General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 25-Jan-12 22:52:22
Print Post

Re: fed up withTalk Talk problem for 14 days now

[re: moggy68] [link to this post]

You're doing well so far smile. Found the most important stats and that exchange could be worse.

Did you restart the router before taking them, like MrSaffron asked? That can make a big difference.

From the stats you posted you could very well have had some very bad noise event or events at the time it all went to pot. If you have just restarted the router - completely turned it off and best to wait five minutes before turning it back on, then that noise has caused the system to alter the settings on your line due to instability, and slow you down.

That should sort itself in time, or there are ways of getting it sorted if it doesn't. Or if you didn't restart the router that may help a bit anyway.

Have a read of my Noise margin page for an explanation of what it is, then my page about High SNRM/Margin. Also you might find an improvement on your line is possible by dealing with the ring wire. It's in the menu next to that second page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Jan-12 23:32:29
Print Post

I am willing to bet that the noise margin was more like 6dB back then and some noise has caused lots of resyncs and the BT DLM system has now slowed you down to make it more stable.

Chafford Hundred is well known for being a long way from the exchange, might even have been a TPON area originally.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User moggy68
(newbie) Thu 26-Jan-12 16:28:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

thanking everyone for your help so far, much apreciated
I will turn off the router for while, then turn back on then take the stats again

And post on here...

by the way, on the BT Speedchecker am i missing something, as can only see the test page, the results page, i cannot click on?

weird!

latest stats AT 17.15

After leaving router off for 10 minutes

DOWNSTREAM UPSTREAM
SNR MARGIN 16.0 16.00
LINE ATT 61.0 31.5
DATA RATE 1312 448
POWER 17.0 12.5
CRC 0 0

Edited by moggy68 (Thu 26-Jan-12 17:10:04)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 26-Jan-12 17:28:54
Print Post

That's what we want to see, even though it isn't good smile.

The SNR margin of 16dB shows it was 15dB at the moment you connected. That has been caused by bursts of noise and possibly you did a lot of reconnects at some time in a short period, to try to get your proper speed back.

If you leave things alone you should find it drops by 3dB every 10-14 days and automatically reconnects a few hundred kbps faster. It is possible to ask the ISP for an SNR Margin reset, which should bring it down to normal very quickly - just a few hours perhaps while the order gets through to wherever it is done.

That may be worth doing, but best if you first see if the ring wire needs dealing with, as per my previous post. If that is present it is a major source of noise, and could at some time just wreck things again.

In your first post you said "Just did a test on Bt Speedchecker result 0.20megs download". That, (the Results page), comes up automatically at the conclusion of the test. Is it hanging on the Testing one, or just taking for ever?

If you are getting to the Testing page OK, please make a note of the Configured speed. That is the IP Profile which is the most important bit at this stage smile.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User moggy68
(newbie) Thu 26-Jan-12 19:42:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That's what we want to see, even though it isn't good smile.

The SNR margin of 16dB shows it was 15dB at the moment you connected. That has been caused by bursts of noise and possibly you did a lot of reconnects at some time in a short period, to try to get your proper speed back.

If you leave things alone you should find it drops by 3dB every 10-14 days and automatically reconnects a few hundred kbps faster. It is possible to ask the ISP for an SNR Margin reset, which should bring it down to normal very quickly - just a few hours perhaps while the order gets through to wherever it is done.

That may be worth doing, but best if you first see if the ring wire needs dealing with, as per my previous post. If that is present it is a major source of noise, and could at some time just wreck things again.

In your first post you said "Just did a test on Bt Speedchecker result 0.20megs download". That, (the Results page), comes up automatically at the conclusion of the test. Is it hanging on the Testing one, or just taking for ever?

If you are getting to the Testing page OK, please make a note of the Configured speed. That is the IP Profile which is the most important bit at this stage smile.

Hi, thanks for reply

BT Speedchecker - 0.97mbps

Speedtest.net - 0.97mbps - Ping - 55 - Upload 35

first time above 0.45mbps in over two weeks

May disconnect both BT Telephone sockets from upstairs this weekend, just use the main one in hallway, with the BTI Plate fitted then plug in main telephone in the hallway main socket.
Then do both speedchecks again
All 3 sockets are original BT fitted when house was built in 2002

Do you think this may help?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 26-Jan-12 19:51:18
Print Post

We still need to see the full BT speed test results please. The bits in the two boxes for downstream and upstream. The graphical bit isn't any use. There is a lot of info in those text boxes such as the IP Profile that you aren't telling us.

The value of the IP Profile could very well be the problem.

Standard User moggy68
(newbie) Thu 26-Jan-12 20:14:42
Print Post

We still need to see the full BT speed test results please. The bits in the two boxes for downstream and upstream. The graphical bit isn't any use. There is a lot of info in those text boxes such as the IP Profile that you aren't telling us.

The value of the IP Profile could very well be the problem.

I wish i could put them up, but you must be seeing something i am not,
Not showing two boxes on my screen sorry to say.
Just 1 buttom "Start test" then after that is reads just "Download Speed 0.97"
Thats all that shows, cannot see anything else, wish i could.

I am using the link that was posted above ..... BTspeedtest that is the correct one, as beginning to think i am going mad...lol

thanks for being patient
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 26-Jan-12 20:18:26
Print Post

Are you sure you aren't clicking the beta option? You want the "ADSL and Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC)" one on this page.

Standard User moggy68
(newbie) Thu 26-Jan-12 20:46:14
Print Post

Are you sure you aren't clicking the beta option? You want the "ADSL and Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC)" one on this page.

Just going to bash my head with a hammer...lol
thanks,

was clicking other one!
here goes:
Download - 839kbps / max achievable 1000kbps
For Your Connection - range of speed is 200 - 1000kbps
DSL Connection Rate 1312kbps downstream - upstream = 448kbps
IP Profile is 1000kbps
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 26-Jan-12 22:23:48
Print Post

So is it running OK now in normal use? That says, (I think) it downloaded at 839kbps on the speed test.

Can you also post the new stats please?

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 26-Jan-12 22:25:34)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to