General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Jan-12 23:29:04
Print Post

Re: fed up withTalk Talk problem for 14 days now

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The SNR margin of 16dB shows it was 15dB at the moment you connected.
If you leave things alone you should find it drops by 3dB every 10-14 days.
I believe your theory that target NMs generally only go in multiples of 3 dB is fallacious.

Orange LLU always connected at 10 dB and it was rock steady during connection, so it is very unlikely it raised 1 dB in millisecs. Other Orange users reported the same initial NM.

Since my little trouble last w/e, Orange WBC has connected at 4 dB, tho' it could be 4.5 dB. Before the troubles it was consistently 3 dB.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Jan-12 00:35:10
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

No LLU is relevant to the BT Wholesale DLM, on:- any IP Stream variant; IPSC; WBC; or WBMC.

The BT Wholesale DLMs have always worked in 3dB steps. Until recently the minimum value was 6dB and the maximum 15dB.

The latest WBC/WBMC one allows a drop to 3dB from the default 6dB.

Whether it also allows finer steps than 3dB, in the same way as the IP Profile is now stepless, I wouldn't like to argue about. I expect the information is in the Customer Handbook, which is not a public document.

The OP is almost certainly on IP Stream or IP Connect. I believe both have the original DLM. The IP Profile is a stepped one.

On a long line a 1dB change within seconds is easily possible, particularly if the router is one of the many that report in 0.5dB steps. Not too difficult even on a shortish one.

Edit - typos.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 27-Jan-12 00:38:02)

Standard User moggy68
(newbie) Fri 27-Jan-12 17:08:10
Print Post

Hi Robertos

Would not go as far as saying now running ok, as first post i put always got between 1.7meg to 3.0 meg most times of the day, for last 2 years!

Last 2 weeks been getting 0.35meg to 0.45meg if lucky.
But last night it went up to 0.97meg, best for over 2 weeks.

Will post stats up on here again, be happy if if got to 1.7meg, at least that speed is useable....

thanking you for all your help so far, & to everyone else..

here goes from BT speedtester
few nights ago:

Download - 839kbps / max achievable 1000kbps
For Your Connection - range of speed is 200 - 1000kbps
DSL Connection Rate 1312kbps downstream - upstream = 448kbps
IP Profile is 1000kbps

tonight from BT speedtester
here goes:
Download - 919kbps / max achievable 1000kbps
For Your Connection - range of speed is 200 - 1000kbps
DSL Connection Rate 1312kbps downstream - upstream = 448kbps
IP Profile is 1000kbps

From speedtest.net / tonight 5.20pm
Ping 55
Download Speed 0.96mbps
Upload Speed 35

Router Stats: Tonight
SNR Downstream 19.0db Upstream 16.0db
Line Att: Downstream 61.0db Upstream 31.5db
Data Rate: Downstream 1312kbps Upstream 448kbps
Power: Downstream 17.0dbm Upstream 12.5dbm
CRC: Downstream 5 Upstream 29

so where has my 1.7 to 3.0 gone? lol

Edited by moggy68 (Fri 27-Jan-12 17:35:46)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Jan-12 17:48:52
Print Post

[re: moggy68] [link to this post]

Sorry, it was late frown. I don't want to borrow your hammer though. We're quits now tongue.

Your 3Mbps has gone because of the high noise margin setting, and we have established it is a sync-time setting.

You need to get that down to the TalkTalk default value to start with, (on their LLU it is 9dB, but on non-LLU like yours it may be 6dB), so I suggest you tell them you had some temporary problem that has caused it to be set high, and please can they bring it back down. There is a facility on BT Wholesale lines like yours to do an SNR Margin reset, that they should be able to use.

Each 3dB costs you 500-750kbps.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User moggy68
(newbie) Fri 27-Jan-12 17:57:09
Print Post

lol,
WELL A MASSIVE THANKYOU FOR YOUR HELP
i have learnt a lot in the last week,

What a great website, and helpful people, will spread the word

Not looking forward to ringing Talk Talk, as the worst thing about them, is speaking with them on the telephone, it is enough to make you leave them. That's not just my feeling, that is everyone i have ever spoke to who is with Talk Talk, and ever had a problem. On a scale of 1 - 10 i would give them -100
If your with them, with no poblem, then all is well.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Jan-12 18:19:17
Print Post

Apparently they have a monitored in-house forum and that is the recommended place to go for help from reps. Not the phone support.

Standard User moggy68
(newbie) Fri 27-Jan-12 18:23:39
Print Post

many thanks, rather talk to my sofa than them....lol

perhaps will look on here, send message and copy paste what you have put

thanks again, watch this space!
Standard User moggy68
(newbie) Sun 29-Jan-12 08:14:20
Print Post

Dear Mr M*******,

Thank you for contacting TalkTalk Technical Support regarding your request to change the SNR setting and your billing dispute.

I humbly apologise to the inconvenience this matter has caused you and I would do my utmost to help resolve these issues.

I understand that you are requesting to change the SNR margin of your Broadband service. Please note that this kind of concern is on an advance level and needs to be dealt with by a higher support group. I regret that I am unable to forward this to them as the only way to reach them is through phone contact. In line with this, I strongly suggest calling us on the number provided below so that our Second Line Support Team can assist you in changing the SNR margin or the profile of your Broadband service.

Furthermore, I will forward this email to our Customer Service and Billing Team to address the disputes on your bill. Rest assured that they will answer your query within 24 to 48 hours.

I trust that these pieces of information should help resolve the matter.

Should you have further queries, you may call us directly on 0870 444 1820. Lines are open from 8am to 10pm, seven days a week. Alternatively, you can contact us on http://help.talktalk.co.uk/app/ask.

looks like i will have to telephone them, really looking forward to this NOT! lol

Edited by moggy68 (Sun 29-Jan-12 08:15:56)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 29-Jan-12 08:52:17
Print Post

So they are going to make you go through all the hoops frown. That must be the only reason for that.

"Have you made sure there isn't any custard inside your keyboard sir? That's a very common cause of this problem. If you have had your keyboard more than six months please replace it anyway as it could had corroded and be emitting radio-active gases which can affect your telephone wire."

Standard User moggy68
(newbie) Sun 29-Jan-12 09:09:03
Print Post

"please sir, could you tell us If your router is plugged in?"

thats the normal one!

lol

Wish me luck!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to