Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 1345green
(newbie) Tue 12-Mar-19 16:26:43
Print Post

Static IP vs Dynamic: Best security for family.

[link to this post]

I know static is favourable and often seen as a premium feature, but I have some concerns over being allocated a static IP address if I move to my chosen ISP.

I'm hoping it's my limited knowledge that leads to my concerns.

Currently, as far as I know, our IP is dynamic and changes every now and again and this seems like a good idea. When my teenage children go online the IP address isn't always the same as it was a while back and the same goes for when my wife or I use the internet.

I use the connection for VOIP and do some work from home inc ftp uploads, my wife also works from home at times and uses remote access.

Another concern is the static IP remaining the same for years. So when sites get hacked, and usernames and passwords distributed such as collection#1 and exploit (both of which one of my old email addresses appeared) then I assume the IP could also be included in the data. With a static IP, this IP could be used to search for other matches, effectively patching together pieces of personal data to fill in the blanks or passwords from data linked to the static IP. Although I am very secure with details and passwords, the rest of the family is not.

I want to move to the ISP, so can anyone assure me I am entirely wrong and a static IP poses no risk to security or my children being targeted somehow from the persistent static IP address?
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Mar-19 16:45:00
Print Post

Re: Static IP vs Dynamic: Best security for family.

[re: 1345green] [link to this post]

I think you are right, a static IP isn't as good for privacy as a dynamic one.

I have a static IP myself and am aware of possible issues.
A VPN is one way to avoid privacy problems, but not ideal.

Website owners that monitor things can easier identify visitors who have a static IP.
I also notice that my IP has been mapped by (some not all) geo location companies to my location which I'm not happy with.

I'll be interested in people's responses in case others have some good tips...

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Mar-19 17:58:40
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

If a static IP address is to be considered not good for privacy, then so must dynamic IP addresses since these often remain the same for a number of days which if you have someone profiling you is enough to figure things out.

If someone is hacking you, then static or dynamic makes no difference, since they probably have something that calls home and tells them your IP address i.e. malware

The question is less about static versus dynamic, but how to protect and use the Internet leaving minimal footprint.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Mar-19 18:03:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm not sure I agree with that...

Days (or each time your router connects) against 'forever' is slightly different!

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Mar-19 20:16:54
Print Post

A static IP address comes with a (very minor) privacy concern. In theory it allows sites to track your family around the internet. In practice that's not how anyone does that because it has too many flaws (principally that multiple people are sharing the address, some devices can be used away from your LAN and people often use computers at different locations (eg; home and work)). If someone wants to track you around the internet they'll use cookies or attempt to install malware onto your device(s). Tracking someone by IP address is, frankly, dumb.

As far as security is concerned there are far more important things to worry about and probably no significant impact anyway. Attackers don't target IP addresses unless the attack is personal or professional (eg;attacking a company or government institution). And anyway dynamic addresses don't change very often - sometimes only two or three times a year.

The only real issue with a static IP address is that some sites ban users based on IP address so you might find that one member of your household being naughty means that you all lose access to a site. That's pretty unusual though and frankly if any member of your household triggers that kind of response you should sort them out before worrying about your IP address.

But if you don't run a home server you don't need a static IP address so you might as well not bother with it. Most ISPs charge extra for them anyway.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Tue 12-Mar-19 20:18:42)

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Mar-19 20:55:06
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
But if you don't run a home server you don't need a static IP address so you might as well not bother with it. Most ISPs charge extra for them anyway.
Zen connections come as standard with a static IP address at no charge - even on a one month contract.

You're right about cookies being the tracking method of choice though - which is why I block all cookies by default and only enable them on sites that actually need them to function smile

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User adrenalize_
(learned) Tue 12-Mar-19 21:16:09
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Device profiling is also used effectively for profiling users - for a while now since it got better and people block cookies. IPs can be so transient on mobile devices hopping on and off different providers.
Standard User SamirD
(newbie) Wed 13-Mar-19 03:58:36
Print Post

Static IPs are useful for web, ftp, or other type of hosting roles since they are consistently reachable through a particular IP address. But this is also one of the reasons why web, ftp, and other hosts are vulnerable to attack--because they are consistently reachable. A dynamic IP does offer some protection when the IP changes since an attacker can no longer reach their target.

But this being said, most attacks these days are designed to compromise equipment so that the equipment will 'phone home' to the attacker--and this works with either static or dynamic IPs.

My rule of thumb is to only have a static if I absolutely need it. Otherwise, I even use dynamic IPs for ipsec vpn tunnels.
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Wed 13-Mar-19 08:09:37
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Hi

Static or dynamic doesn't matter, with dynamic IPs often sticking for days and days, some people have reported their dynamic IP never changing.

If you are using the Internet you need to accept you have no or little privacy, but that is how life is these days. I bet you go shopping using the same debit/credit card, get you groceries using your loyalty card etc, what do you think is happening with that information?

The ISP is already logging what websites you visit and they don't lose track of you if your IP address changes.

To stop your family being at risk from unsavoury people on the net has to start inside your own home with education and supervision.

Regards

Phil
Standard User 1345green
(newbie) Wed 13-Mar-19 08:35:58
Print Post

[re: SamirD] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the replies,

Some great answers and debate giving me extra information to consider.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to