Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Thu 28-Jan-21 17:19:12
Print Post

Re: Squeezing a few more megs from a slow FTTC

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
I get it now but you never actually mentioned about upgrading in your OP. The title suggests you are on a SLOW FTTC but you are actually on a very fast FTTC.

Sorry for the confusion! It's a long thread but somewhere I did say, "a one third increase in upload and I might be willing to pay the extra fiver".

I suppose it depends on you definition of slow and fast. I probably think its slow because its not as fast as the OR checker says it could be. But now I've fiddled with the router I agree, its fast - for a 40/10 connection. Also, I've had 80/20 connections in the past, so this one is slow! wink
Standard User Woolwich
(experienced) Tue 09-Feb-21 16:14:10
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

A few days later: Obviously touching the NTE5 is not allowed, so, obviously, I wouldn't do that, cos that would be naughty. But, as if by magic, I've been able to remove the 12 or 15 metres of internal cabling from the equation. My modem is now connected right where the OR pair enter the house.

I was hoping this might get me a few more Mb. Folk here seem to think my line length should get around 60Mbps. And if you've read the whole thread you'll know that my neighbours either side (and including those100% defiantly further from the cabinet than I) get a faster predicted speed than I do.

So the result. SFA. No difference.

I've now eliminated my internal wiring. Anything slowing me down in comparison with the rest of my street isn't in my house or under my control. And with my actual speeds within Openreach's predictions: nobody's going to take a look see.

I've had to connect using an old ECI modem so as to keep the rest of my network running on a FritzBox which can't be moved from its current position. That means I can't keep an eye on the stats. I can't see if the predicted speeds are going to increase over the next few days. Is that a possibility? If so I could connect a spare FritzBox and see what it reports. But I don't want to be doing that too often.

Last time I looked I had an attainable of around 48 to 49 down, a bit under 13 up. If I can get a stable figure over 13 its just about worth it for me to pay to move to an 80/20 service. If I could achieve the same as next door's predicted of up to 18 up, I'd be Very Happy.

What are my chances/options now?
Standard User heathrow
(regular) Wed 10-Feb-21 17:39:21
Print Post

In which case the pair you're on probably isn't very good.

Providing the line is above the handback threshhold, OR won't do anythng - I'm afraid you've encountered the compromised nature of DSL. It's a technology which gets copper to do stuff it was never designed for.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Woolwich
(experienced) Wed 10-Feb-21 18:00:51
Print Post

[re: heathrow] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by heathrow:
In which case the pair you're on probably isn't very good.

I have a pair or pairs! If they were able to be swopped, would that make any odds? Being as the two pairs are contained in a single cable.

Supplementary question: what should I hear on a quiet line test? I mean a dead line, no sound what so ever? Or a bit of a quiet background that might even be the sound of me own lughole?
Standard User heathrow
(regular) Wed 10-Feb-21 20:33:05
Print Post

Pair swapping? Depends which pair...

The pair on the dropwire, the pair from the DP to the cabinet....

It might either improve or worsen things.

Your quiet line test should be totally silent.

Best time to run it is after heavy downpour; if there are any wet joints you'll hear rice crispies on the line (snap, crackle, pop). Any problems with the voice circuit - report them.

My copper circuit was 500m cable run to the cabinet. I was AAISP and we could should that there were issues. I had a very helpful and good tech who replaced the dropwire, arranged for a new cable to be put into between DP and subDP (poles). This raised my speed from 33 to 45. IT should have been 60 for that length. However the buried cable from the DP to the cabinet was knackered and OR wouldn't replace it.

I've now ditched OR and have a Community Fibre link with VM backup.
Standard User Woolwich
(experienced) Thu 11-Feb-21 08:45:49
Print Post

Pair swapping? Depends which pair...

The pair on the dropwire, the pair from the DP to the cabinet....

I'm all underground. There's a joint box (JF2 or JF4 maybe) about 10 metres away then its 550m back to the cabinet, all underground.

Your quiet line test should be totally silent.

If I listen hard I think I can hear a bit of background hiss. Nothing like a noisy line at another flat I lived in though. I think most people would say it was quiet, but I'm not a trained engineer!

No choice here...
Standard User heathrow
(regular) Thu 11-Feb-21 09:49:16
Print Post

It might be worth getting a second pair of ears to listen to quiet line.

I suspect you're not going to be able to squeeze much more out of your pair.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Feb-21 11:48:45
Print Post

Less choices outside the big cities. I'm about 30miles south west of Heathrow. Here its VM coax cable, or 38 / 3 FTTC smile

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sat 13-Feb-21 10:28:01
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
I'm also not a fan of having 500m+ of CW1308 twisted pair then a random length of cat5 in the home, all part of the xdsl link.
I recommend CW1308 all the way to the modem! Cat5e from the modem to the router.

Electrically CW1308 is about the same ballpark characteristics as Category 3 of c.1989 vintage. It actually predates Cat3 by quite some years so that is perhaps complimentary. But anyway it’s really not a highly performant cable spec. Born in a world of 3KHz voice bandwidth and analogue modems.

There is no impedance mismatch with either cable type, they are both 100 ohm characteristic impedance. Cat5e actually has a far greater channel bandwidth at 100 MHz than CW1308 could ever hope too. It’s also superior for attenuation and cross talk. It’s designed and widely used in a structured cabling capacity to transport all manner of telco services.

Why would x meters of Cat5e in the DSL channel be detrimental?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Feb-21 15:26:18
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

"Why would x meters of Cat5e in the DSL channel be detrimental?"

One would require x metres. smile 2 multimeters and 2 gas meters wouldn't cut it.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk, upgraded to fibre 40/10
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to