User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sniffer77
(newbie) Sun 22-Nov-20 16:23:06
Print Post

Telephone / broadband cable a few cm under ground help

[link to this post]

Hi all
Looking to have my garden block paved and when prepping I have found my telephone cable is literally only a few cm buried with no slack on the cable.

Can anyone advise what my options are please. Everything is working fine and the line is not damaged.

Who is responsible for the wires? Would they be buried deeper by openreach. There is a telephone small manhole cover in the pavement literally 1 meter from my boundary.

Thanks all
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Sun 22-Nov-20 17:37:10
Print Post

Re: Telephone / broadband cable a few cm under ground help

[re: Sniffer77] [link to this post]

I'm not sure whether the rules include telecomms stuff but a few years ago when I was having an extension built, the digger driver ripped through both the electricity and water supplies.

The builder immediately got his tape measure out but then breathed a big sigh of relief. He thought it was going to cost him an arm and a leg. It didn't they had both been buried more shallow than required. IIRC they were about 6 inches deep but I'm not sure.

plusnet FTTC
Standard User Nightglow
(member) Mon 23-Nov-20 13:52:23
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

Should be around 350mm depth for telecom cables, but ducting varies.

Details in Openreach Developers’ Guide,not sure if there is a newer version,but depths would be the same.

https://www.london.gov.uk/about-us/londonassembly/me...

A quick search finds Openreach has a range of guides & handbooks for download,

Their 'How to build a copper network' should cover what you need to know.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-for-...

Edited by Nightglow (Mon 23-Nov-20 14:02:56)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Nov-20 17:38:31
Print Post

There's no set distance a telephone cable needs to be buried in your garden.
They tend to have them around 350mm on new builds but that's inside new ducts.

Even on the pavement some new FTTP deployments using micro trenching by Virgin and OpenReach are only a few inches below the surface

Direct buried cables in gardens are usually pretty shallow, often just below the surface.

My brand spanking new Virgin fibre is fed over my lawn about an inch below the surface.
All my neighbours who have ordered have the same.

OpenReach have used direct buried cables a fair bit over the decades. Sometimes the cable is armoured and sometimes it isn't.

OpenReach are responsible for the wires.
You can have OpenReach move or lengthen the cable (at your expense).

If it's just your own cable (and not that of your neighbours also) then you could move it yourself. You could even install some ducting.

Personally I'd install some ducting running from the property boundary where the cable enters your property right to to the wall.
If you simply pave over the cable then it could make a future fibre rollout more tricky.

"Technically" anything prior to the master socket is OpenReach's property and you're not meant to touch it, but it really matters not for your own drop cable on your own property.
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Mon 23-Nov-20 18:30:30
Print Post

The other thing to bear in mind is that if this is being done by a contractor to carry vehicular traffic, then it'll be dug out to a depth of several inches to accomodate sub base and screed anyway (unless it's being done in an afternoon off the back of a lorry smile )

plusnet FTTC

Edited by longedge (Mon 23-Nov-20 18:31:17)

Standard User Sniffer77
(newbie) Mon 23-Nov-20 18:52:19
Print Post

Thanks all for the replies.
It's frustrating it's so shallow and causing this issue. It's coming through the garden wall brickwork literally 2 cm under the pavement level. Also at that point the wall is cracked all the way up so I'd imagine that was the cause. That's not the issue though as the wall is to be removed.

There is zero extra cable to dig it lower so that creates more of the problem. Also at the wall box that seems to have been installed badly as it doesn't come up at the wall but a few inches before. This is not a new house so likely done years ago.
I also have to be careful as there are 2 cables together so it's next doors too
The block paving will be dug down usual 8/10 inches and not done on the cheap. I don't want an added expense though for in my eyes a poor installation

Iv called openreach and they are supposedly sending someone out.

Thanks
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Nov-20 22:08:34
Print Post

I would agree with a point made by j0hn83 about putting in some ducting, not necessarily for your existing copper telephone line but in anticipation of a full fibre rollout. For your property you only need to put in a 25mm black MDPE pipe from the boundary with the pavement to the front wall of your house as this will save you untold issues when fibre arrives. If you decide to do this don't forget to put in a draw rope and cover both ends so it doesn't get blocked and no sharp bends.

Edited by dect (Mon 23-Nov-20 22:12:08)

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Nov-20 23:33:52
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

It's interesting reading your recommendation for 25mm pipe as I've spent quite a bit of time looking at ducting for FTTP recently, but in France. I know it doesn't apply here, but in France, the official requirement for telecoms ducting to each property is for two 50mm nominal diameter ducts - usually green or grey corrugated tubing. Many suppliers provide 40mm diameter like this. You can get corrugated tube for cable burial here in the UK in black.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Nov-20 09:06:23
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
It's interesting reading your recommendation for 25mm pipe as I've spent quite a bit of time looking at ducting for FTTP recently, but in France. I know it doesn't apply here, but in France, the official requirement for telecoms ducting to each property is for two 50mm nominal diameter ducts - usually green or grey corrugated tubing. Many suppliers provide 40mm diameter like this. You can get corrugated tube for cable burial here in the UK in black.
Thats interesting.

In the UK its recommended by Openreach for a single 25mm outer diameter duct if fibre only or a single 54mm outer diameter duct (BT Duct 56) for copper + fibre (for a single property).

Edit: Should have added the twin wall corrugated ducting is not approved for use on the Openreach network so would stay clear of that if possible in UK.

Edited by dect (Wed 25-Nov-20 09:12:06)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Nov-20 19:18:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by Sniffer77:
Thanks all for the replies.
It's frustrating it's so shallow and causing this issue. It's coming through the garden wall brickwork literally 2 cm under the pavement level. Also at that point the wall is cracked all the way up so I'd imagine that was the cause. That's not the issue though as the wall is to be removed.

There is zero extra cable to dig it lower so that creates more of the problem. Also at the wall box that seems to have been installed badly as it doesn't come up at the wall but a few inches before. This is not a new house so likely done years ago.
I also have to be careful as there are 2 cables together so it's next doors too
The block paving will be dug down usual 8/10 inches and not done on the cheap. I don't want an added expense though for in my eyes a poor installation

Iv called openreach and they are supposedly sending someone out.

Thanks

It’s just a thought .... but are you sure they are Openreach cables ?

There’s lots in your description that make me think it might be CATV/Virgin cabling

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to