User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User YogiTB
(newbie) Wed 03-Jun-20 10:52:38
Print Post

TalkTalk Fibre disconnects several times a day

[link to this post]

Since changing from a very stable ADSL to Fibre we are disconnected several times a day. I am not alone, there are a lot of people complaining about this issue on the TalkTalk website. TalkTalk's answer is to send you a different router. If you contact TalkTalk they do a line test which says that the line is okay and email or text you a link to an Openreach video telling you how to connect up your equipment. I did an online "How is your network doing" test and the result said that there was a problem between TalkTalk and my house. I then get told I need to look at my connections in my home. The only thing that has changed with the equipment in my home has been swapping out a ADSL router for a VDSL one supplied by TalkTalk.

Every time we are disconnected I check the router, and it is connected to the Internet. It seemed like we lose the DNS server. I configured the router to use OpenDNS instead of TalkTalk's DNS and we are still disconnected. It looks like TR-069 connections to the router are happening around the time we get disconnected. We are told that over 14 days or less our connection will be tuned automatically and we may suffer a brief disconnection. We are well over that period and we have no problem with the speed when it is connected. Are the disconnections due to this "tuning" and if so why not do it overnight when the least number of people will be affected.

I am so frustrated that I am considering going back to the 8Mbps ADSL which we had no problem with.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Jun-20 12:07:51
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk Fibre disconnects several times a day

[re: YogiTB] [link to this post]

VDSL2 is more sensitive to wiring issues in the home.

Have TalkTalk walked you through testing at the test socket (which disables all the phone extensions in the home)?

The disconnections are not the tuning and should not be TR-069 related.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BLaZiNgSPEED
(member) Thu 04-Jun-20 02:27:46
Print Post

[re: YogiTB] [link to this post]

Are you connected with a wired connection or wireless?

There was a problem I spotted with constant disconnections despite being connected with the Sagemcom FAST 5364 router when one of my mobile phones was connected to WiFi then my connection would intermittently drop even in my wired devices despite router showing as connected.

Turning off WiFi from all the devices and making sure all devices were connected via wired cable solved the problem. Now I don't know if this is simply related to this particular mobile phone device. But I haven't tried testing with other wireless devices to see if this issue does occur.

There was also another problem that I had in the beginning when I joined TalkTalk FTTC in February. Previously I also had only ADSL. Certain websites like Facebook, Lichess would not work at all but others did.

I went to HomeSafe https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/myservices/network/... Turned off Kids Safe and Scam Protection and immediately all these sites were resolved and I haven't had problems since.

My service with TalkTalk FTTC in general has been decent apart from a few issues like 30 day reboot which I'm not too bothered about. Anyway, TalkTalk did send me a new router of different 2020 model Huawei which I haven't tested yet.

There were also TalkTalk outages recently which everyone has experienced where the internet wouldn't work despite showing as connected. This seemed like a DNS issue which they claim to have solved. Prior to that I haven't had these problems.

Also there was a firmware update just over 2 weeks ago which made my speed temporarily drop from 80 Mbps to 68Mbps which also triggered DLM immediately and for a few days I had disconnection problems but that was DLM increasing my speed back to normal again.

Other than these problems my service has been stable, in fact a lot more stable than with ADSL partly because the copper line from the cabinet is shorter. I was on EO Line previously until Openreach in October 2019 upgraded me to a new Fibre cabinet.

ADSL was problematic and with FTTC your connection should in fact be more stable. Make sure you aren't turning off your router or rebooting it periodically as this can trigger DLM. Make sure you also have an MK4 pre-filtered Faceplate installed in your master socket so that way you can plug the broadband connection directly into the master socket instead of separate micro filters. Micro filters aren't suitable for FTTC and yield worse performance.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gary333
(committed) Thu 04-Jun-20 08:23:23
Print Post

[re: BLaZiNgSPEED] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BLaZiNgSPEED:
My service with TalkTalk FTTC in general has been decent apart from a few issues like 30 day reboot which I'm not too bothered about. Anyway, TalkTalk did send me a new router of different 2020 model Huawei which I haven't tested yet.

Hang on a second, you’ve asked on here and been told that 30 day reboots are not an issue. You’ve then whinged on here you don’t want it to happen and then been told you’ll need a far more superior router to stop this happening.

You have then taken time to whinge at Talk Talk, who presumably can see this will go on forever so have sent you a replacement to shut you up.

Yet now you are still calling it an issue (which it isn’t) and telling us that something which might likely (but could reduce it to 14 day, 28 day or just at random intervals) stop the 30 day reboots hasn’t even been tried.

So why waste everyone’s time and continue to say it’s an issue. It’s not an issue, it’s clearly by design else it wold be random. Talk about frustrating.
Standard User BLaZiNgSPEED
(member) Thu 04-Jun-20 09:00:48
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

@Gary, here I am not asking for help but merely responding to the original poster what my experience has been like using TalkTalk FTTC. That my only form of disconnection aside from the TalkTalk's recent outages has been the 30 day reboots, but other than that my connection has been stable last 4 months and should be stable for the OP.

I've also posted my solutions to problems such as HomeSafe feature from the settings that blocks access to certain sites and that turning these settings off resolves these problems. And to also try to use a pre-filtered faceplate. These are all legitimate stuff that would solve connection issues.

I'm not whinging about the 30 day reboot. I'm just stating that this is the only issue I wasn't happy with so far and that my connection has been stable for me apart from that and the recent DLM trigger following the router firmware upgrade.

You're just selectively cherry picking this part of my post and discarding all the rest as if my entire post was about whinging. I was here trying to be mostly helpful to the original poster and give my own experience of the TalkTalk service so far.

Certainly having disconnections several times a day is genuinely frustrating at least I never had any of that experience so far since switching to TalkTalk FTTC from ADSL 4 months ago.
  Print Thread

Jump to