apr-20 13:51:49
Print Post

There seems to be some misinformation going on, first you say he was promised 'up to 50mb' which seemed odd, now you say he's on 'up to 38mb', this are not promised speed it's just the package. Somewhere he may have a email detailing what he was expected to get, but failing that put his address in the BT checker to see what they say he should get.
BTW, what socket has he got if he's using a filter it should be a pre mk3/4.
Standard User iefbr14
(regular) Thu 30-Apr-20 16:49:12
Print Post

OK, I think I am going to step back from this one. The information being provided (admittedly second hand) on these forums does not seem to tie up with what your friend is posting on the TT forums.

And now he thinks he is being "throttled".

The TT forums are the best place to get the issues resolved, but the way his thread is going, with TT not finding any fault, it seems likely that they will suggest a home visit by an engineer. But if they can't find any line fault they can't escalate to BTOR, so it is likely the visit would be by a TT (BrightSparks ?) engineer.

This could well be chargeable, and possibly wouldn't happen during the coronavirus lockdown.

But one thing - tell your friend to stop turning his router off every night. The BTOR DLM system doesn't like trying to talk to an inactive router when it is on an active fibre line. All ISP's recommend fibre routers are left active 24x7. Switching off at night can cause DLM to negatively react and will then take several days to recover.

Good luck.

Edited by iefbr14 (Thu 30-Apr-20 16:52:52)

Standard User iefbr14
(regular) Fri 01-May-20 07:59:52
Print Post

And now he has started yet another new thread (starting from square one) on the TT forums when an OCE is actively dealing with this second thread (from Tuesday). IMO - it is no wonder he is having problems getting a solution.

How to cause confusing and delay !
Standard User gary333
(committed) Fri 01-May-20 08:47:54
Print Post

With an upload of 0.5mb surely the issue will just be the upload getting overloaded and thus when you try and do anything it takes forever to react. Something as simple as an iPhone being plugged in and uploading, video conferencing (with that lousy upload) would cause upload to run at maximum leaving no availability for any other service to acknowledge the data packets have been received. I see terrible response times if I let one drive max the upload out, speed cap it to 90% off max line speed and all works again.

Also, the poster on talk talk forum keeps talking about packet loss, but from the graphs provided it looks small. Is he under the impression there should be non, as that is not my experience on any line I’ve had. In fact my current FTTC shows a small amount most of the time. Virgin media line was even higher.

You also mention online gaming, this needs a clear ability to upload and will also use a given amount of upload constantly. If this is a family it’s easy to see that the connection wouldn’t be suitable regardless of whether it was faulty or not. If they have no choice around these speeds they would need smarter equipment that could prioritise and speed limit traffic.

Edited by gary333 (Fri 01-May-20 08:58:47)

Standard User mking90031
(regular) Fri 01-May-20 10:57:17
Print Post

Hi,

How old is your friend? Over 100? Sounds like something might wrong with his RAM...Maybe he needs a few more GB's to boost his capacity to remember things!

Yours,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia 735.08 Mbps Down & 36.29 Mbps Up (according to Speed test on XBox 28/03/20)
Standard User Redayejedi
(newbie) Fri 01-May-20 12:05:19
Print Post

His socket and router arrived yesterday??, apparently people have been private messaging him on the tt forums telling him what his problem is and filling his head with nonsense.

I told him last night after seeing he had posted again not to. It's beyond my control now i have shown him what to do unfortunately, which is a shame.

and i quote

[22:25] redayejedi: Don't make another thread mate!.
[22:28]redayejedi: the problem is mate, they are under staffed. that ben was just somebody they drafted in to help with the backlog, give them some time mate.
[22:29] redayejedi: they typically reply in 24/48 hours.
[22:29] redayejedi: your last message was 9 hours ago.
[22:31] redayejedi: give them a few days mate. i know it's annoying but with this virus there is sod all that can be done anyway, this should have been done month ago.
[22:35] Chris: It's gone from bad to worse at the moment, I understand they are truly understaffed but to not even be able to watch a film now without it buffering might as well be on dialup lol, I don't think I was rude with the message it wasn't meant to be.
[22:38] Chris: Now I've got people pm me.

After logging into his account the speed he was promised is up to 38mb. I'm getting told different things so i'm gonna have to stand now. Been saying ages to get this sorted and to now do something during a pandemic is just....well...stupid. Once again, thanks to all of you for your help!!!

Edited by Redayejedi (Fri 01-May-20 12:25:20)

Standard User Redayejedi
(newbie) Fri 01-May-20 12:10:32
Print Post

[re: mking90031] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mking90031:
Hi,

How old is your friend? Over 100? Sounds like something might wrong with his RAM...Maybe he needs a few more GB's to boost his capacity to remember things!

Yours,

No, Early 40's actually. Just a medically discharged Army Medic with severe PTSD that has accomplished more than most people, including yourself. So lets not resort to insults please!

Standard User mking90031
(regular) Fri 01-May-20 12:34:15
Print Post

Hi,

Sorry if I came across rude. I was trying to be funny. My EQ is very low due to having high-functioning autism. I would like to pass on my thanks for what he has done for this country. My own father served in the US Army for a short while installing radios in the Middle East, so I an appreciate and empathise.

Yours,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia 735.08 Mbps Down & 36.29 Mbps Up (according to Speed test on XBox 28/03/20)
Standard User Redayejedi
(newbie) Fri 01-May-20 14:43:09
Print Post

[re: mking90031] [link to this post]

No problem at all, the guy is a handful so i can understand why people question his decisions/attitude, it's extremely difficult being the middle man.

He's currently looking at migrating to Andrews & Arnold like a previous poster suggested so hopefully he won't be able to give people anymore grief. I too apologise for my rudeness, i know what the guy has been through so i can be quite defensive about him.

He's just had it with talk talk in general and in all fairness i don't blame him, but there is faults on both sides.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to