User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(experienced) Sun 17-May-20 12:31:46
Print Post

Re: Fibre -Are there 2 router types?

[re: BLaZiNgSPEED] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BLaZiNgSPEED:
I had version SG4K10002808t and now its been updated to version SG4K10002810t

I have -

TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub
version SG4K10002808t

Review - https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/talktalk-wi-fi-hub

Looks like mine rebooted 8 days ago - https://i.postimg.cc/8C37sDbv/bbbbbbbbbb.jpg

Verdict

If you’re a TalkTalk customer and want to boost your Wi-Fi coverage, you should definitely take the chance to upgrade to the TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub, as it really does deliver with improved performance. Speeds were impressive and coverage was very good, while we also quite like the new design.

The Wi-Fi Hub certainly a very good effort from TalkTalk, and it’s always good to see ISPs offering more powerful hardware to their customers.

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Sun 17-May-20 12:35:10)

Standard User burble
(committed) Sun 17-May-20 14:02:46
Print Post

[re: iefbr14] [link to this post]

I have two Sagemcom Fast, work very well, I lent one to a business as a router only, it beat hands down the Asus one they had brought on a review.
With the upcoming FTTP this router may get replaced as it has no phone socket and will require a adaptor for those who want to take up TT's phone service with their old phone, and I think this will be many of TT's customers.
Standard User BLaZiNgSPEED
(member) Sun 17-May-20 20:52:09
Print Post

[re: iefbr14] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iefbr14:
Yes, I guessed it was you on the TT forums - because only one person is reporting this issue.

Are you sure your not mis-interpreting DLM activity on your line ?

And "most people use third party routers" - seriously !

But I will leave it with you.

It is definitely not DLM because when the reboot re-synced I was still getting Full 80/20 sync speeds.

Also in the case of DLM the router system up-time should not reset, only the connection should reset.

This is what I observed. Of-course I may be wrong, I don't know if there is a 30 day DLM cycle. If there is this should eventually stop. But TalkTalk OCE were adamant to inform that their routers don't reboot every 30 days.

But of-course if they were confident that their Sagemcom router does not reboot every 30 days, they wouldn't have sent me the Huawei router.

My area only got upgraded to FTTC in October 2019 so my old Netgear routers aren't suitable for FTTC. Especially in this corona virus lock down period I don't like to buy new electronics in case there is fault of some sort.

I am generally happy with the TalkTalk router performance apart from the 30 day reboot.

In reply to a post by Chippy_Tea_:
In reply to a post by BLaZiNgSPEED:
I had version SG4K10002808t and now its been updated to version SG4K10002810t

I have -

TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub
version SG4K10002808t

Review - https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/talktalk-wi-fi-hub

Looks like mine rebooted 8 days ago - https://i.postimg.cc/8C37sDbv/bbbbbbbbbb.jpg

Verdict

If you’re a TalkTalk customer and want to boost your Wi-Fi coverage, you should definitely take the chance to upgrade to the TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub, as it really does deliver with improved performance. Speeds were impressive and coverage was very good, while we also quite like the new design.

The Wi-Fi Hub certainly a very good effort from TalkTalk, and it’s always good to see ISPs offering more powerful hardware to their customers.
Well your router version was probably SG4K10001400t and then it got upgraded to version SG4K10002808t.

It will probably be upgraded for you soon again to SG4K10002810t.

Btw, when my router got upgraded my download speed dropped to 68.8Mbps from 80Mbps. I don't know whether this was DLM interpreting this as a disconnect or maybe early mornings at 5:45am when the reboot happened automatically speeds may be lower than usual.

I saw it flashing red and I thought internet dropped due to DLM. But then suddenly noticed firmware version number change so that was indicative of the firmware upgrade.

I don't know what this firmware does. I am now in a dilemma whether this new firmware will fix the 30 day reboot or whether I should straight away try the new Huawei router that TalkTalk sent me a few days ago.

I don't use WiFi only long Ethernet cable. So any improvements for WiFi in this firmware is irrelevant for me.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gary333
(committed) Sun 17-May-20 22:14:50
Print Post

They probably sent you out a new router to stop the moaning.

For cheap routers it's good practice for the router to be restarted on a monthly basis. In fact some ISPs i.e. Virgin Media even recommend this themselves, and plenty of routers give the user option to schedule a restart on a regular basis.

No idea why you have a fetish with seeing the router counter ticking up. You know you don't win any prizes for having a bigger number, and if security experts on the internet are to be believed all you are doing is increasing the likelihood of your router being compromised. Failing that, cheap tat routers start to slow down after a month or so, so even if you don't reboot you'll still likely to experience other issues such as WiFi drop outs, poor throughput across internal network etc.

Edited by gary333 (Sun 17-May-20 22:15:33)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-May-20 23:27:31
Print Post

There is no 30 reboot by design on the Talktalk Sagemcom FAST5364.
I've just logged in to 1 that has been SYNCED for 32 days.

This device had been on the go for over18 months and there's 1 report of it rebooting every 30 days on the whole of the internet, and it's you.

I would expect considerably more than 1 report of it rebooting every 30 days if it happened on every single device.

Running firmware SG4K10002808t.

They seem to reboot whenever they feel like it.
It sounds like yours has reached roughly 30 days uptime a couple of times and you've added 2+2 together and got 5.
Standard User BLaZiNgSPEED
(member) Tue 19-May-20 05:08:08
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Believe it or not, that's not the case. I didn't even nag them to send me the new router. They voluntarily offered me to try out the new router replacement for testing purpose and I happily accepted it.

Now personally I've never had issues with my internet even when I had a system connection up time of 56 days on more than 3 occasions with Sky ADSL back 2 years ago. The router system up time would stay on for months on end unless there was power cut.

We don't use WiFi, only wired Ethernet cables. We drilled a small hole in the corner of the partitioned walls of our bedroom and living room and a long 15 meter cable travels from the router from the bedroom where the master socket is located and it feeds all 3 of our computers and the satellite TV receiver.

For me it isn't a big deal whether the router does reboot every 30 days. Because like I said before initially I was in a dilemma whether this is a fault with the router or whether it is connection drop due to line noise or some other programming.

At least with the 2 repeated results, I can safely rule out that it is not a technical fault or drop out due to noise. Personally, I don't think it is a faulty router if exactly on the 30th day the router reboots.

Anyway, on the 26th day connection up-time 3 days ago my router rebooted for a firmware update and I can see the change Version SG4K10002808t -----> SG4K10002810t.

Since TalkTalk don't release any patch notes for their firmware updates. I can make a test one more time and see whether this new firmware solves this and if it doesn't I can then test the new Huawei router out of curiosity. That way I will be able to quickly identify if it is really DLM or the router should it happen again.

We have a choice of routers to test if we aren't happy with one or the other. I believe these routers (quality-wise) are more than good enough to not require buying a third party router.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to