Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User charlestown
(regular) Sat 24-Apr-21 11:45:11
Print Post

Slower following migration to new ISP

[link to this post]

Yesterday I migrated from Vodafone to Pulse 8, which uses TalkTalk Business I understand. Everything went smoothly and it was a seamless transition, however I have seen a clear drop in both download speed and ping speeds. Over wifi it's basically gone from a solid 74mbps to around 68mbps max and ping speeds have broadly increased from 12 to 20 using the same modem/router configuration. Uploads are also a bit slower.

I contacted Pulse 8 about this briefly yesterday and they replied that it is normal for speeds to start slow and increase over time, which hasn't been my experience in the past with FTTC.

Presumably we are talking about DLM here and I wondered when I am likely to see an improvement. Last night some data was uploaded to iCloud and OneDrive that both seemed very pedestrian compared to before. More so than the simple numbers might suggest.

I have just run a test here with the new connection, which seems very similar to what I am finding with Speedtest.net app on my computer.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/16192593093...

I also ran a test with Vodafone at Speedtest.net shortly before migration.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/d/301685716

Is this just a case of being patient or worth going back to the ISP?

TPL-Link AC2300 router - Draytek Vigor 130 modem.

Edited by charlestown (Sat 24-Apr-21 11:46:12)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Apr-21 14:12:28
Print Post

Re: Slower following migration to new ISP

[re: charlestown] [link to this post]

The suspected cause will be a reset .

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Apr-21 17:37:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by charlestown:
Is this just a case of being patient or worth going back to the ISP?
Just be patient. When you migrate between ISPs the Openreach system is reset, and has to re-learn the stability of your line.

If you had access to the connection statistics from the modem/router and posted them here, others could advise.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User charlestown
(regular) Sat 24-Apr-21 17:40:48
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I'll have to look into the modem part. The modem is only a couple weeks old and I never had to log in, because it was just plug & play so the all the configuration was handled via the router. Sounds likely I just need to wait a few days though. The line itself seems stable, just slower than I am used to.

TPL-Link AC2300 router - Draytek Vigor 130 modem.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Apr-21 21:13:57
Print Post

Same thing happened to me a few years ago when I migrated from Plusnet to IDNet. Speeds dropped from ~64 to ~59. Took a couple of months to recover. Oddly it recovered on a Saturday afternoon while I was in the middle of a massive upload session.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
  Print Thread

Jump to