Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User longedge
(committed) Sun 17-Mar-19 13:07:58
Print Post

Significance of 1xTBB speedtest results.

[link to this post]

My 1xTBB speedtest results tend to be about half that of the multithreaded one. My understanding is that this is normally an indicator of underprovision of bandwidth. Is that correct and if so is it general infrastructure or is it linked to the bandwidth provided by my ISP.

My question probably shows that I have only a limited understanding of the way my FTTC connection works.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Mar-19 13:51:33
Print Post

Re: Significance of 1xTBB speedtest results.

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

Does it vary at different times of the day? If the x1 is close to the x6 when internet usage will be less (e.g. early in the morning) then it is congestion. If it is significantly slower than the x6 all the time it's more likely to be an issue at your end.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User longedge
(committed) Sun 17-Mar-19 15:38:49
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

It has become more noticeable over the last few months. At first the difference was certainly greater in the evening and at weekends but over the last week or two I think it's become more consistent at about 50% of my multi thread result at any time.

This is what I'm seeing at the moment - speedtest.

Edited by longedge (Sun 17-Mar-19 15:44:00)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Mar-19 16:34:32
Print Post

Did you get the same results on speedtest.net when selecting the single thread option?

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User longedge
(committed) Sun 17-Mar-19 21:48:41
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I've only used TBB, BTW and SpeedofMe previously.

Just ran a single thread test on Speedtest.net = 19.2 Mbps followed by one on TBB = 16.2 Mbps (while I'm getting around 32 Mbps multithreaded).

What I've come to realise is that multiple tests done within seconds of one another can vary widely, especially the single thread ones.
Standard User longedge
(committed) Thu 21-Mar-19 09:20:39
Print Post

This morning my 1xTBB test is slower than my upload by 0.3Mps - SPEEDTEST.
Standard User longedge
(committed) Sat 06-Apr-19 08:38:40
Print Post

It's an ill wind that sometimes brings good luck 8^)

My line has developed a fault with no dialling tone just very loud buzzing and crackling -
Fault location: LN
Diagnosis code: T023
Description: FAULT - Battery Contact

This morning's speedtest is the best that I've ever had at 43.8 (up to 45.3) Mbps, 42.8 Mbps x1 and 8 (up to 9.4) Mbps upload.
Standard User longedge
(committed) Mon 08-Apr-19 17:25:38
Print Post

Satisfactory conclusion it seems with my line fault resolved and everything working again -

Main Fault Location: LN (Fault located in local network)
Fault Code: NSY (Noisy)
Clear Code: 81.7
Clear Message: Pair Changed from MDF-PCP

...and my TBBx1 and multithread still virtually the same at around 43Mbps with around 9Mbps upload. It seems that every few years there's some pair swapping goes on that leads to problems for me.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 08-Apr-19 18:26:06
Print Post

But you are on FTTC, so a pair swap from exchange to cab ought not to have been affecting that side of things anyway.

Standard User longedge
(committed) Mon 08-Apr-19 19:53:14
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I understand very little about how things work. I know that the fibre feed and phone line are aggregated onto my line at the cabinets and I know from recent experience when my phone was disconnected completely by a jumper being put back in the wrong place that broadband can still work perfectly well when the phone is out of action.

If previously there was a problem on the exchange line and that was being passed through to my line, might that not then cause problems with the broadband?

I'm limited to looking at the results of the speed tests I do at least once a day which show that whatever the cause, things are now far better and more consistent than they were.

Perhaps more has been done than has been reported but for now I'm happy 8^).
  Print Thread

Jump to