Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sat 13-Feb-21 15:50:53
Print Post

Re: Squeezing a few more megs from a slow FTTC

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
"Why would x meters of Cat5e in the DSL channel be detrimental?"

One would require x metres. smile 2 multimeters and 2 gas meters wouldn't cut it.

Don't rush to go on the stand up circuit, when lockdown ends eh wink

now if you still want to talk meters rather than metres - what you want my friend is a frequency domain test using a cable analyser. These days typically a Fluke DSX or back in the day twas a PentaScanner.

CW1308 is .....well pretty rubbish cable to be fair. The only reason we use it is because its there (legacy), cheap and still strung up around the country.

I would encourage everyone to use at least Cat5e (or even Cat6 or 6A) as a means to reliably and properly extend networks around their homes and offices. This can also be successfully used for VDSL comms too. No issue and you then can put the £5 roll of CW1308 in the skip where it belongs, rather than your wall cavities.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Feb-21 16:05:12
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

No need to preach to me.

Modem/Router --- Wireless AP (cable router dhcp off) --- Smart TV and SkyQ box

Modem/Router (as above) --- Switch (10/100) --- 2 PCs and Laptop

--- = cat5e cables lifted carpets, drilled through floorboards, pulled through ducts.

If one wants the best connectivity then a little hard work is required.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk, upgraded to fibre 40/10
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sat 13-Feb-21 16:08:39
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Happy days for you chap. Enjoy yourself.

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Sun 14-Feb-21 12:06:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
CW1308 is .....well pretty rubbish cable to be fair. The only reason we use it is because its there (legacy), cheap and still strung up around the country.

I would encourage everyone to use at least Cat5e (or even Cat6 or 6A) as a means to reliably and properly extend networks around their homes and offices. This can also be successfully used for VDSL comms too. No issue and you then can put the £5 roll of CW1308 in the skip where it belongs, rather than your wall cavities.

I am not entirely sure that using ethernet cable to extend an xDSL line is best practice. The different twist rates over the line coming to your house is potentially an issue. Besides for a given length of cable the copper length increases as you go up the ethernet cable specs.

The best thing is to get the xDSL signal coming into the house converted to ethernet as soon as practically possible, and then take it as ethernet from there.

This almost invariably means a modem as close as possible to the NTE5. If you don't have power there then use power over ethernet and a splitter with a 12V output with a centre positive 2.1mm DC jack (more or less standard) to power the modem. Works for HG612's, ECI and Vigor modems, and most likely most others.

GIven that in due course the NTE5 is likely to be replaced with an ONT it's the way to go longer term.

A combined modem/router is almost never the best option.
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sun 14-Feb-21 13:18:28
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

I guess having cut my teeth designing and putting structured cabling systems in my early career I see it differently...

It’s a popular mistake think of or even call (category or indeed class rated) twisted pair structured cabling as “Ethernet cable” - although it may now be predominantly used for such these days.

Ethernet was not the universal or ubiquitous networking technology, back in the day. In the late eighties and early nineties there were several cabling technologies that carried amongst other things Token Ring (remember that!) - typically IBM Type 1 and the first generation of Ethernet. Indeed Ethernet was first transported on Thicknet (10Base5) 50-ohm coaxial cabling with transceivers or Thinnet coaxial, as well as Category 3 UTP. I wouldn’t call coax “Ethernet cable” any more than 4-pair UTP.

Indeed when AT&T pioneered their 4-pair balanced UTP “structured cabling system” was designed from the outset to be a multi-protocol almost multi-media balanced pair transmission system for the carriage of LAN, WAN/telco signalling as well as video (with baluns).

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Pheasant (Sun 14-Feb-21 13:22:37)

Standard User clyde123
(member) Mon 15-Feb-21 08:46:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
<snip>, amongst other things Token Ring (remember that!) - typically IBM Type 1 and the first generation of Ethernet. Indeed Ethernet was first transported on Thicknet (10Base5) 50-ohm coaxial cabling with transceivers or Thinnet coaxial, as well as Category 3 UTP. I wouldn’t call coax “Ethernet cable” any more than 4-pair UTP.

<snip>

Had forgotten about Broken Ring smile
Chuckle
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Mon 15-Feb-21 10:14:41
Print Post

[re: clyde123] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by clyde123:
Had forgotten about Broken Ring smile
Chuckle

Hehe. Tell me about it. Or diagnosing a network fault on thin-net - one cable break or misplaced terminator and the entire network is dead.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 15-Feb-21 11:46:44
Print Post

Some of the companies in my industry still have token-ring installations and they are being maintained. Although they are likely to finally disappear soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Mon 15-Feb-21 17:00:51
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Some of the companies in my industry still have token-ring installations and they are being maintained. Although they are likely to finally disappear soon.

What industry if you don't me asking? Last time I crossed paths with TR was back in Australia in the mid-late nineties, in retail banking, where it was being replaced with you guessed it.

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to