Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Dec-20 11:52:18
Print Post

Re: VPN & Citrix connections dropping

[re: rob_gee] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rob_gee:
Once I am signed into the VPN, would all my internet traffic be going through that?
Not sure what VPN client you are using but the corporate ones I have used like the ones from Cisco have typically forced all network traffic down the VPN tunnel, that not to say yours is like that.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Dec-20 13:52:57
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
Not sure what VPN client you are using but the corporate ones I have used like the ones from Cisco have typically forced all network traffic down the VPN tunnel, that not to say yours is like that.

Its down to the IT department and security decisions.

Some organisations traditionally had very few people at home, and majority in the office, so it made sense to have all home workers access the internet via the VPN and through the same security plans as the office workers.

However with the majority at home, there may not be sufficient internet bandwidth into the office to handle both the inbound VPN and the outbound internet connections to cloud services. So many companies have reconfigured VPNs to be "split tunnel".

Cisco Anyconnect supports both, as does OpenVPN and many others.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Dec-20 14:04:46
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Prior to March...since then home broadband working has shifted in importance to the ability for a firm to carry on working.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Dec-20 14:10:33
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Are you aware that sometimes one has to give a slightly simple answer or round figures up/down.

on the minute resync - could have added all the bits about also needing the PPPoE session to come back up, which can be slow on some ISP (should not be, but experience does show some ISP seem to be slower than others).

Next time I will be sure to start a stop watch and time my resync so I can make our IT professional happy.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MattL
(newbie) Tue 08-Dec-20 14:36:51
Print Post

So by tethering you have taken your connection out of the loop so you now know its something on that.

What model router are you using? Check parental settings with your ISP as a starter some routers have a tick box that needs unticking/unticking to allow VPN's to work properly at home, I cannot quite remember the option but one to look at as I suspect its one of them 2 things.
Standard User rob_gee
(newbie) Tue 08-Dec-20 14:56:26
Print Post

[re: MattL] [link to this post]

Hi Matt,

It's the most recent TalkTalk one (don't have the model number to hand sorry).

I have just checked what HomeSafe settings I have on my account and they are all switched off at the moment (so nothing is being restricted) but are you saying there could be something additional in the router settings that may need ticking or unticking? I have been on a number of Webchats with TalkTalk trying to resolve this and no one I have spoken to has suggested this, but I appreciate that doesn;t necessarily mean it's not the case.
Standard User MattL
(newbie) Tue 08-Dec-20 14:58:22
Print Post

Have a look along the lines of this on your router.
Standard User rob_gee
(newbie) Tue 08-Dec-20 15:04:34
Print Post

[re: MattL] [link to this post]

Thanks Matt, I'll give it a go when I get home
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Dec-20 15:24:46
Print Post

The pinging will show if the connection remains synced but there are errors affecting the traffic (the errors might be the broadband or ISP network), though these should be short enough to not cause a VPN to drop completely.

One thought having seen its TalkTalk is to try configuring a different set of DNS servers on the PC

https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/228007... shows how to set the OpenDNS DNS IP addresses on a windows 10 machine.

Bypassing the standard DNS assigned by TalkTalk is how people can get around the issue of Teamviewer being blocked. Teamviewer and some other remote working tools sometimes get blocked by ISP if it is used a lot by scammers or malware.

Standard User rob_gee
(newbie) Tue 08-Dec-20 15:35:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew, I'll give this one a go too. I know that one of the IT guys did try to connect using Teamviewer and wasn't able to do so, so it sounds like it's definitely worth a try
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to