Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Wed 27-Jan-21 12:33:23
Print Post

Re: Squeezing a few more megs from a slow FTTC

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
There is certainly something outside your control impacting the service and which could be a lot of crosstalk/noise. I would normally expect 550m to be over 50Mbps and potentially nearer 60.

I've been looking at the Ethernet cable run and I'm sure its all away from the electric etc, done properly. But... the Master socket is now under the stair alongside the electric consumer unit. Its within 10 cms. Right above where the main power tails enter and where the main trip switch is located. And its also next to a double socket powering the router and a bunch of other stuff.

Could I be causing electrical interference to the xDSL line by having the Master here? In which case moving it back to the living room would be a sensible plan?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 27-Jan-21 12:57:23
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

Is moving it to the living room where you would shorten the run? If so, do it.

The power might or might not be causing an issue. You will never know until you try - electrical/electronic interference is often a "black art" and the unexpected happens. Sometime you might expect problems and nothing, other times, the reverse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Wed 27-Jan-21 14:05:48
Print Post

I would normally expect 550m to be over 50Mbps and potentially nearer 60.

More things within my control: I've made a settings change in my FritzBox. The Interference Resistance Settings were all set to 'maximum stability'. I've pushed them all to 'maximum performance'. Result, increase in actual and attainable speeds.

Earlier today they showed attainable of 40058 down, 12873 up and I was connected at 38447 and 9997.

Now I have an attainable of 47939 and 12913 and am connecting at the maximum for my package; 39999 and 9997. My SNR is now at 5dB and 7dB.

So, progress but I'm still not quite seeing the 13MBps upload I had the other day which is the point at which I'm willing to pay up for an 80/20 connection. Very close though. Lets see how stable the connection is though.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Jan-21 14:20:07
Print Post

"Currently I'm on a 40/10 deal and the "

"Current is : 38447 - 9997" Very nearly 40000 down and 10000 up

Are you not getting what you pay for?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk, upgraded to fibre 40/10
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Wed 27-Jan-21 15:06:06
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:

Never said I wasn't. What I'm trying to do is see is if I can increase my potential upload to a point where its worth my paying more for an 80/20 connection. So far it seems I could be able to get almost 13Mbps up.

Current current connection is at 39998 and 9997. So no complaints at all.
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Wed 27-Jan-21 15:22:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
In reply to a post by broadband66:

Never said I wasn't. What I'm trying to do is see is if I can increase my potential upload to a point where its worth my paying more for an 80/20 connection. So far it seems I could be able to get almost 13Mbps up.

Current current connection is at 39998 and 9997. So no complaints at all.

If you ISP will let you upgrade. Under the Advertising Standards Authority rules ISPs have to advertise average speeds that at least 50% of their customers receive at the network’s busiest time (8-10pm) (see the Advice Note on the OFCOM web-site). If you are only going to see a small gain in download speeds, you will probably be bringing down the average which it can advertise so it may have a policy not to sell in those circumstances.
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Wed 27-Jan-21 15:27:41
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
If you ISP will let you upgrade.

Hadn't though to that! But they're offering me a 40/10 connection estimated at 38 to 40 down and 9 up or an 80/20 with 38 - 60 and 9. And although I'm looking for an increase to upload I seem to be doing better increasing the download....
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 27-Jan-21 16:03:09
Print Post

There is one small piece that can make a difference and often overlooked.

WHat do you have between socket and modem? Is it flat phone interconnect or a 2 pair Cat5e twisted pair cable? It may only be 1m long but as it is inside the house where there is a lot of noise, use of a twisted pair can bring a small but noticable improvement.

I tend to recommend using one of these from Kenable Cat5e Modem Cable

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Thu 28-Jan-21 08:14:15
Print Post

There is one small piece that can make a difference and often overlooked.

WHat do you have between socket and modem? Is it flat phone interconnect or a 2 pair Cat5e twisted pair cable?

Good point, thanks, worth thinking about. I am actually using the cable supplied with the FritzBox so I'm hoping that's good! It has both DSL and POTS connections so is nice and neat. (The FritzBox has a DECT base station thus the POTS line.)

Meanwhile I've got my attainable up to nearly 51000 & 13500 (without moving the Master!). I'm watching it for a day or three before upgrading to a 80/20 service. I think its now as good as I can get it.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Jan-21 16:29:35
Print Post

"Never said I wasn't. What I'm trying to do is see is if I can increase my potential upload to a point where its worth my paying more for an 80/20 connection."

I get it now but you never actually mentioned about upgrading in your OP. The title suggests you are on a SLOW FTTC but you are actually on a very fast FTTC.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk, upgraded to fibre 40/10

Edited by broadband66 (Thu 28-Jan-21 16:30:53)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to