General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User IanB28
(newbie) Mon 15-Jun-20 10:35:15
Print Post

Re: Difference between TBB upload speed and BT Wholesale vie

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I also tried a speed test using the Ookla service, and this gave similar results to the BTW one. Would that be consistent with your thinking?

As I mentioned in the OP, I have raised a formal query with Plusnet - they are currently looking into it. On my original call to them the advisor said he could see the line performing at 8-10Mb/s, so I need a good argument to deploy when they come back and say "your line's working OK"!

Latest results today (not pure because they're over wifi and other devices are active):

TBB: My Broadband Speed Test

BTW

Ookla

Regards,
Ian
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Jun-20 12:35:57
Print Post

[re: IanB28] [link to this post]

No it would not.

Confident though that we do not have a bug limiting FTTC Plusnet customers to 1.9 Mbps on the upload

Only 7% of Plusnet FTTC tests we see record an upload below 2 Mbps, if there was a problem in the code it would be expected to be a lot more than that.

The long term charts also show when Plusnet changed from 2 Mbps to 10 Mbps upload in late 2017

We are only running two upload threads, ookla likely to be doing a lot more as it does with the download.

Firefox user Plusnet 40/10 service http://tbb.st/1592123309333189855

Edited by MrSaffron (Mon 15-Jun-20 12:38:43)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User IanB28
(newbie) Mon 15-Jun-20 15:41:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Andrew,

Thanks for your input - I await Plusnet's response with interest!

Regards,
Ian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User IanB28
(newbie) Wed 24-Jun-20 11:52:37
Print Post

As of Monday I have a response from Plusnet, as follows:
"Thank you for getting in touch. I have run a test down your line and your connection is running above the minimum guaranteed speed for your property. This would indicate that the issue you are experiencing is a wireless problem."
There then followed a bunch of information about how to change wireless channels in my router - helpful in other circumstances perhaps, but not here!

Clearly it's not a wireless problem - the tests I ran when I first reported the issue were done from an ethernet-connected machine.

So, anyone have any further ideas about why such a discrepancy exists between TBB's speed tester and the BT Wholesal and Ookla ones, please?

Regards,
Ian
Standard User ajseeds
(newbie) Sun 28-Jun-20 17:47:46
Print Post

That's the standard reply. All ISPs seem to have bought the same script.

Back to TBB and other speed-tests. It seems to me that TBB returns uplink speeds of about half Ookla, at least for slow speeds:

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9676128254

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15933627296...

Downlink speeds are about the same.

I don't know why this is.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to