Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rob_gee
(newbie) Mon 07-Dec-20 11:03:01
Print Post

Re: VPN & Citrix connections dropping

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you,

I couldn't possibly comment on the quality of our IT department, although there are only three of them.

My home laptop doesn't have an ethernet port so I could do home laptop on wifi and work laptop on ethernet, or would it make more sense to do both on wifi to ensure the same test conditions?

I've only learnt about pinging since I started having this issue but the example I've been asked to do in the past is to ping google by doing 'ping -t www.google.co.uk' so would you suggest continuing to do that? How is a dropped ping identified - will it just say 'timed out' or something like that?

And if the work laptop drops the ping but my home laptop doesn't, presumably that suggests the home connection is fine and the problem is most likely at the work end?

Thanks again,
Rob
Standard User haydnwalker
(newbie) Mon 07-Dec-20 11:33:05
Print Post

[re: rob_gee] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rob_gee:
It is Global Protect that we use as well so that's interesting, although I don't know what to do with that information!

Hi Rob,

Yes, that is quite interesting, I've also noted on Palo Alto's website/forums, there is an issue with this :: Link to Palo Alto Forums

I've got back to our network infrastructure team with the info above also.

It has happened to me over multiple ISPs (Plusnet FTTC and Virgin Media Cable), nothing noted on my routers firewalls etc.

Sorry - not meaning to hijack your post either smile

Regards,
Haydn
Standard User rob_gee
(newbie) Mon 07-Dec-20 11:45:35
Print Post

[re: haydnwalker] [link to this post]

No problem at all haydn, I've forwarded this onto the IT team to see what they make of it.

Really appreciate your help,
Rob

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Dec-20 11:49:24
Print Post

You need to get your connection uptime in the router. Is this showing as days or is this dropping every few minutes?

If the router has a stable connection for days then your lines not the problem.

You can get this data in the router interface I think at 192.168.1.1 - I’m not on talktalk to walk you through the routers setup but there should be something like “WAN uptime” “DSL uptime” “Connection uptime” etc usually under internet or something similar.
Standard User rob_gee
(newbie) Mon 07-Dec-20 11:55:05
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks, I'm a bit limited as to what I can check at the moment as I'm in the office but I certainly have a couple of things I can try when I get home.
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Mon 07-Dec-20 20:21:01
Print Post

Have you tried using your mobile phone as a hotspot to see if the same thing happens? (Or ideally going to a friends house and using their WiFi (to effectively rule out your line and any radio inteference that may be present). This will help isolate if the issue if with your company and/or the laptop configuration.

The company I work for a couple of years ago had issues with citrix that were ultimately caused by the changing of the clocks. Although, as you note, this started at the end of November so unlikely.

Lastly, some suppliers have parental controls that can cause issues, For example Now Broadband by default wouldn't work with a VPN provider I tried, however turning those controls off fixed it.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Mon 07-Dec-20 20:30:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The dropping connection should be obvious in normal use too, e.g. when streaming a film since the drops due to errors (when modem resyncs) are usually a minute or so long. Static IP won't help with that.

1. Check with Ethernet
2. Run two machines on Ethernet 1 pinging 1 site and work machine pinging same site, if they both drop pings at the same time its your connection somewhere, it might be the street box or it might be elsewhere.

This is very very basic and an IT department that has not got you doing that or similar checks is not a good IT dept

Two things, a dropping VDSL connection frequently takes a lot less than a minute to resync and reconnect. Further the likes of iPlayer will seamlessly pause and start again. If it is only doing every couple of hours you might not even notice, where as a VPN or remote desktop session it will be immediately apparent.

Second trouble shooting home internet connections is not something corporate IT support have traditionally got involved with and as such are likely to have limited experience in troubleshooting it. For example if you have a Virgin Media connection then given I have zero experience with it then there is little I can do to help. However I take offence with the suggestion that it would make the service we provide "poor" in any way, shape or form.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Dec-20 22:15:57
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
trouble shooting home internet connections is not something corporate IT support have traditionally got involved with
Sorry I have to disagree with you on this, I have seen numerous corporate IT departments help their end users with connectivity issues even when there was only direct dial up. To say 'its not something corporate IT support have traditionally got involved with' does a disservice to those who do.

Edited by dect (Mon 07-Dec-20 22:17:02)

Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Tue 08-Dec-20 00:43:12
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
trouble shooting home internet connections is not something corporate IT support have traditionally got involved with
Sorry I have to disagree with you on this, I have seen numerous corporate IT departments help their end users with connectivity issues even when there was only direct dial up. To say 'its not something corporate IT support have traditionally got involved with' does a disservice to those who do.

Given the amount of time I have spent helping people because their work IT don't support setting up your home internet I have to disagree with you. I have personally prior to March of this year never come across one that does.

I am not saying no corporate IT support department ever got involved, but generally they don't so won't have a great depth of experience in it. Further as I pointed out there is such variability from ISP to ISP that it is impossible for them to do it in general.
Standard User rob_gee
(newbie) Tue 08-Dec-20 08:00:18
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Hi, firstly just to say thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions and advice, it really is hugely appreciated.

I must confess I'm rather losing track of who I've responded to and who I haven't so please don't take offence if I've failed to respond to any specific posts.

So just to respond to a couple of points, I have tried tethering to my phone and that works fine, which is what is leading me to believe that the issue must lie with the broadband connection. Unfortunately, I only have 2GB of data a month and am using about 500MB per day so clearly the maths don't stack up.

I did try the ping test on my work laptop yesterday and did not observe any particular delays or slow pings. Another ignorant question coming up - when I first log into the laptop, I can access my emails, the internet and MS Teams without signing into the VPN but to access company data I do need to sign into it. Once I am signed into the VPN, would all my internet traffic be going through that?

I did hear back from our IT team around the possible issue with GlobalProtect but they advised that as I had been having the issue when using Citrix prior to using the VPN, this could not be the problem. My assumption is that the Citrix and VPN issues have to be caused by the same issue and I had wondered if by using Citrix, that may be automatically done through the VPN without me specifically having to sign into it but I have no reason to doubt what I'm being told.

I didn't get round to checking for parental controls at home but will do that this evening, however the fact that it went from working one day to not working the next, without me making any changes makes me think that is probably not the cause but I guess it is possible that one of the kids has inadvertently changed something, although I think that is highly unlikely.

I did check the 'showtime' on the router and that was showing at two days (which ties in with me unplugging the router and plugging it into a different socket) so again, that all looks to be in order.

I still keep coming back to my theory that perhaps the signal is losing strength or dropping out sufficiently to affect the VPN / Citrix connection but not enough to fully lose the connection. Is this even possible? I'm just so clueless as to how these things work that what seems a reasonable explanation to me could be absolute nonsense.

Thanks again to everyone who's taken the time to read through my ramblings and make suggestions,

Rob
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to