Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JB68
(member) Sat 10-Apr-21 10:57:32
Print Post

Wifi 6 speed. ASUS AX88u

[link to this post]

Hi guys.

Recently got 900 meg fibre and using my iPad Pro which has WiFi 6. I can only get about 350-400. And I’ve changed various settings and still can’t get more.

I had a look around on Google and people with the same router and iPad can get 800+

I’m testImg really close to it, using the latest Merlin firmware too.

Shows in the wireless logs that I’m on ax and I’ve tried 160 MHz channels too but same speed. Stuck what to do now.
Standard User Grimers
(regular) Sat 10-Apr-21 11:31:56
Print Post

Re: Wifi 6 speed. ASUS AX88u

[re: JB68] [link to this post]

Ask yourself, is it really an issue, i.e. do you need 900 Mb on your iPad? wink
Standard User JB68
(member) Sat 10-Apr-21 11:47:11
Print Post

[re: Grimers] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Grimers:
Ask yourself, is it really an issue, i.e. do you need 900 Mb on your iPad? wink

Good question haha, nah it was just curious how they can hit that speed on the iPad.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Grimers
(regular) Sat 10-Apr-21 12:22:37
Print Post

I would be curious, too! This is a strange one, but not sure what it could be, I'm afraid.
Standard User JB68
(member) Sat 10-Apr-21 12:44:25
Print Post

[re: Grimers] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Grimers:
I would be curious, too! This is a strange one, but not sure what it could be, I'm afraid.

Yeah strange one, but hitting over 400mbps on wifi, I can't really complain

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sat 10-Apr-21 14:55:27
Print Post

Have you experimented with other channel widths? I’ve found that 80 MHz channels a good performing compromise. Besides which there’s precious little running 160 MHz. I'm not even sure Apple support 160 Meg channels on their phones and tablets right now, do they? Also don't test too closely to the AP, keep a few metres away.

For what its worth I’m running 4x4 AC with 80 Meg channels on my Ubiquiti NanoHD access points and can manage 620 Mbps down and around 590 Mbps up in "ideal" conditions - a few metres from the AP with no obstructions. This is on an iPhone 12 Pro, but with other clients variously on both 2G and 5G hanging on the AP’s so that’s not an isolated ‘ragged qualifying lap with barely vapours in the tank’ type of test that you may be seeing posted on the ‘net. Also run 20Meg wide channels on 2G on the same APs for legacy stuff. Seems to work ok.

Anyhow, its all slightly academic, as unless you live with an AP above you all the time, a wall or two and a couple of obstructions soon takes the shine off the peak speeds! The vagaries of WiFi really.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User JB68
(member) Sat 10-Apr-21 15:47:48
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
Have you experimented with other channel widths? I’ve found that 80 MHz channels a good performing compromise. Besides which there’s precious little running 160 MHz. I'm not even sure Apple support 160 Meg channels on their phones and tablets right now, do they? Also don't test too closely to the AP, keep a few metres away.

For what its worth I’m running 4x4 AC with 80 Meg channels on my Ubiquiti NanoHD access points and can manage 620 Mbps down and around 590 Mbps up in "ideal" conditions - a few metres from the AP with no obstructions. This is on an iPhone 12 Pro, but with other clients variously on both 2G and 5G hanging on the AP’s so that’s not an isolated ‘ragged qualifying lap with barely vapours in the tank’ type of test that you may be seeing posted on the ‘net. Also run 20Meg wide channels on 2G on the same APs for legacy stuff. Seems to work ok.

Anyhow, its all slightly academic, as unless you live with an AP above you all the time, a wall or two and a couple of obstructions soon takes the shine off the peak speeds! The vagaries of WiFi really.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Apr-21 16:45:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by JB68:
Recently got 900 meg fibre and using my iPad Pro which has WiFi 6. I can only get about 350-400. And I’ve changed various settings and still can’t get more.

I have an AX88U with Merlin firmware, but my only WiFi 6 devices are my iPhone 12 and a corporate issued iPhone SE (2020). I'm using 80 MHz channels. I suspect your iPad Pro is a 2020 model? My internet is 200 Mbps from Virgin Media, and I can easily achieve that.

Whilst the AX88U has 4 antenna, I don't think the iPhone or iPad has any more than 2, which I suspect you need to get faster speeds.

I see PHY link speeds around 1200 Mbps on the ASUS Wireless log, which I thought was the max of 2 antenna WiFi 6.

I always think of usable throughput as half the PHY ??

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Sat 10-Apr-21 16:46:03)

Print Thread

Jump to