General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Apr-12 16:03:34
Print Post

Re: Anyone had BT support call being passed on to scammer fi

[re: kp52] [link to this post]

Have you tried a WhoIs on onlinepcwizards.com?

More about these scammers via Google.
Is Facebook the connection? People don't realise what info they freely give out and have no control whatsoever over what others give out about them!

Edited by Deadbeat (Thu 26-Apr-12 16:05:37)

Standard User HTTP404
(newbie) Thu 26-Apr-12 16:52:26
Print Post

These scamming calls tend to be random, just bad coincidence that the call was immediately after a call to BT. They tend to just work their way through the phone book, I know people who don't own pc's get the calls.
Claiming to be from Microsoft is the more common scam, selling upgrades to your security.
The last one I had I tracert'd back to Hydrobad, whois just showed a large service company.
Microsoft's own site validation did not flag this as a problem site - I reported it - no action.
I tried reporting it to the police. Web scams are no longer dealt with by local police, they ask you to call some anonymous face at the Home Office who appears to be doing nothing more than collating numbers on scams - no interest in actually following up. The person I spoke to seemed to have little or no specific knowledge on the subject of internet scams - just a civil servant count the number of calls.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Apr-12 19:51:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by kp52:
. Her bank (Santander) say she has to try to recover the money from the company for 30 days before they could do anything, because it's a debit card payment.

1st off report here

Get back onto Santander and get her to say that the company never did anything to her computer. This opens up non reciept of service, and on computer software this can be actioned straight away..
Also get her to mention that these companies are known to visa, and as such a chargeback can be actioned as they are a known scan company.
Don't let her be fobbed off by the call center monkies, Get her to ask for the disputes department.... They will know exactly how to deal with this.

As someone who works this type of thing I have no idea where the 30 days they quote comes from as ALL visa timescales are 15 days, for non reciept, refund etc smile

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
Powered by Oh 2
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Apr-12 20:36:33
Print Post

[re: HTTP404] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by HTTP404:
These scamming calls tend to be random, just bad coincidence that the call was immediately after a call to BT....

My case with BT was closed on Tuesday morning (The call centre insisted that I was a BTi user) and just hours later, I was called by some anonymous offshore company claiming to be acting on behalf of BTi and asking for personal details etc. My number is ex directory, has been kept very private and I never receive nuisance or cold calls. Wednesday morning I received an email to an equally private address (Used for BTr) from a supposedly "legitimate" company asking me to complete a survey.
Coincidence, I don't think so!

Edited by Deadbeat (Thu 26-Apr-12 20:37:32)

Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Apr-12 21:20:34
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Very much like the calls you get after joining sky offering you insurance on your dish.... Yet sky deny any knowledge of staff passing details to these companies...
How else would these companies know your details.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/