Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jon4353
(newbie) Mon 27-Jul-20 18:37:06
Print Post

Moving from Virgin to talktalk

[link to this post]

Hi, Openreach has recently installed an FTTP line to my house. I want to move away from Virgin broadband.

Does this mean the only cable coming to my house is now FTTP? I have never in the 3 years living in the house had a BT phoneline.

Even though Talktalk don't offer FTTP in my house apparently they are still offering broadband up to 67mb. I'm a bit confused by this.

Mid terrace house, Nottingham.

Thanks
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Jul-20 20:15:00
Print Post

Re: Moving from Virgin to talktalk

[re: jon4353] [link to this post]

A postcode of the property might help others to help you.

It seems a little unusual that Openreach might have installed FTTP without there being an associated order from a service provider .... unless this is a new build estate ?

TalkTalk are just dipping their toes in Openreach FTTP read this current thread ...

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4653986-ta...

Standard User jon4353
(newbie) Mon 27-Jul-20 21:53:00
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Property is at NG52AP

BT are offering full fibre for my place currently, but no one else seems to be at the moment

The openreach guys changed the black cable attached to the house strung from the pole. I assume this is them attaching FTTP..?

Sorry for my ignorance! Cheers

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jul-20 06:17:24
Print Post

So without an ONTE (optical network termination equipment) fitted, you do not, as yet, have an FTTP service.

What you need to do is order an FTTP service from a provider. I would suggest getting this installed before cancelling your existing Virgin service, so allowing for hiccups, you’ll have a fairly pain free swap over.

P.S. when choosing your new provider, cheapest doesn’t always equate to best.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Jul-20 09:03:35
Print Post

The cable was probably a hybrid cable, with both copper and fibre in it.

This is why TalkTalk can offer you a 67 Mbps service i.e. VDSL2 (Fibre to the cabinet)

BT might seem the only one offering FTTP, but there are others like Zen, Acquis, IDnet who do also. As yet TalkTalk has not fully launched its FTTP product and same for Sky and Vodafone.

Ordering FTTP from BT will do nothing to your Virgin Media cable broadband service, best to keep that running until you have the FTTP up and working, to avoid issues where you end up with no broadband for a couple of days.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jon4353
(newbie) Tue 28-Jul-20 09:44:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for your info guys super helpful. I'm new to the forum and wasn't sure about posting some newbie questions as it looked quite technical on here! Thanks for answering them smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Jul-20 13:46:43
Print Post

The only silly question is those not asked.

Things can get pretty geeky quickly, so if people are throwing acronyms around that make no sense just ask.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to