Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Jan-20 17:35:33
Print Post

Re: My Fibre BB is connected at a slow speed - possible issu

[re: Turnipfarmer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Turnipfarmer:
Sent you DM
You gave Mr.S the boot ?? shockedsmilelaugh

Standard User Turnipfarmer
(learned) Sat 25-Jan-20 12:04:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
if the noise is obvious during a phone call when no broadband kit is connected then that is one way to go, its very much a toss of the random number generator of choice.

Not obvious on phonecall but on a quiet line test it is.

Friend of mine who lives in a street just up road from me but in same village gets 38/20 reliably although he's with BT, but uses same exchange. How can it differ so much being in sane village, probably an indication that there is fault on the line. Got an engineer coming to my house on Thursday. If no fault found then they need to dig deeper as I'm not getting the speeds I pay for.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 25-Jan-20 12:23:17
Print Post

Same cabinet?

The estimates for your street are lower than others in area marginally so suggests cable takes a longer route than expected or there are problems with the cable in the ground/on poles.

On the not getting the speeds so long as they can say they've tried the rules allow to simple say sorry we cannot get it to reach the minimum and let you leave contract with no penalties.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(learned) Sun 26-Jan-20 08:24:48
Print Post

Same cabinet?

The estimates for your street are lower than others in area marginally so suggests cable takes a longer route than expected or there are problems with the cable in the ground/on poles.

On the not getting the speeds so long as they can say they've tried the rules allow to simple say sorry we cannot get it to reach the minimum and let you leave contract with no penalties.

Ah I good point, I don't know if we share same cabinet, certainly sane exchange but not sure even where my cabinet is.

I'm actually at end of contract with EE anyway but before renewing I wanted to give them chance to resolve this issue as I presume I would keep this problem even if I moved ISP or am I wrong?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Jan-20 10:37:12
Print Post

DLM may reset when you move so improve for a while, but if conditions are such that line is long or suffers noise then DLM will end up where you are today.

Differences that may change this:
Different broadband modem, could be better or worse
Three DLM profiles exist, they have marginally different criteria and might with another provider see it not drop you so much.

The overall expectation though is connection speeds will stay the same, though the improvement might be that HD material will stream again, with 14 to 15 Mbps it should work anyway.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Thu 30-Jan-20 09:36:40
Print Post

DLM may reset when you move so improve for a while, but if conditions are such that line is long or suffers noise then DLM will end up where you are today.

Differences that may change this:
Different broadband modem, could be better or worse
Three DLM profiles exist, they have marginally different criteria and might with another provider see it not drop you so much.

The overall expectation though is connection speeds will stay the same, though the improvement might be that HD material will stream again, with 14 to 15 Mbps it should work anyway.

Engineer just been and no fault found on the line, could be intermittent fault.

Only other thing he said could be causing it is an old extension in our living room as we don't know the history of it and if it had been completed isolated from the socket but at time of testing no issues.

They reset the line which I presume is the DLM?

Just logged onto router and this is what I'm getting now, how do these look/compare to the others I've posted? I know it will and been told it will take time to settle but speedtest showing 20/4 speeds now which is great.

DSL STATUS
This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.
STATUS
Configured Current
Line Status -- UP
Link Type -- Fast Path
Operation Mode Automatic G.993.2 (VDSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATION
Upstream 4422 (Kbps)
Downstream 27689 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 6.2 (dB) 6.2 (dB)
Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 27.4 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 6.9 (dBm) 7.0 (dBm)
Fast Path FEC Correction 696 1
Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- --
Fast Path CRC Error 0 144
Interleaved Path CRC Error -- --
Loss Of Signal Defect 0 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 162
Interleaved Path HEC Error -- --
Error Seconds 269 21
STATISTICS
Received Data 8568625 (Kbits)
Transmitted Data 413735 (Kbits)
Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Jan-20 17:09:02
Print Post

Before,
DATA RATE INFORMATION
Upstream 4447 (Kbps)
Downstream 14999 (Kbps)

After,
DATA RATE INFORMATION
Upstream 4422 (Kbps)
Downstream 27689 (Kbps)

Far better.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 01-Feb-20 14:43:41
Print Post

Line attenuation is the same so he/she probably touched nothing and simply did a DLM reset.

The DLM had capped your line at 14,999 so it wouldn't sync any higher than this.

With the cap removed your sync has increased dramatically.

A DLM cap is applied if a line resyncs too many times in a short time period.
Do not reboot the modem or trigger any resyncs/reconnections of the DSL as it may place a cap back on the line.

Edited by j0hn83 (Sat 01-Feb-20 14:44:13)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to