General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kp52
(newbie) Thu 26-Apr-12 09:28:22
Print Post

Anyone had BT support call being passed on to scammer firm?

[link to this post]

I had a call from a distraught friend yesterday. She had called the BT broadband support number for an internet connectivity problem, but said she was patched through to a firm that sounds remarkably like the cold callers you get now and then. The ones who lead you though your logs and tell you your PC is infested etc., want to get remote control of your machine and flog you free software. She coughed up over £50, and lost her rag three hours into the call when they wanted to sign her up for a £180 maintenance contact.

BT claim they never had a call from her, and of course their staff would never do such a thing. She's adamant she called the number on her BT bill. Her bank (Santander) say she has to try to recover the money from the company for 30 days before they could do anything, because it's a debit card payment.

Given the blunt rejection at the first step of complaining to BT, I advised her to contact Ofcom and write to BT to say she's doing so. Is that likely to have the slightest effect? What is the best course of action for her? Has anyone else experienced/heard of bent BT staff passing on calls to these scammers?

frown KP
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 26-Apr-12 09:35:26
Print Post

Re: Anyone had BT support call being passed on to scammer fi

[re: kp52] [link to this post]

Does her phone handset have a record of recent numbers called? If so, get her to write them down, not just read them. That will will either show she misdialled, or be useful as evidence if need be.

I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't transpose two digits, which is why writing it down is important. It is natural to read what you think is there, not what is actually there. You've probably noticed that yourself - it's what typos here are all about.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Thu 26-Apr-12 10:00:25
Print Post

Sad story and misdialling is easily done especially if your friend is older (like me!) The scammers are up to all the tricks and may well have a number similar to BT's helper.

If she is a BT customer her bill lists all calls made and recent calls can be accessed online at BT-My Account.

If her call turns out to have been bogus then she needs to change/block her debit card. Once the crooks have her details it's certain they will again steal from her account.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Apr-12 11:19:19
Print Post

The official BT number is
Call us24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Please make sure you're at your computer when you call.
From a landline: 0800 111 4567

You are entitled to report this to the police, and I would suggest they do this.

If you want to private message me the phone number that she is convinced she called then send me it, and will give it a test call. Also it is possible the paper bill was actual part of the scam, i.e. fake and through ID theft it is possible that scammers have acquired some BT customer addresses and account numbers to make it more convincing.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Apr-12 11:26:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
..... it is possible that scammers have acquired some BT customer addresses and account numbers to make it more convincing.

That wouldn't be difficult given BT's propensity to farm out services to seemingly random and unknown companies.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Apr-12 12:17:03
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Hence why reporting to Police will be useful, as there may be a pattern.

Ofcom is likely to do very little, unless the number was in the UK, but VoIP means you can have a UK looking number, but be located in some evil volcano lair

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User creakycopperline
(regular) Thu 26-Apr-12 13:46:50
Print Post

We had them call us up last week trying to scam my father, the only problem with it was the video card was on the way out, after he connected to them the thing refused to boot at all, the good thing was as the card was on the fritz, it gave me time to get home, after he left for work. i decided to have some fun, kept hanging up. when his supervisor called back i told them they were a scam, and hung up, he never called back.
They won't be getting much as the pc had been formatted the night before.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Apr-12 15:16:27
Print Post

Safest to call 150 and navigate to BT BB technical help. Then you can't go wrong!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User kp52
(newbie) Thu 26-Apr-12 15:48:44
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Safest to call 150 ...

Ha ha! She spent 1.5 hrs talking to BT yesterday. They called her a liar.

Further details I've learnt today:
- Yes, she called the real BT on 0800 111 4567. It now turns out that she was called back by the outfit from onlinepcwizards.com shortly after putting the phone down, claiming to be working on BT's behalf.

- I advised her to disconnect the machine yesterday, and now have the PC with me, to remove whatever remote control software it was they installed. Today they called her back to chase up the unfinished business. She told them she didn't want their stuff, that BT would be investigating them, and so would her bank if the money already paid was not returned within 30 days. When she asked (today) where they got her number from, they said it was "random". Extraordinary cocincidence, innit?

Her daughter has some experience dealing with a BT cockup on her own account, and is helping her to follow up that line of action. Seems pretty obvious to me that BT have failed in their duty of care, quite apart from blatantly denying the fact that the trouble started with a call to them.

KP
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Apr-12 15:59:16
Print Post

Proving the link is the difficult thing.
There are enough people who have had genuinely random ones.

There is an inference that maybe someone in a BT call centre is passing on the details of customers. The call my mother had was claiming to be from Microsoft, these people will claim whatever they can, and they aren't going to be truthful if you confront them.

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Apr-12 16:03:34
Print Post

Have you tried a WhoIs on onlinepcwizards.com?

More about these scammers via Google.
Is Facebook the connection? People don't realise what info they freely give out and have no control whatsoever over what others give out about them!

Edited by Deadbeat (Thu 26-Apr-12 16:05:37)

Standard User HTTP404
(newbie) Thu 26-Apr-12 16:52:26
Print Post

These scamming calls tend to be random, just bad coincidence that the call was immediately after a call to BT. They tend to just work their way through the phone book, I know people who don't own pc's get the calls.
Claiming to be from Microsoft is the more common scam, selling upgrades to your security.
The last one I had I tracert'd back to Hydrobad, whois just showed a large service company.
Microsoft's own site validation did not flag this as a problem site - I reported it - no action.
I tried reporting it to the police. Web scams are no longer dealt with by local police, they ask you to call some anonymous face at the Home Office who appears to be doing nothing more than collating numbers on scams - no interest in actually following up. The person I spoke to seemed to have little or no specific knowledge on the subject of internet scams - just a civil servant count the number of calls.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Apr-12 19:51:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by kp52:
. Her bank (Santander) say she has to try to recover the money from the company for 30 days before they could do anything, because it's a debit card payment.

1st off report here

Get back onto Santander and get her to say that the company never did anything to her computer. This opens up non reciept of service, and on computer software this can be actioned straight away..
Also get her to mention that these companies are known to visa, and as such a chargeback can be actioned as they are a known scan company.
Don't let her be fobbed off by the call center monkies, Get her to ask for the disputes department.... They will know exactly how to deal with this.

As someone who works this type of thing I have no idea where the 30 days they quote comes from as ALL visa timescales are 15 days, for non reciept, refund etc smile

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
Powered by Oh 2
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Apr-12 20:36:33
Print Post

[re: HTTP404] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by HTTP404:
These scamming calls tend to be random, just bad coincidence that the call was immediately after a call to BT....

My case with BT was closed on Tuesday morning (The call centre insisted that I was a BTi user) and just hours later, I was called by some anonymous offshore company claiming to be acting on behalf of BTi and asking for personal details etc. My number is ex directory, has been kept very private and I never receive nuisance or cold calls. Wednesday morning I received an email to an equally private address (Used for BTr) from a supposedly "legitimate" company asking me to complete a survey.
Coincidence, I don't think so!

Edited by Deadbeat (Thu 26-Apr-12 20:37:32)

Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Apr-12 21:20:34
Print Post

Very much like the calls you get after joining sky offering you insurance on your dish.... Yet sky deny any knowledge of staff passing details to these companies...
How else would these companies know your details.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
Powered by Oh 2
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Apr-12 22:50:47
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

Well i suppose these offshore call centre staff have to make a bob or two somewhere to subsidise the pittances they're paid. shocked
Standard User hickhyde
(newbie) Sat 29-Dec-12 00:48:39
Print Post

YES!!

Never had a call like it before and they most definitely have prior knowledge of a conversation with BT. It came through the same day I was expecting a call from a BT engineer to sort out a problem with my connectivity.

I saw through it but it makes me wonder how many people have been caught out by these scumbags. They must have some form of access to BT call logs or something. Can't be just coincidence with this many people all having the same thing happen to them... can it?!
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Dec-12 02:11:46
Print Post

Perhaps a link but I get them on a sky line which has never been a sky one. I moved here and got a brand new line and brand new number from Sky.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 29-Dec-12 12:52:39
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Never been a "BT" one?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Dec-12 12:53:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That's what I meant yes! smile

A few weeks ago they told me my computer would blow up if I didn't follow the steps. My reply "that'll be good prep for the apocalypse if we're hit by a meteor."

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 29-Dec-12 12:55:28)

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Dec-12 13:53:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:
Coincidence, I don't think so!
You might think so if you were to sit back and rationally consider how many numbers these scammers call at random. They are bound to get a hit on a number of people who have just happened to have called BT support amongst all the other people who have not.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User techguy
(committed) Sat 29-Dec-12 15:29:54
Print Post

[re: hickhyde] [link to this post]

Argument for getting your services from a smaller provider that's not the default choice?

Not had one of these calls yet thankfully but can tie them in technical knots if I do smile had plenty of the PPI ones though.

Really makes me feel sick reading about how these scum continue to exploit people and are allowed to carry on doing so by the telcos of the world.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (Be Wholesale)
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User andygegg
(regular) Sat 29-Dec-12 16:34:41
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by techguy:
Not had one of these calls yet thankfully but can tie them in technical knots if I do smile

I've no doubt most people on this site can tie them up in technical knots but what's the point? It's not about tech at all - they're just after your money! I'm retired and my time's my own so I just act really dumb and let them spend a lot of time while I mess about. This costs them time and money. My ambition is to get them mad enough to start berating me for wasting their time (which others have managed, I believe).

2Mb/s? Not in my lifetime! (Nearly true Dec 2011)
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 29-Dec-12 16:39:00
Print Post

[re: andygegg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andygegg:
My ambition is to get them mad enough to start berating me for wasting their time (which others have managed, I believe).
Yup grin grin grin

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Sat 29-Dec-12 17:05:23
Print Post

[re: andygegg] [link to this post]

I like winding them up too, and I recently remembered an excellent way to do it as I enter my second childhood and distant memories become clear.

I lived in India as a child and being a particularly nasty little boy I acquired amazing command of Hindi obscenities. After the fifth call in a couple of days I had enough, and fired most of my vocabulary at the gentleman who had kindly offered to fix my infected computer, or maybe it was the one who would arrange PPI compensation if I gave him my credit card details.

To my utter astonishment it has worked insofar as we have not had one call in the fortnight since that call. Very rude I agree, but very satisfying.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 29-Dec-12 17:18:53
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

You leave yourself wide open to a very unkind jest there tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Dec-12 21:42:39
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

What makes me really angry is that BT refuse to allow blocking of calls from International numbers - none of the legitimate landline calls that I get will come from overseas, I get really mad when they spoof UK STD numbers in caller ID - and I can see that they are spoofs from caller ID or from the call record on my elderly fathers phone from the number format.

BT claim they are forbidden by international agreements to block calls with spoofed numbers - BT should route internationally routed calls through a validation checker and reject calls with spoofed numbers as a breach of T&C. If I can see a spoofed number from my caller display BT's systems should be able to!

The rights of the customer to be protected from such fraud - and the rights we have under the Privacy in communications directives must override the profit margins of overseas companies that facilitate overseas scammers who seek to circumvent OUR laws and seek to bypass the protections we should enjoy.

Like the quality of landlines... BTs customer protection is woefully lacking.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI Surfwise LLU - Finally free of the BTw crawl, but not of BT's speculative invoicing (AKA SFI charges)
SWPM a BT Group investment "Not Spot"

My Broadband Ping
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Dec-12 21:52:27
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

My partner managed that with a "Microsoft rep" that called here a few months back.

It took 45 minutes of filibustering (including several minutes of "we are downloading the software you asked us to but we are on dial up in the Scottish islands we cant have broadband")

The penny only dropped when out of boredom My partner revealeled that the machine in use was a macbook pro. Cue the torrent of abuse down the phone and lots of joyous laughter here!

It felt like 45 minutes well spent if it stopped someone else getting scammed by wasting part of the day for the scammer.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI Surfwise LLU - Finally free of the BTw crawl, but not of BT's speculative invoicing (AKA SFI charges)
SWPM a BT Group investment "Not Spot"

My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 29-Dec-12 22:05:32
Print Post

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

My best was 35 minutes as I in non-knowing mode followed his instructions to get me to the Windows system error messages, which he claimed proved I had viruses.

To cure them I had to go to a URL he gave me and download something. So I stalled with pretend idiocy, (shaddupadaface you lot!), for a couple of minutes while I checked out its domain registration. When I asked him why it was a site in xxxxx country, for this UK company he represented, the conversation came to a fairly rapid conclusion. He hung up.

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Dec-12 07:34:06
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

yeah and funny enough those calls stopped when I reverted to freesat. They only came when I was a paying sky subscriber.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sun 30-Dec-12 11:22:41
Print Post

I only ever had one of these calls. I just said: "sorry I need to put you on hold for a minute so I can hear my screenreader and find the menu you are talking about; please don't hang up".
When I picked up the phone 6 hours later I found out they had hung up smile although I don't know how much of their time has been used listening to obnoxious hold music.
(member) Sun 30-Dec-12 12:06:42
Print Post

Feel free, everyone else does frown
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Dec-12 12:28:58
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

Ah, but I'm a kind, generous bloke who never says anything nasty to anyone here.

That's right, isn't it?

Standard User professor973
(committed) Mon 31-Dec-12 09:19:58
Print Post

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/6/roflc12.gif/

The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.
http://www.pingtest.net/result/68380009.png
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to