General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User IanB28
(newbie) Sun 14-Jun-20 06:40:21
Print Post

Difference between TBB upload speed and BT Wholesale view

[link to this post]

Hi,;

I queried a query with my ISP, Plusnet yesterday over upload speed available on my line,. TBB has been showing this as ~1.8Mb/s ever since I took their fibre service in 2015. Plusnet upgraded this on Oct 2017 with a degree of fanfare, to 8-10Mb/s but my TBB speed tests have never shown this.

Today I ran the BT Wholesale speed test and - lo and behold - it's come out as 10.78 Mb/s (earlyish morning and I guess the network's quiet!). Download speeds are pretty much in agreement between the tests.

Anyone have any ideas why there would be such a distinction in the upload speeds, please?

Here's the TBB link for a test just before the BTW one.

And here's the image of the BTW result

Regards,
Ian
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Sun 14-Jun-20 06:51:40
Print Post

Re: Difference between TBB upload speed and BT Wholesale vie

[re: IanB28] [link to this post]

Did you go on to do the additional test on BTW? It provides more information.

p.s. I'm on 55/10 and I just got 7.9Mbps on TBB and BTW additional test showed
"Upload speed achieved during the test was 9.23 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 10 Mbps"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
... known to some as George
plusnet FTTC

Edited by longedge (Sun 14-Jun-20 07:00:30)

Standard User IanB28
(newbie) Sun 14-Jun-20 09:49:04
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

Hi Longedge,

Just reran the test, and looked at the additional details as you suggested. Results similar to last time in terms of upload speed.

Results here...

Regards,
Ian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User longedge
(experienced) Sun 14-Jun-20 10:09:54
Print Post

I guess that perhaps the BTW test results include the network overheads in the final figure whereas TBB results don't but that wouldn't account for the huge difference. It'll be interesting to know if there is an explanation smile

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
plusnet FTTC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-Jun-20 12:22:11
Print Post

Best explanation

BT Wholesale have IP profile set to 10 Mbps but the Plusnet mirroring is set at 2 Mbps still.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Sun 14-Jun-20 12:51:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I did have the old 40/2 provision in mind but then couldn't understand why two speedtests done at more or less the same time would come up with different results like that and so discounted that explanation.

plusnet FTTC
Standard User IanB28
(newbie) Sun 14-Jun-20 15:23:25
Print Post

Andrew,

Thanks for your post - not sure I completely understand the point about mirroring, so please can you point me at something which explains that?

Regards,
Ian
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-Jun-20 15:50:36
Print Post

BT Wholesale traffic may leave the network before the effect of the Plusnet throttle appears, that is my reasoning

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Sun 14-Jun-20 17:27:16
Print Post

I would suggest that you post on the PlusNet Community forum, perhaps include a link to this thread.

The probability is that your account setup needs correcting and posts on there are monitored by support staff who generally speaking act pretty quickly especially on something easy like this smile .

plusnet FTTC
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Sun 14-Jun-20 18:42:20
Print Post

The TBB test looks very much like a 40/2 service connection, how you are seeing higher upload on the BT test is rather odd. I must admit the BT test is usually wrong for my upload speed but generally it is much lower than my actual speed!

Edit: Just tried the BT Wholesale test and it doesn't complete using Edge browser, just stays downloading. On Chrome it gives a download speed but zero for upload, it never seems to work properlyfrown

Edited by Realalemadrid (Sun 14-Jun-20 18:51:54)

Standard User IanB28
(newbie) Mon 15-Jun-20 10:35:15
Print Post

I also tried a speed test using the Ookla service, and this gave similar results to the BTW one. Would that be consistent with your thinking?

As I mentioned in the OP, I have raised a formal query with Plusnet - they are currently looking into it. On my original call to them the advisor said he could see the line performing at 8-10Mb/s, so I need a good argument to deploy when they come back and say "your line's working OK"!

Latest results today (not pure because they're over wifi and other devices are active):

TBB: My Broadband Speed Test

BTW

Ookla

Regards,
Ian
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Jun-20 12:35:57
Print Post

No it would not.

Confident though that we do not have a bug limiting FTTC Plusnet customers to 1.9 Mbps on the upload

Only 7% of Plusnet FTTC tests we see record an upload below 2 Mbps, if there was a problem in the code it would be expected to be a lot more than that.

The long term charts also show when Plusnet changed from 2 Mbps to 10 Mbps upload in late 2017

We are only running two upload threads, ookla likely to be doing a lot more as it does with the download.

Firefox user Plusnet 40/10 service http://tbb.st/1592123309333189855

Edited by MrSaffron (Mon 15-Jun-20 12:38:43)

Standard User IanB28
(newbie) Mon 15-Jun-20 15:41:07
Print Post

Andrew,

Thanks for your input - I await Plusnet's response with interest!

Regards,
Ian
Standard User IanB28
(newbie) Wed 24-Jun-20 11:52:37
Print Post

As of Monday I have a response from Plusnet, as follows:
"Thank you for getting in touch. I have run a test down your line and your connection is running above the minimum guaranteed speed for your property. This would indicate that the issue you are experiencing is a wireless problem."
There then followed a bunch of information about how to change wireless channels in my router - helpful in other circumstances perhaps, but not here!

Clearly it's not a wireless problem - the tests I ran when I first reported the issue were done from an ethernet-connected machine.

So, anyone have any further ideas about why such a discrepancy exists between TBB's speed tester and the BT Wholesal and Ookla ones, please?

Regards,
Ian
Standard User ajseeds
(newbie) Sun 28-Jun-20 17:47:46
Print Post

That's the standard reply. All ISPs seem to have bought the same script.

Back to TBB and other speed-tests. It seems to me that TBB returns uplink speeds of about half Ookla, at least for slow speeds:

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9676128254

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15933627296...

Downlink speeds are about the same.

I don't know why this is.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to