User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User moogles
(newbie) Sun 19-Jul-20 15:42:58
Print Post

TalkTalk terminated broadband after switching from Sky

[link to this post]

This isn't my broadband account specifically but an elderly friend of mine who's now left without any internet.

- Initially had working 40Mb broadband with Sky.
- Seen that TalkTalk are offering broadband and decided to switch to a better offer.
- TalkTalk website showed he could get Faster Fibre 150 so he ordered it after I said it looks good
- Sky suggested don't cancel, just order with TalkTalk and they will do an active line takeover that way there's no downtime. Great advice (not sarcastic, Sky were helpful)
- Install date comes, Openreach engineer installs new VDSL modem.
- Sky account now closed, TalkTalk have taken over the line and broadband
- Check TalkTalk account and a message says the Fibre order has been cancelled
- After contacting TalkTalk and the community forum and been given the run around, it turns out Openreach cancelled the order because the line can't support the speed.
- Left without any broadband by TalkTalk and can't order anything as the property doesn't show up on the system no longer.

Currently stuck without broadband because all checkers relying on Openreach don't allow any broadband faster than ADSL to be ordered. I'm guessing this is due to Openreach's database now having incorrect data and not entirely TalkTalk's fault. However this friend has gone from having internet to no internet now for coming up to 3 weeks.

TalkTalk customer service experience was horrible and suggested he go back to Sky, but obviously can't order what he previously had because of the Openreach database being incorrect.

What is one to do? TalkTalk won't talk to Openreach because he doesn't actually have broadband with them, just the phone line. You can't contact Openreach directly as they're a wholesaler. I'm just posting here for some help on his behalf because I don't know what can be done.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(experienced) Sun 19-Jul-20 16:52:29
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk terminated broadband after switching from Sky

[re: moogles] [link to this post]

After contacting TalkTalk and the community forum and been given the run around, it turns out Openreach cancelled the order because the line can't support the speed.

Have you tried online live chat i have found them better than phone support when i have needed them (which has not been often in my 10+ years with them)

Use the "Chat now" link half way down the page - https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-liv...
Standard User moogles
(newbie) Sun 19-Jul-20 17:05:36
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chippy_Tea_:
After contacting TalkTalk and the community forum and been given the run around, it turns out Openreach cancelled the order because the line can't support the speed.

Have you tried online live chat i have found them better than phone support when i have needed them (which has not been often in my 10+ years with them)

Use the "Chat now" link half way down the page - https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-liv...

I have used the live chat but the "chat now" link doesn't show up. Maybe because it's closed but I noticed I can't access it after using it once.

Either way I used live chat and they went through the modem troubleshooting so I did that for my friend. I did explain that the account section says there is no internet/the order was cancelled but just went ahead with what they were saying anyway.

In the end they said they'd send an Openreach engineer out who never turned up. This was just under 2 weeks ago.

FYI the line actually works and there is a dialtone, and the number can be rung. I have got my friend to post on the TalkTalk forums and initially no one from TalkTalk posted to help. About a week after I got him to tag some OCE's then PM one of them to try and help.

OCE Chris responded and looked into it. He confirmed Openreach cancelled the order and said to speak to the Order team on the phone to place a new order. However they, just as the website say he can't get anything more than ADSL between 4-8Mb speeds. There doesn't seem to be a person that understands at TalkTalk but from what I understand it's because of what Openreach reports.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Sun 19-Jul-20 17:08:25
Print Post

After reading your post, it looks like the Sky sales person may have checked on their system and found that really the line could not take the higher speeds (it was very bad of them not to tell the person who's line it is of this).

Instead the Sky sales person advised that they did not cancel their service and instead contact TalkTalk direct in order to try and order the service (at which point if the order goes through successfully and the service is given, then contact Sky again for them to take over the line and cancel the 40Mb service from them)

Really Sky should activate the original service that was provided

It's possible that the FTTC cabinet is now full and that is why it's only showing ADSL speeds

Edited by robertcrowther (Sun 19-Jul-20 17:14:47)

Standard User moogles
(newbie) Sun 19-Jul-20 17:13:15
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by robertcrowther:
After reading your post, it looks like the Sky sales person may have checked on their system and found that really the line could not take the higher speeds (it was very bad of them not to tell the person who's line it is of this).

Instead the Sky sales person advised that they did not cancel their service and instead contact TalkTalk direct in order to try and order the service (at which point if the order goes through successfully and the service is given, then contact Sky again for them to take over the line and cancel the 40Mb service from them)

Really Sky should activate the original service that was provided

I left out a lot more information to be brief but the phone call with Sky was just to inform them of cancelling. They did not know what services my friend was going to get just that it was with another provider that isn't "Virgin" as it would be through the phone line.

TalkTalk are the ones that allowed the order to progress until termination of Sky, and then left him with no internet.

Sky have done really well as they closed down the account once it was taken over and sent a final bill in good time. They advised not to cancel the line because the new provider will take it over and if he had cancelled there would have been a small period where the line was inactive until re-activated. This way was much better and should work smoothly, as he has switched in the past like this (as have I)
(committed) Sun 19-Jul-20 17:18:30
Print Post

Even though the customer didn't cancel the service directly, TalkTalk did. This is why I always give the advice to people that are ordering a new product type to order a new line first and not switch as if there is a problem then they are not left without internet.

If the cabinet is full, then the person will have to wait until either capacity is added to the cabinet or another customer cancels their service.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Jul-20 17:22:37
Print Post

I do not think Sky has any part to play in this problem, it's down to TalkTalk for selling a service they cannot provide. Yes, maybe also Openreach if their database is wrong, but that's not who the customer contracts with.

Oliver.
(committed) Sun 19-Jul-20 17:27:11
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:

I do not think Sky has any part to play in this problem, it's down to TalkTalk for selling a service they cannot provide. Yes, maybe also Openreach if their database is wrong, but that's not who the customer contracts with.

It depends if Sky knew that they could not get a faster speed, as I would have thought the Sky sales person would have checked on their system to see what was available (normal practice for Sky), this is why the advice given was to " Sky suggested don't cancel, just order with TalkTalk"
Standard User moogles
(newbie) Sun 19-Jul-20 17:33:01
Print Post

Even though the customer didn't cancel the service directly, TalkTalk did. This is why I always give the advice to people that are ordering a new product type to order a new line first and not switch as if there is a problem then they are not left without internet.

If the cabinet is full, then the person will have to wait until either capacity is added to the cabinet or another customer cancels their service.

I hadn't thought of that, but I guess he also wanted to keep his number. Unless you can order a new line and keep your old number? I don't see why the cabinet should be full, he is still connected with a landline and his number, just no broadband. Or is connection to a cabinet and having a phone line mutually exclusive?

In reply to a post by Oliver341:

Yes from what I've been told and involved in Sky have been helpful. In fact he's trying to go back to them and from the contact he's had with them they've said they've seen he had faster broadband before and are looking into it so he can order. So he's got more hope with getting it sorted with them than TalkTalk.

The main annoyance is that TalkTalk have caused the problem and aren't being that helpful (even to the point that the order team deny that he even has any phone line or services with TalkTalk, when the account page online shows his phone number is there). I'm just surprised you can have something working and then suddenly go to nothing and not be able to get access anymore even to your old service.
(committed) Sun 19-Jul-20 17:37:13
Print Post

The phone line is connected to a different cabinet to the broadband part when it comes to FTTC.

It does sound like you might get better progress with Sky, but may take some time getting things back to the way they were.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to