Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jingerman
(learned) Wed 20-Mar-19 22:47:22
Print Post

Re: Wifi Dropped only on.2.4GHz, 5ghz working Fine.

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Still struggling with 2.4 speeds, it fluctuates like crazy, Out of Asus n56 / Netgearvr8000 and Plusnet hub one. Im shocked to say Asus has been the best n is back in use.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Mar-19 23:30:45
Print Post

[re: jingerman] [link to this post]

On the PlusNet One Hub, have you tried splitting the SSIDs? Connect as much as possible into the 5Ghz band... You can do this on any router too, e.g. the Asus. Whatever cannot connect to 2.4Ghz will perform poorly, any possibility of upgrading this to 5Ghz? What kit is stuck on 2.4Ghz - apologies if you have already stated I haven't got the chance to re-review this whole thread just yet.

There's options to get onto 5Ghz even for TVs etc.
Standard User jingerman
(learned) Thu 21-Mar-19 16:58:18
Print Post

Only 2 items on 2.4 both laptops, ps4 wired via powernline no issues. everything else 5ghz ok.
Only 2.4 headache no matter what device. Same on 3 routers, PN/Asus/Nightgear r8000.
Isp monitored for 72 hours no issues.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Mar-19 17:24:07
Print Post

If laptops are used close to main router have you considered something such as this?
TP-Link Archer T2U Nano AC600 Wireless USB Adapter, Dual Band WiFi Dongle for PC, Desktop and Laptop, Supports Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP, Mac OS 10.9-10.13 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07LGSDBTF/ref=cm_sw_r_c...

This would give you 5Ghz on the laptop. For further distance there are larger models with antennas.
Standard User jingerman
(learned) Thu 21-Mar-19 23:16:56
Print Post

These are my next buys for sure. Thanks bud
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Mar-19 00:04:32
Print Post

No worries, I am in London in a new build type of flats. I have flats above, below, next door, and across the corridor... 2.4GHz struggles to get 240P Netflix through some evenings on my TV. smile
Standard User jingerman
(learned) Fri 22-Mar-19 09:01:45
Print Post

Damn that's bad.

Update I reported No Internet Secured error to ISP, they said they'll monitor for 72 hours. Today I receive text saying The fault no longer appears to be there so closing ticket.

And everything is back to normal like 5 years ago, single/multiple speed tests full Mb/Dl on wireless.

Very very puzzling.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Mar-19 09:22:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by jingerman:
Damn that's bad.

Update I reported No Internet Secured error to ISP, they said they'll monitor for 72 hours. Today I receive text saying The fault no longer appears to be there so closing ticket.

And everything is back to normal like 5 years ago, single/multiple speed tests full Mb/Dl on wireless.

Very very puzzling.
It is a wireless shared medium, so performance will vary depending on usage in the local area on your section of the spectrum. E.g. when you use channel 13, you experience is very dependant on users on channel 11. All it takes is a neighbours router to reboot, and per ISP default configuration, on AUTO channel selection it may choose channel 1 instead of 11... This could then result in your wireless speeding up, especially if they use the wireless facility heavily.

Naturally, their router may choose to come back to C11.

Or it could be they have left the router on, and it's still on C11 but their usage has dropped extensively e.g. gone on holiday.
Standard User jingerman
(learned) Fri 22-Mar-19 09:41:11
Print Post

Thanks, need neighbour router killer device.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Mar-19 09:44:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by jingerman:
Thanks, need neighbour router killer device.
My worst time is around 10pm to midnight... People take the iPads and phones to bed, usually away from the router and fall onto 2.4GHz, they then proceed to stream some netflix, iplayer or whatever... Same for the kids etc. This is when my streams get stuck at the 240P.

Anyway, 5GHz is the answer for now although I am noticing already in my area some slowdowns.

EDIT: There have been rare occasions where I have not even been able to connect to my AP on 2.4GHz without changing the channel. It's a real pain!

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 22-Mar-19 09:45:59)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to