Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rob_gee
(newbie) Mon 07-Dec-20 09:38:17
Print Post

VPN & Citrix connections dropping

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can provide me with some guidance as to an issue I'm experiencing with working from home. My work laptop logs in to a virtual machine using Citrix. Up until the start of November, I could work from home with no issues (the odd interrupted connection but nothing too concerning). Overnight, I starting experiencing issues where the Citrix connection would be interrupted literally every couple of minutes, but all my other devices at home (phones, tablets etc) continued to work fine. I tried tethering my work laptop to my phone and I had no issues.

My work IT department gave me an alternative laptop to try but the same thing happened with that. They then gave me a laptop that did not use Citrix and that I had to log into using a VPN and again I had the same sort of issue (VPN connecting when connected to home broadband but working fine on phone data).

I have switched provider from Vodafone to Talktalk but the issue persists. Talktalk did send an engineer out last week but he said there was an outage somewhere which meant he was unable to run the tests he needed to but he would expect the problem should rectify itself when the outage was fixed - but it hasn't.

Based on what I can figure out, I think the problem must lie with the cables / junction box that are carrying the signal into my house but would be interested to hear if anyone more knowledgeable about such things has any suggestions. Should I be asking for another engineer visit and for them to check the external things? I assume as this is probably quite costly for the ISP's to do, they will be reluctant to do so but I can't see what other explanation there could be.

Many thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Dec-20 09:46:01
Print Post

Re: VPN & Citrix connections dropping

[re: rob_gee] [link to this post]

If your other devices are unaffected are you sure the issue is at your end?
Standard User rob_gee
(newbie) Mon 07-Dec-20 09:59:08
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Thanks dect,

I'm sure insofar as our IT department insist that the issue isn't at the work end as they say I am the only person who is experiencing this issue and, certainly from a Citrix point of view, multiple users log on to the same machines so they say if it was at that end, it would be affecting more people than just myself.

My assumption (which isn't based on any specific knowledge) is that maybe the Citrix & VPN connections require a constant, good quality connection, whereas it isn't so noticeable with other devices if the connection loses quality for a few seconds.

Also, the fact that when I'm tethered to my mobile, I do not experience the issue does seem to back that up, but as I know so little about such things, it's hard for me to say with any degree of certainty.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User haydnwalker
(newbie) Mon 07-Dec-20 10:12:25
Print Post

Is this the only device you VPN through?

Perhaps your router is blocking something?

If your "normal internet" on your devices carries on whilst your VPN drops, it points to a Firewall (likely your end) or VPN head-end issue (work end).

Oddly, I'm experiencing a similar issue with my work right now! VPN traffic stops (effectively cutting me off) but stays connected, and all other internet connected devices on the same network continue to work fine.

Out of interest, which VPN Client do you use on your work device? We are using Palo Alto Global Protect. I'm curious if you are using the same - so could it be a software issue?

Regards,
Haydn
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Dec-20 10:13:56
Print Post

Makes sense

If you connect via the VPN are you able to do a constant ping to one of your company servers or desktops to see if you get any bad pings?

Edit: you could also try pinging say the BBC when you're not connect to the VPN so see if you get any bad pings

Edited by dect (Mon 07-Dec-20 10:17:05)

Standard User rob_gee
(newbie) Mon 07-Dec-20 10:19:22
Print Post

[re: haydnwalker] [link to this post]

Hi Haydn,

Thanks for your response. Yes, this is the only device I VPN through, I did wonder whether I should look at getting a VPN for my home devices and see if the same thing happened but I'm reluctant to spend money on something just to test out a theory.

I guess it's possible that the router is blocking something but I've tried two different routers (the Vodafone and now the Talktalk one) and it's happening on both. In addition, everything worked fine for a good twelve months on the Vodafone one up until the start of November, and I didn't make any changes to the router in between it working fine and then having the issue,

It is Global Protect that we use as well so that's interesting, although I don't know what to do with that information!

Thanks again,
Rob
Standard User rob_gee
(newbie) Mon 07-Dec-20 10:23:32
Print Post

Thanks dect,

this is where my lack of knowledge probably exposes itself. When I log on to the VPN laptop, I can use Teams & emails etc without needing to connect to the VPN but if I want to do any SAS coding (which is what I need to do 90% of the time) and access the work data files, I have to connect to the VPN.

Once I am connected to the VPN, does that mean all my internet traffic will go through that, and if so I can try the ping suggestion?

Thanks,
Rob
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Mon 07-Dec-20 10:27:21
Print Post

If you can I would try using your laptop on a wired ethernet connection to the router. That would a determination as to whether the problem is your internet connection or the WiFi.

Also if possible log onto your router and see if it can tell you the "showtime" for your connection. This is how long you have been connected to the cabinet. If this is low a matter of minutes or a handful of hours) then your internet connection is dropping then reconnecting with a good chance you get a new IP address each time (certainly the case with TalkTalk). Then as far as your work is concerned that's a new connection and your session get's dropped.

This is one area where a static IP address can help as you will get the same IP address every time so it masks the fact the connection broke
Standard User rob_gee
(newbie) Mon 07-Dec-20 10:36:10
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Thanks, I have tried both a wired and a wireless connection and get the same issue in both cases.

I will have a look at the 'showtime' later on today (I've had to come into the office to work due to the issues) but that sounds like a really good suggestion. If it is dropping and connecting with a new IP address, would you expect that I could set a static IP on the Talktalk router? And if so, is there a recommended way of establishing what static IP I should use?

Thanks all for your help so far, I do feel like I'm making progress and after weeks of what feels like being fobbed off by my ISPs and IT department, then it's really encouraging.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Dec-20 10:53:11
Print Post

The dropping connection should be obvious in normal use too, e.g. when streaming a film since the drops due to errors (when modem resyncs) are usually a minute or so long. Static IP won't help with that.

1. Check with Ethernet
2. Run two machines on Ethernet 1 pinging 1 site and work machine pinging same site, if they both drop pings at the same time its your connection somewhere, it might be the street box or it might be elsewhere.

This is very very basic and an IT department that has not got you doing that or similar checks is not a good IT dept

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rob_gee
(newbie) Mon 07-Dec-20 11:03:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you,

I couldn't possibly comment on the quality of our IT department, although there are only three of them.

My home laptop doesn't have an ethernet port so I could do home laptop on wifi and work laptop on ethernet, or would it make more sense to do both on wifi to ensure the same test conditions?

I've only learnt about pinging since I started having this issue but the example I've been asked to do in the past is to ping google by doing 'ping -t www.google.co.uk' so would you suggest continuing to do that? How is a dropped ping identified - will it just say 'timed out' or something like that?

And if the work laptop drops the ping but my home laptop doesn't, presumably that suggests the home connection is fine and the problem is most likely at the work end?

Thanks again,
Rob
(newbie) Mon 07-Dec-20 11:33:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by rob_gee:
It is Global Protect that we use as well so that's interesting, although I don't know what to do with that information!

Hi Rob,

Yes, that is quite interesting, I've also noted on Palo Alto's website/forums, there is an issue with this :: Link to Palo Alto Forums

I've got back to our network infrastructure team with the info above also.

It has happened to me over multiple ISPs (Plusnet FTTC and Virgin Media Cable), nothing noted on my routers firewalls etc.

Sorry - not meaning to hijack your post either smile

Regards,
Haydn
Standard User rob_gee
(newbie) Mon 07-Dec-20 11:45:35
Print Post

[re: haydnwalker] [link to this post]

No problem at all haydn, I've forwarded this onto the IT team to see what they make of it.

Really appreciate your help,
Rob
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Dec-20 11:49:24
Print Post

You need to get your connection uptime in the router. Is this showing as days or is this dropping every few minutes?

If the router has a stable connection for days then your lines not the problem.

You can get this data in the router interface I think at 192.168.1.1 - I’m not on talktalk to walk you through the routers setup but there should be something like “WAN uptime” “DSL uptime” “Connection uptime” etc usually under internet or something similar.
Standard User rob_gee
(newbie) Mon 07-Dec-20 11:55:05
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks, I'm a bit limited as to what I can check at the moment as I'm in the office but I certainly have a couple of things I can try when I get home.
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Mon 07-Dec-20 20:21:01
Print Post

Have you tried using your mobile phone as a hotspot to see if the same thing happens? (Or ideally going to a friends house and using their WiFi (to effectively rule out your line and any radio inteference that may be present). This will help isolate if the issue if with your company and/or the laptop configuration.

The company I work for a couple of years ago had issues with citrix that were ultimately caused by the changing of the clocks. Although, as you note, this started at the end of November so unlikely.

Lastly, some suppliers have parental controls that can cause issues, For example Now Broadband by default wouldn't work with a VPN provider I tried, however turning those controls off fixed it.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Mon 07-Dec-20 20:30:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The dropping connection should be obvious in normal use too, e.g. when streaming a film since the drops due to errors (when modem resyncs) are usually a minute or so long. Static IP won't help with that.

1. Check with Ethernet
2. Run two machines on Ethernet 1 pinging 1 site and work machine pinging same site, if they both drop pings at the same time its your connection somewhere, it might be the street box or it might be elsewhere.

This is very very basic and an IT department that has not got you doing that or similar checks is not a good IT dept

Two things, a dropping VDSL connection frequently takes a lot less than a minute to resync and reconnect. Further the likes of iPlayer will seamlessly pause and start again. If it is only doing every couple of hours you might not even notice, where as a VPN or remote desktop session it will be immediately apparent.

Second trouble shooting home internet connections is not something corporate IT support have traditionally got involved with and as such are likely to have limited experience in troubleshooting it. For example if you have a Virgin Media connection then given I have zero experience with it then there is little I can do to help. However I take offence with the suggestion that it would make the service we provide "poor" in any way, shape or form.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Dec-20 22:15:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
trouble shooting home internet connections is not something corporate IT support have traditionally got involved with
Sorry I have to disagree with you on this, I have seen numerous corporate IT departments help their end users with connectivity issues even when there was only direct dial up. To say 'its not something corporate IT support have traditionally got involved with' does a disservice to those who do.

Edited by dect (Mon 07-Dec-20 22:17:02)

Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Tue 08-Dec-20 00:43:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by dect:
trouble shooting home internet connections is not something corporate IT support have traditionally got involved with
Sorry I have to disagree with you on this, I have seen numerous corporate IT departments help their end users with connectivity issues even when there was only direct dial up. To say 'its not something corporate IT support have traditionally got involved with' does a disservice to those who do.

Given the amount of time I have spent helping people because their work IT don't support setting up your home internet I have to disagree with you. I have personally prior to March of this year never come across one that does.

I am not saying no corporate IT support department ever got involved, but generally they don't so won't have a great depth of experience in it. Further as I pointed out there is such variability from ISP to ISP that it is impossible for them to do it in general.
Standard User rob_gee
(newbie) Tue 08-Dec-20 08:00:18
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Hi, firstly just to say thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions and advice, it really is hugely appreciated.

I must confess I'm rather losing track of who I've responded to and who I haven't so please don't take offence if I've failed to respond to any specific posts.

So just to respond to a couple of points, I have tried tethering to my phone and that works fine, which is what is leading me to believe that the issue must lie with the broadband connection. Unfortunately, I only have 2GB of data a month and am using about 500MB per day so clearly the maths don't stack up.

I did try the ping test on my work laptop yesterday and did not observe any particular delays or slow pings. Another ignorant question coming up - when I first log into the laptop, I can access my emails, the internet and MS Teams without signing into the VPN but to access company data I do need to sign into it. Once I am signed into the VPN, would all my internet traffic be going through that?

I did hear back from our IT team around the possible issue with GlobalProtect but they advised that as I had been having the issue when using Citrix prior to using the VPN, this could not be the problem. My assumption is that the Citrix and VPN issues have to be caused by the same issue and I had wondered if by using Citrix, that may be automatically done through the VPN without me specifically having to sign into it but I have no reason to doubt what I'm being told.

I didn't get round to checking for parental controls at home but will do that this evening, however the fact that it went from working one day to not working the next, without me making any changes makes me think that is probably not the cause but I guess it is possible that one of the kids has inadvertently changed something, although I think that is highly unlikely.

I did check the 'showtime' on the router and that was showing at two days (which ties in with me unplugging the router and plugging it into a different socket) so again, that all looks to be in order.

I still keep coming back to my theory that perhaps the signal is losing strength or dropping out sufficiently to affect the VPN / Citrix connection but not enough to fully lose the connection. Is this even possible? I'm just so clueless as to how these things work that what seems a reasonable explanation to me could be absolute nonsense.

Thanks again to everyone who's taken the time to read through my ramblings and make suggestions,

Rob
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Dec-20 11:52:18
Print Post

Once I am signed into the VPN, would all my internet traffic be going through that?
Not sure what VPN client you are using but the corporate ones I have used like the ones from Cisco have typically forced all network traffic down the VPN tunnel, that not to say yours is like that.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Dec-20 13:52:57
Print Post

Not sure what VPN client you are using but the corporate ones I have used like the ones from Cisco have typically forced all network traffic down the VPN tunnel, that not to say yours is like that.

Its down to the IT department and security decisions.

Some organisations traditionally had very few people at home, and majority in the office, so it made sense to have all home workers access the internet via the VPN and through the same security plans as the office workers.

However with the majority at home, there may not be sufficient internet bandwidth into the office to handle both the inbound VPN and the outbound internet connections to cloud services. So many companies have reconfigured VPNs to be "split tunnel".

Cisco Anyconnect supports both, as does OpenVPN and many others.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Dec-20 14:04:46
Print Post

Prior to March...since then home broadband working has shifted in importance to the ability for a firm to carry on working.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Dec-20 14:10:33
Print Post

Are you aware that sometimes one has to give a slightly simple answer or round figures up/down.

on the minute resync - could have added all the bits about also needing the PPPoE session to come back up, which can be slow on some ISP (should not be, but experience does show some ISP seem to be slower than others).

Next time I will be sure to start a stop watch and time my resync so I can make our IT professional happy.

Standard User MattL
(newbie) Tue 08-Dec-20 14:36:51
Print Post

So by tethering you have taken your connection out of the loop so you now know its something on that.

What model router are you using? Check parental settings with your ISP as a starter some routers have a tick box that needs unticking/unticking to allow VPN's to work properly at home, I cannot quite remember the option but one to look at as I suspect its one of them 2 things.
Standard User rob_gee
(newbie) Tue 08-Dec-20 14:56:26
Print Post

[re: MattL] [link to this post]

Hi Matt,

It's the most recent TalkTalk one (don't have the model number to hand sorry).

I have just checked what HomeSafe settings I have on my account and they are all switched off at the moment (so nothing is being restricted) but are you saying there could be something additional in the router settings that may need ticking or unticking? I have been on a number of Webchats with TalkTalk trying to resolve this and no one I have spoken to has suggested this, but I appreciate that doesn;t necessarily mean it's not the case.
Standard User MattL
(newbie) Tue 08-Dec-20 14:58:22
Print Post

Have a look along the lines of this on your router.
Standard User rob_gee
(newbie) Tue 08-Dec-20 15:04:34
Print Post

Thanks Matt, I'll give it a go when I get home
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Dec-20 15:24:46
Print Post

The pinging will show if the connection remains synced but there are errors affecting the traffic (the errors might be the broadband or ISP network), though these should be short enough to not cause a VPN to drop completely.

One thought having seen its TalkTalk is to try configuring a different set of DNS servers on the PC

https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/228007... shows how to set the OpenDNS DNS IP addresses on a windows 10 machine.

Bypassing the standard DNS assigned by TalkTalk is how people can get around the issue of Teamviewer being blocked. Teamviewer and some other remote working tools sometimes get blocked by ISP if it is used a lot by scammers or malware.

Standard User rob_gee
(newbie) Tue 08-Dec-20 15:35:23
Print Post

Thanks Andrew, I'll give this one a go too. I know that one of the IT guys did try to connect using Teamviewer and wasn't able to do so, so it sounds like it's definitely worth a try
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Dec-20 15:49:18
Print Post

Given the amount of time I have spent helping people because their work IT don't support setting up your home internet I have to disagree with you. I have personally prior to March of this year never come across one that does.
Very likely the people you have kindly helped are supported by IT departments that are as Andrew described in the post that triggered this sub thread.
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Dec-20 17:40:23
Print Post

Thanks Andrew, I'll give this one a go too. I know that one of the IT guys did try to connect using Teamviewer and wasn't able to do so, so it sounds like it's definitely worth a try
My understanding is that TalkTalk blocks TeamViewer by default and if you want to use it you need to contact then to allow it explicitly. There's no way for you to enable it directly yourself.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User MattL
(newbie) Tue 08-Dec-20 17:56:53
Print Post

Found the post I was looking for here.

The other is still relevant look for L2TP/ PPTP passthrough and enable that.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Dec-20 18:28:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by MattL:
The other is still relevant look for L2TP/ PPTP passthrough and enable that.
It should not make a difference, as the VPN was able to connect.

Anyone using PPTP needs to go on a security course. It should have been scrapped with NT 4.0

GlobalProtect appears to be a suite of offerings, and it is unclear which ones are enabled on the OP's device. The likelihood is that it is a TLS VPN for maximum compatibility.

Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Tue 08-Dec-20 21:23:44
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

The biggest problem with stuffing everything down the tunnel is that all your local devices all of a sudden disappear. The biggest complaint being your network attached printer (because any printer not connected via the network is a waste of space).

I would note that under Linux even if your IT department try and put everything down the VPN to rewrite the routing table after the VPN is up to change that. Probably easy under other OS's if you know what you are doing. I used to do it routinely at my previous employer as their VPN policy followed the same stupid model.

Finally the VPN model is now out of fashion. You are making the assumption that everything inside your network is trustworthy... Security in depth is the new mantra.
Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Tue 08-Dec-20 21:52:11
Print Post

Indeed, but then given we have prior to that no experience in providing that support there is a sever shortage of experience in doing so. Also like I pointed out you can't give much support in something you have no experience of. So a Virgin Media connection I can't help with for example.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Dec-20 22:27:10
Print Post

I would note that under Linux even if your IT department try and put everything down the VPN to rewrite the routing table after the VPN is up to change that. Probably easy under other OS's if you know what you are doing. I used to do it routinely at my previous employer as their VPN policy followed the same stupid model.

Of course. And I suspect there is a race between the root user and the VPN client with each version. A race the root user will always win.

Finally the VPN model is now out of fashion. You are making the assumption that everything inside your network is trustworthy... Security in depth is the new mantra.
Yep, the Zero Trust model, where your data/application lives in a conceptual island, and your authentication is multi-factor (E.g. device cert + user credentials + token etc).

Exactly the model my corporate (~300,000 staff) has adopted for the last 5 years. We still have a lot of systems/applications on our internal network, so we have VPN as well, just don’t always need to connect it. It has been split tunnel for over 20 years.

Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Tue 08-Dec-20 23:55:58
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

The Citrix Workspace app these days is pure HTTPS over port 443. Presumably to avoid all these sorts of issues. I wanted to double check on that because it has changed over the years (along with the name which seems to change every five minutes).

If the showtime is a couple of days and it works fine tethered to a mobile, then assuming it still does not work over ethernet then I would consider blaming the POS that is whatever router was provided by the ISP. If it works fine over ethernet but not WiFi then I would still blame the POS that is the ISP provided router.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Dec-20 01:27:44
Print Post

The talktalk hub works fine on Cisco VPN, absolutely.

I can sustain 9 hours via Cisco VPN and Citrix VDI without dropouts on next doors WiFi (we share our passwords for various reasons).

They have the latest one. It’s all very odd to be honest and I’m struggling...
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Wed 09-Dec-20 09:52:42
Print Post

Re: VPN & Citrix connections dropping *DELETED*

Post deleted by gary333

Edited by gary333 (Wed 09-Dec-20 09:53:56)

Standard User gary333
(experienced) Wed 09-Dec-20 09:54:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:

Its down to the IT department and security decisions.

Some organisations traditionally had very few people at home, and majority in the office, so it made sense to have all home workers access the internet via the VPN and through the same security plans as the office workers.

However with the majority at home, there may not be sufficient internet bandwidth into the office to handle both the inbound VPN and the outbound internet connections to cloud services. So many companies have reconfigured VPNs to be "split tunnel".

Cisco Anyconnect supports both, as does OpenVPN and many others.

Do you know if this is difficult to achieve a split tunnel, and if it's PCI compliant?

I would love to recommend this solution to the company I work for (as we use Anyconnect), and the VPN sometime suffers as they don't have ideal bandwidth to support the amount of users and provide a decent throughput.
(newbie) Wed 09-Dec-20 12:52:52
Print Post

Hi Gary,

I can confirm that Palo Alto Global Protect can do split tunnelling on protocol and application type, however I believe the company firewalls must also the Palo Alto branded for this to work.

Regards,
Haydn
Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Thu 10-Dec-20 13:52:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by gary333:
Do you know if this is difficult to achieve a split tunnel, and if it's PCI compliant?

You can achieve a split tunnel anytime you want on the client with any VPN solution you pick. You just need to change the routing table on the client after the VPN tunnel is up. I guess a VPN client could keep a watch on the routing table and change it back, but I have not seen one that does that, and with a client on Linux one could put a stop to that.

As there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop split tunnels, then if it's not PCI compliant the people who wrote the standard need a good thrashing with a clue stick.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to