Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gary333
(newbie) Wed 06-Feb-19 14:20:07
Print Post

Re: Wifi Dropped only on.2.4GHz, 5ghz working Fine.

[re: jingerman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jingerman:
In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
If you get chance run inssider - it lets you see visually the channels in use by APs and the overlaps of channels. It can be quite useful for choosing a channel.

https://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/free/

It also makes you realise how 5Ghz overlap is likely to be a problem soon smile

Yes got inssider, n 5ghz will definitely be next.

By the way my neighbours moved in recently and I can hear baby crying. Your theory of baby monitor might be spot on. I cannot tell them to turn it off ?

Baby monitors can certainly cause a reduction in performance. I have one of the BT camera ones that appears to cause slow downs on devices that are at the furthest reaches of the house when it's on and in a certain position. However, this is no different to when next door moved their routers location (signal went from 1 bar to 4 bars) and I would see drops or slow reactions at certain times on 2.4ghz network.

Obviously you cannot tell them to turn it off as it's their house to do as they please and you don't have a right to owning the airwaves in your own house. You could however overpower their signal by putting the mesh network devices around your house.
Standard User jingerman
(newbie) Wed 06-Feb-19 16:43:08
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
If you get chance run inssider - it lets you see visually the channels in use by APs and the overlaps of channels. It can be quite useful for choosing a channel.

https://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/free/

It also makes you realise how 5Ghz overlap is likely to be a problem soon smile

Yes got inssider, n 5ghz will definitely be next.

By the way my neighbours moved in recently and I can hear baby crying. Your theory of baby monitor might be spot on. I cannot tell them to turn it off ?

Baby monitors can certainly cause a reduction in performance. I have one of the BT camera ones that appears to cause slow downs on devices that are at the furthest reaches of the house when it's on and in a certain position. However, this is no different to when next door moved their routers location (signal went from 1 bar to 4 bars) and I would see drops or slow reactions at certain times on 2.4ghz network.

Obviously you cannot tell them to turn it off as it's their house to do as they please and you don't have a right to owning the airwaves in your own house. You could however overpower their signal by putting the mesh network devices around your house.

Would it be cheaper buy 5ghz usb adapters from china? only 2 devices use 2.4
Standard User jingerman
(newbie) Sun 10-Feb-19 14:38:52
Print Post

Neighbours with baby moved out, so I can forget that theory. frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Sun 10-Feb-19 16:17:26
Print Post

Neighbours with baby moved out, so I can forget that theory. frown

IMO using channel 13 while your neighbors use 11 is more likely to cause issues than someone using a baby monitor.
I get zero issues with a baby monitor in use.
Standard User jingerman
(newbie) Wed 13-Feb-19 11:33:58
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Update:- I have resolved my 2.4ghz wifi issues by plastering tin foil on walls surrounding my router. I hope this will help others.
Standard User jingerman
(newbie) Sun 10-Mar-19 22:19:26
Print Post

Well today, I couldn't even connect to 2.4ghz channel on any device, No internet access secured.

So finally the 2.4ghz radio signal died. Replaced with isp router and everything fine. bye bye asus n56u router RIP
Standard User jingerman
(learned) Sun 17-Mar-19 17:09:31
Print Post

I bought netgear r8000 with 6 antennas and still 2.4ghz issues, went through all 13 channels and only 13 gave more then 15mb all the rest about 5mb.

Used inssider to determin neighbours channels and rssi.

I get the lowest rssi but still issues.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Mar-19 22:00:16
Print Post

It is very common for 2.4Ghz to give very poor performance. Plenty of offices I work with have disabled 2.4Ghz entirely, others have band steering enabled, as the interference in densely populated offices areas is so high the throughput grinds to a "halt."

We are starting to see situations where 5Ghz is also problematic on channels 36, 40, 44 and 48 due to 80Mhz being used.

Regarding equipment, ISP kit is usually more than adequate nowadays for the general population. I have a nighthawk device (a few years old now), my TalkTalk Hub outshines it significantly on 5Ghz range.
Standard User jingerman
(learned) Mon 18-Mar-19 14:51:50
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

A ISP router outshines a 6 antenna third party router 200 pounds? shock horror.

I think I should return it then.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Mar-19 20:27:09
Print Post

A ISP router outshines a 6 antenna third party router 200 pounds? shock horror.

I think I should return it then.
Firstly my statement was that a new ISP supplied device, outshines a device which is many years old. I never stated it outshines a 6 antenna third party router for 200 pounds..

That being said, to be factual the BT Smarthub, BT SmartHub 2, and TalkTalk Hub have 7 antennas. The SmartHub 2 and TalkTalk Hub are Wave 2 AC devices, the X6 R8000 is not Wave 2, and has 6 antennas not 7.

Looking at the Talktalk Hub the wireless is an antenna array of 4x4, vs the X6 R8000 at 3x3.

Looking at throughput tests including Toms Guide, a Netgear X6 R8000 gets a downstream throughput at 5ft of 302.3Mbps on 5Ghz.

ISP Kit p9

This compares to major players ISP Kit as follows:
TalkTalk Wireless Hub 713.9Mbps,
BT SmartHub 713.9Mbps,
Virginmedia Hub 3 726.9Mbps,

The 5Ghz chip on the x6 R8000 is 2x 1300Mbps chips, so single device throughput is restricted to AC1300 on 5Ghz. BT and TalkTalk supply kit which is 1733Mbps at 5Ghz.

Also your 2.4Ghz issues will likely be made worse by this device in the default configuration of 600Mbps and not 20MHz.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 18-Mar-19 20:27:45)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to