Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Tue 26-Jan-21 15:03:47
Print Post

Re: Squeezing a few more megs from a slow FTTC

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
What are the impacted figures?

The full works:
VDSL Range A (Clean) 60 - 41.6 --- 13.7 - 8.5 handback 35
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 58.7 - 37.7 --- 13.5 - 7.9 32

And to remind, current connection is (down - up)

Attainable throughput kbit/s 40058 13156
Current throughput kbit/s 38477 9997

From what you have said, there is very little you can achieve inside the property

I can move the Master socket thus removing maybe 12 metres of xDSL run over Ethernet.

Did the installer use a pair in the Cat5e (Ethernet) cable?

Yes, the twisted almost matching blue pair! Also, and is this of relevance, he then used another pair in the same Ethernet cable to run an extension back from the Master where there's a normal phone point. (Never used, no phone connected but working.)

Disconnect the unused extension, and plug into the face plate. the small differences in Upstream between 13025 and 13126 will change regularly
Yes, I had it like that for a few weeks but I didn't make regular checks. SNR only went from 8 to 7 though.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 26-Jan-21 15:13:18
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

There is certainly something outside your control impacting the service and which could be a lot of crosstalk/noise. I would normally expect 550m to be over 50Mbps and potentially nearer 60.

Moving the master - as I said, you may get a small increment potentially under 1M, maybe just 100-200k. It is worth paying for that to be done? Probably not. Although, if that is the point of entry then you have ruled out anything on your side and you will just have to live with it as BT will not investigate the line.

Backwiring a voice pair should NOT cause an issue - one of the reasons why Cat5e &c have differing twist rates on each pair.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Tue 26-Jan-21 15:26:32
Print Post

There is certainly something outside your control impacting the service and which could be a lot of crosstalk/noise. I would normally expect 550m to be over 50Mbps and potentially nearer 60.

According to CodeLook there are just under 1000 lines in my cabinet. I had to wait for an FTTC connection. I'd guess there are around 200 houses using the lines coming from the cabinet to my street. Plenty of demand. You'd think they'd bring FTTP all the way up the road...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JHo1
(member) Tue 26-Jan-21 15:58:04
Print Post

When I switched to a Fritzbox 7530 my upstream speed immediately dropped to 1.0 Mbps from 1.2. I started getting line drops and my downstream was impacted too. After much faffing on I gave up on the Fritzbox and it's now front ended by my HG612. Zarjaz reckons that a BT HH handles a FTTC line even better than the HG612. Maybe a change of router could squeeze out that little extra.I'll leave the experts to make recommendations.

John
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Tue 26-Jan-21 16:04:09
Print Post

[re: JHo1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JHo1:
When I switched to a Fritzbox 7530 my upstream speed immediately dropped to 1.0 Mbps from 1.2.

But I like the FritzBox!I got as far as looking at DrayTek modems (because I've used DrayTek in the past and I didn't know where to start). Then I remembered I have a spare 7530 which I could use in modem only mode (I assume) thus saving me a £80 to £100. So, you know, thanks. wink I'll go look at whatever an HG612 is...

STOP PRESS: I have some sort of old Openreach modem in the pile of stuff what might come in useful one day. It'll be years old though.

Edited by Woolwich (Tue 26-Jan-21 16:07:11)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 26-Jan-21 16:09:08
Print Post

Which ISP are you with?

M H C

Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Tue 26-Jan-21 16:09:51
Print Post

Which ISP are you with?

Zen.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 26-Jan-21 16:14:48
Print Post

Rules out my idea ... I have a couple of spare BT hubs - I would have sent one to you as they need a good home!

M H C

Standard User JHo1
(member) Tue 26-Jan-21 16:23:51
Print Post

I know what you mean, the interface is friendlier than some, though the router does have its downsides. Page 65 in the manual tells you how to set it up, "Configuring Internet Access via cable modem".

John
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 26-Jan-21 19:50:03
Print Post

Woolwich

As nobody has has answered the part about your neighbours estimates. They are just that, estimates. A Openreach algorithm works them out, I think for each DP. Once you have service they are replaced by a better estimate based on what is actually achieved. Sometimes one persons service can change the estimates for the whole DP but not necessarily.

Just because they are further from the Cab in a direct line doesn't mean they are further by cable. This is easier to see when served overhead. You may be closer to the cab but further from the pole ( DP) and therefore further from the cab by cable. Your DP is underground and may be past you so adding more distance than you expect and less than your neighbours.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to