User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-May-20 10:59:15
Print Post

National outage?

[link to this post]

Internet down as of 10.30. Can connect to network just cant pass data. Using opendns so isnt DNS issue

Downdetector website up to 21000 reports so far
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-May-20 11:09:19
Print Post

Re: National outage?

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Possible increase in number of speed tests, but no big gap between 10:30 and now in terms of speed test results, have looked

So maybe things blipped and people are checking now its back.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-May-20 11:17:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yea its back now. Sods law been fine for years, the one time im home working and need it it goes down. Id only bought a new router other day so thought it was that

Edited by bobble_bob (Fri 29-May-20 11:19:26)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-May-20 11:40:01
Print Post

Talk Talk saying it was a DNS issue, which cant be right as i use Opendns. BT also had issues at exactly the same time

How odd

Edited by bobble_bob (Fri 29-May-20 11:41:10)

Standard User burble
(committed) Fri 29-May-20 11:52:43
Print Post

I noticed a problem around 11am, many sites unavailable, all back to normal when I checked at 11:30am.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-May-20 12:03:01
Print Post

[re: burble] [link to this post]

Spike in testing had dyed off by 11:30

DNS with the parental control stuff linked to DNS means it can cause issues more than it used to

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Highland76
(regular) Fri 29-May-20 13:04:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
BT also had issues at exactly the same time

No problems at all with my BT line this morning, I suspect any issues may have been localised (I'm in Inverness).

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Asus RT-AX89X
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-May-20 13:17:02
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

Talk Talk seemed to be national, but there were less reports from BT on downdector so maybe yea more localised
Standard User bs0d
(experienced) Fri 29-May-20 13:44:22
Print Post

[re: burble] [link to this post]

same here, run pihole which queries opendns, google dns and all were fubar at the same time as you.

been fine here for years too, talktalk get a bad rap but for me and my friends they've been fine.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-May-20 14:27:10
Print Post

[re: bs0d] [link to this post]

There customer service seems to get more bad rep than the actual network

Im with Pulse8 but it runs over the Talk Tall network

Edited by bobble_bob (Fri 29-May-20 14:27:46)

Standard User BLaZiNgSPEED
(member) Fri 29-May-20 20:21:43
Print Post

I had the same problem today. But I was sleeping so I don't know when the outage had occurred.

The strange thing is DHCP IP address number changed but the connection uptime remains the same at 7 days.

I think ever since my TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub got upgraded to version SG4K10002810t from SG4K10002808t. The disconnection does not reflect in the router settings.

This is the last error 22.05.2020 18:06:01 Error DHCPC
The WAN DHCP client process has failed on Vlan 36

In the maintenance log. This occurred just over a week ago around 6pm and the strange thing is that after my internet got reconnected connection up-time and system up time did not reset.

But I know that can't be the case as I didn't have internet connection for 20 minutes and the router light was flashing red! The latest router update has been programmed to hide away the internet disconnection to make it seem like the connection had been stable after reconnecting.

And today once again this has happened and my dad said he was without internet for 10 minutes at around 1pm. The firmware upgrade also a couple of weeks ago triggered DLM on a few occasions.

Prior to the firmware upgrade I had a very stable connection aside from the 30 day reboots that I had with the TalkTalk router.

Now this time I do not know whether to blame the TalkTalk service or whether there were outside works. There are building renovation works being carried in my building and maybe that's also something to blame.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-May-20 20:56:17
Print Post

[re: BLaZiNgSPEED] [link to this post]

My connection remained up even tho nothing would work. Thats what confused me. Even after a router reboot i could sync and connect but nothing was working. Couldnt even ping out
(member) Sat 30-May-20 02:41:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
My connection remained up even tho nothing would work. Thats what confused me. Even after a router reboot i could sync and connect but nothing was working. Couldnt even ping out
And the same behaviour that you described has occurred with me once again moments ago. TalkTalk is really a shambolic service, I regret switching to them.

This is my first FTTC package since migrating from ADSL and service was fine first 3 months. Ever since this new stupid firmware upgrade, I don't know if this is coincidental. But ever since then I have this problem every once in a while.

8 days router connection up time is shown but the internet wasn't working at 2:30 am and only came back after 5 minutes with a changed DHCP IP address.

I am currently using Sagemcom Fast 5364 router. I think I will try the new TalkTalk Huawei router that they sent me to see if this improves things.
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Sat 30-May-20 09:27:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by BLaZiNgSPEED:
8 days router connection up time is shown but the internet wasn't working at 2:30 am and only came back after 5 minutes with a changed DHCP IP address.

The reason for that is because your router never lost connection. Your router is measuring the time that it has maintained connection by measuring the time that it has been in contact with your local exchange and has been sending signals backwards and forwards to the exchange to confirm that it still has the link. The internet outage happened beyond your exchange so while your router maintained connection to the exchange, there was no working link beyond that to send and receive data to/from the internet, You lost connection to the internet but you did not lose connection from your router.

It is nothing to do with the firmware on your router or which router you have been using. I have a Billion 8800AXL on an IDNet circuit which reported exactly the same when we had an internet outage of 20 minutes a couple of weeks ago. The link to the local exchange stayed up so the router log shows no loss of connection and the reported uptime shows no gap when we had connection to the exchange but no connection beyond that to the internet.
Standard User ajseeds
(newbie) Sat 30-May-20 14:29:41
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In SW3 websites could no longer be accessed from 10.30am, Friday. ADSL stayed synced, but no onward connection. Affected both lines that we have. Talk Talk's statement that they had resolved the issue at 11.15am was nonsense; we had no access until 1.15pm. Their network is struggling again here this afternoon with pings up to 2s and periods of 80% packet loss. Under-provisioning is what it's called in the trade.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Sun 31-May-20 11:22:46
Print Post

[re: ajseeds] [link to this post]

"Under-provisioning is what it's called in the trade."

Jumping to conclusions!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
(member) Mon 01-Jun-20 03:45:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by GonePostal:

The reason for that is because your router never lost connection. Your router is measuring the time that it has maintained connection by measuring the time that it has been in contact with your local exchange and has been sending signals backwards and forwards to the exchange to confirm that it still has the link. The internet outage happened beyond your exchange so while your router maintained connection to the exchange, there was no working link beyond that to send and receive data to/from the internet, You lost connection to the internet but you did not lose connection from your router.

It is nothing to do with the firmware on your router or which router you have been using. I have a Billion 8800AXL on an IDNet circuit which reported exactly the same when we had an internet outage of 20 minutes a couple of weeks ago. The link to the local exchange stayed up so the router log shows no loss of connection and the reported uptime shows no gap when we had connection to the exchange but no connection beyond that to the internet.
To tell you frankly, all these years having been on ADSL before FTTC (February 2020) this year, I've never had such an experience like this with Sky, Plusnet, Be Unlimited, Tiscali, etc where I've lost connection and have a router show as connected!

The worst experience I had was with Plusnet ADSL when noise margins drop from 9dB to 3dB and speed test shows as 0.10Mbps and the internet is completely unusable and I have to wait for the SNR to recover back to 9dB and then I would get my 12Mbps back and internet was working again. I thought for once when I switch to FTTC all the issues with reliability will be resolved. It seems that's not entirely the case as I have always been skeptical, this is why I chose TalkTalk as a provider. At least with TalkTalk being a budget provider costing me £21.95 a month if the service is not up to par I won't be too annoyed.

But you being on IDNet and also having an internet outage for 20 minutes is unacceptable when you are paying for a much more expensive service than TalkTalk.

So I am guessing that in this particular case if I was with another provider on FTTC then I would not have suffered the outage. But who would know if sooner or later a different provider won't also let you down. Like in your case, it's even more frustrating to pay more for a service but still get an outage.

Super reliability will only be guaranteed with FTTP. But unfortunately I couldn't get wayleave agreement for FTTP with neither Openreach or Hyperoptic due to my bad building management. So I got upgraded to FTTC finally in October 2019 but I knew these problems with internet outages won't fully go away.

Now let's hope that this outage is very rare and most months there are no such outages like that happening. I've been on FTTC with TalkTalk for only 4 months now, impressions aren't very great. Not to mention the TalkTalk Sagemcom router reboots every 30 days which is also something new and unusual for me to see. But I won't even mind that as long as the service remains stable. It was fine first 3 months. Not sure what has happened in the past 2 weeks that has made the service quality drop. I've not had this experience prior to the firmware update. But maybe this is just purely coincidental.
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Mon 01-Jun-20 09:56:41
Print Post

But you being on IDNet and also having an internet outage for 20 minutes is unacceptable when you are paying for a much more expensive service than TalkTalk.

That comment is like saying I should blame Ford if my car is held in a traffic jam caused by road-works. You clearly have no understanding of how either the internet or business works.
Standard User ajseeds
(newbie) Mon 01-Jun-20 15:33:37
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Take a look at today's TBB Headline Story. If you have a better explanation than mine, based upon real data, let's hear it, please.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Jun-20 16:49:05
Print Post

[re: ajseeds] [link to this post]

DNS issues.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
(member) Tue 02-Jun-20 01:50:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by GonePostal:

That comment is like saying I should blame Ford if my car is held in a traffic jam caused by road-works. You clearly have no understanding of how either the internet or business works.
The comparison is not quite the same. The average Joe does not need to study a course to understand why one ISP is less reliable than another and why an outage is occurring.

Most people want a quality service for the money they pay. TalkTalk has had a bad reputation over the years as an ISP and if the outage was a fault from Openreach or a fault in the cabinet then it will be understandable that blaming the ISP in this case wouldn't have made sense. But like you already described the service outage occurred with the ISP but not with the local exchange.

It appears that a more expensive ISP does not always necessarily equate to a more reliable service. Hence why I didn't sign up to a more expensive ISP. Now maybe I shouldn't have gone with TalkTalk exactly, but I certainly wouldn't pay £40 a month for an 80/20 Mbps package because a) that's not very rational and b) it doesn't promise me a more reliable service unless it was FTTP.

I'd be fuming in your position if I paid £38 a month to IDNet for 80/20 Mbps and not receive a specially better service compared to £21.95 with TalkTalk. For example FTTC is always going to be naturally less reliable than FTTP regardless of how reputable the ISP is. I'm not obliged to know how the business works, when I pay for a service I must get the service I am paying for or otherwise I will feel ripped off.
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Tue 02-Jun-20 20:18:48
Print Post

Thank you for proving my point.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to