Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User giggsy1977
(member) Tue 23-Jun-20 00:20:13
Print Post

Cable between mk4 master socket and router

[link to this post]

Hi everyone. Hope you are well.

I have a simple query - because of my OCD and wanting to get the best out of my Internet connection, if you could have the rj11 to rj11 cable from your mk4 master socket to your router made up of CW1308 or cat5e cable, which would you choose, and more importantly why? I know there are bigger issues at play re: speeds and I wouldn't expect to see much difference at all in terms of speeds (although possibly noise margin being slightly better), but in order to know I have got every last drop of speed out of a connection (and can therefore sleep at night) it would be good to know. 👍 Many thanks.

Sky Fibre Superfast - 70mbps down, 16.5mbps up. Noise down - 2.5dB, noise up - 4.8dB
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Jun-20 09:31:38
Print Post

Re: Cable between mk4 master socket and router

[re: giggsy1977] [link to this post]

Solid gold single core stranded cable with cooling jacket to -170 degrees C

Reality little to now difference between CW1308 and CAT5E beyond the higher twist rate of CAT5E might give you better noise rejection if that is a a big problem for you, but it is a might.

CW1308 is slimmer so if making your own cable up then probably easier to work with.

Edited by MrSaffron (Tue 23-Jun-20 09:45:17)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User giggsy1977
(member) Tue 23-Jun-20 09:35:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've not seen the cable you describe on Amazon so I'll have to stick with CW1308 or Cat5e then! Cat5e sounds better in my head, but more twists means the cable is longer than Cw1308 at any given cable length I guess. Although not very likely to make a huge difference across the house!

Sky Fibre Superfast - 70mbps down, 16.5mbps up. Noise down - 2.5dB, noise up - 4.8dB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Jun-20 09:46:04
Print Post

The 13018 was a typo.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User giggsy1977
(member) Tue 23-Jun-20 09:49:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry Andrew, I was referring to the solid gold cable...😂

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 23-Jun-20 10:47:56
Print Post

Go for two pair Cat5e ...

Go for https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-5m-50cm-ADSL-2-High-Spe... which is available in various lengths - Kenable is a reputable good value source.

Don't worry about higher twist rates causing longer wires inside a cable - it is barely noticeable and the effect negligible. The loss due to extra length will be way less than the improvement due to twists.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User giggsy1977
(member) Tue 23-Jun-20 11:02:26
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Cheers MHC - just ordered one! 👍

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 23-Jun-20 11:10:51
Print Post

They are the ones I tend to use - well made and look tidy.

Did you order some dry ice too - you could then mimic MrS's suggestion about -170 deg C

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User giggsy1977
(member) Tue 23-Jun-20 11:13:02
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I thought there might be an add-on item, but couldn't see it! Shall wrap some frozen peas around it instead!

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Jun-20 11:15:48
Print Post

Am out of stock of that anyway.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to