Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ayrshiredude
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 16:15:39
Print Post

New router slower than old one

[link to this post]

Hi

Not sure if this is the right room but if not could it please be moved.

I have been with Vodafone Broadband for 18 months and, after getting the email saying my price was going up, renegotiated a better deal. However they sent me one of the new routers as he said it was faster than the older one I currently have.

The older router synced at 79 Mbps and a speed test would always be around 75 Mbps. However the new router only syncs at 74 Mbps and speed tests are just over 68 Mbps. The SN ratio on the new one is currently 10.6 DB. I called them and was basically told it is above the min guaranteed speed to they won't do anything about it.

So today I went back to the old router and it is now syncing at 69 Mbps, nearly 10 Mbps lower than it used to. Tried factory resetting both but still the same.

I am baffeled by this. I would have expected their brand new router to perform at least the same, if not better, than the old one however it is slower.

Have been in contact with Vodafone several times but have got nowhere.

Any suggestions?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Nov-19 16:48:59
Print Post

Re: New router slower than old one

[re: ayrshiredude] [link to this post]

It sounds like something has triggered this slow down, a cap applied by DLM to stabilise things ... the SNR seems to be the pointer to this.

The usual advice is to just sit tight and wait for the speed to creep back up, or maybe see if Voda can arrange a DLM reset via Openreach.

Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Nov-19 12:47:26
Print Post

Re: New router slower than old one

[re: ayrshiredude] [link to this post]

What real time issues are you actually having with a small drop in speed?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to