Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Lotak
(learned) Thu 19-Nov-20 15:21:20
Print Post

Downstream Handback Threshold

[link to this post]

Wasn't sure where to post this.
I have G-Fast Broadband through Zen, which was meant to give me speeds of 150 Mbps. After upgrading and waiting a few weeks, I found my speed wouldn't exceed 100Mbps.
Long story short, the engineer said I wouldn't be able to exceed 100Mbps (mostly due to distance from my house to the cabinet) as that is the line speed he was getting when he measured the speed at the master socket. I spoke with Zen and renegotiated my price, staying on G.Fast. I'm now getting up to 80Mbps +/-10Mbps.

I have now seen on broadbandcheker a column called "Downstream Handback Threshold" (DHT) which states that my DHT with an impacted G.Fast Range B should be 168.8Mbps, much higher than the 100Mbps I'm getting. Next to Bridge Tap, I have "U". I assume that means "Unknown". Not sure if that matters in this situation.

I don't really understand the implications of DHT, but was hoping someone could explain if I am able to get Zen / Openreach to "fix" my line? I'm not sure what my rights are.

Many thanks.

Edited by Lotak (Thu 19-Nov-20 15:24:46)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Nov-20 16:21:47
Print Post

Re: Downstream Handback Threshold

[re: Lotak] [link to this post]

I think generally it means that if it is below that speed then you can normally cancel the contract. It does not mean that if it is under that speed that they would be obliged to do anything to make it go faster. If you are happy with what you have got for the price then the handback threshold is not going to help you - it only helps if you want a way out of the contract but given you have now negotiated a price for the speed you are getting I am not sure it would even now help with that.
Standard User Lotak
(learned) Thu 19-Nov-20 16:39:48
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

That answers my question. Wasn't clear what the consequences of being below DHT were (free to leave or needs fixing).
Thank you!!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adslmax
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Nov-20 01:56:51
Print Post

[re: Lotak] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Lotak:
the engineer said I wouldn't be able to exceed 100Mbps (mostly due to distance from my house to the cabinet)

The engineer should have cancel it on your behalf and shouldn't have go ahead. Tell zen to cancel your contract! You have the full rights to cancel as the speed below downstream handback threshold.

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014

Edited by adslmax (Fri 20-Nov-20 01:57:40)

Standard User Lotak
(learned) Fri 20-Nov-20 09:10:47
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

The engineer who upgraded the service to G.Fast either didn't check the line or didn't tell my wife (or he did and she didn't understand).
The engineer I'm referring to came after I complained to Zen.

I'm pretty much out of contract now so am free to move if I want to anyway.
  Print Thread

Jump to