General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Dec-12 13:53:19
Print Post

Re: Anyone had BT support call being passed on to scammer fi

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:
Coincidence, I don't think so!
You might think so if you were to sit back and rationally consider how many numbers these scammers call at random. They are bound to get a hit on a number of people who have just happened to have called BT support amongst all the other people who have not.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User techguy
(committed) Sat 29-Dec-12 15:29:54
Print Post

[re: hickhyde] [link to this post]

Argument for getting your services from a smaller provider that's not the default choice?

Not had one of these calls yet thankfully but can tie them in technical knots if I do smile had plenty of the PPI ones though.

Really makes me feel sick reading about how these scum continue to exploit people and are allowed to carry on doing so by the telcos of the world.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (Be Wholesale)
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User andygegg
(regular) Sat 29-Dec-12 16:34:41
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by techguy:
Not had one of these calls yet thankfully but can tie them in technical knots if I do smile

I've no doubt most people on this site can tie them up in technical knots but what's the point? It's not about tech at all - they're just after your money! I'm retired and my time's my own so I just act really dumb and let them spend a lot of time while I mess about. This costs them time and money. My ambition is to get them mad enough to start berating me for wasting their time (which others have managed, I believe).

2Mb/s? Not in my lifetime! (Nearly true Dec 2011)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 29-Dec-12 16:39:00
Print Post

[re: andygegg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andygegg:
My ambition is to get them mad enough to start berating me for wasting their time (which others have managed, I believe).
Yup grin grin grin

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Sat 29-Dec-12 17:05:23
Print Post

[re: andygegg] [link to this post]

I like winding them up too, and I recently remembered an excellent way to do it as I enter my second childhood and distant memories become clear.

I lived in India as a child and being a particularly nasty little boy I acquired amazing command of Hindi obscenities. After the fifth call in a couple of days I had enough, and fired most of my vocabulary at the gentleman who had kindly offered to fix my infected computer, or maybe it was the one who would arrange PPI compensation if I gave him my credit card details.

To my utter astonishment it has worked insofar as we have not had one call in the fortnight since that call. Very rude I agree, but very satisfying.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 29-Dec-12 17:18:53
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

You leave yourself wide open to a very unkind jest there tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Dec-12 21:42:39
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

What makes me really angry is that BT refuse to allow blocking of calls from International numbers - none of the legitimate landline calls that I get will come from overseas, I get really mad when they spoof UK STD numbers in caller ID - and I can see that they are spoofs from caller ID or from the call record on my elderly fathers phone from the number format.

BT claim they are forbidden by international agreements to block calls with spoofed numbers - BT should route internationally routed calls through a validation checker and reject calls with spoofed numbers as a breach of T&C. If I can see a spoofed number from my caller display BT's systems should be able to!

The rights of the customer to be protected from such fraud - and the rights we have under the Privacy in communications directives must override the profit margins of overseas companies that facilitate overseas scammers who seek to circumvent OUR laws and seek to bypass the protections we should enjoy.

Like the quality of landlines... BTs customer protection is woefully lacking.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI Surfwise LLU - Finally free of the BTw crawl, but not of BT's speculative invoicing (AKA SFI charges)
SWPM a BT Group investment "Not Spot"

My Broadband Ping
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Dec-12 21:52:27
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

My partner managed that with a "Microsoft rep" that called here a few months back.

It took 45 minutes of filibustering (including several minutes of "we are downloading the software you asked us to but we are on dial up in the Scottish islands we cant have broadband")

The penny only dropped when out of boredom My partner revealeled that the machine in use was a macbook pro. Cue the torrent of abuse down the phone and lots of joyous laughter here!

It felt like 45 minutes well spent if it stopped someone else getting scammed by wasting part of the day for the scammer.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI Surfwise LLU - Finally free of the BTw crawl, but not of BT's speculative invoicing (AKA SFI charges)
SWPM a BT Group investment "Not Spot"

My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 29-Dec-12 22:05:32
Print Post

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

My best was 35 minutes as I in non-knowing mode followed his instructions to get me to the Windows system error messages, which he claimed proved I had viruses.

To cure them I had to go to a URL he gave me and download something. So I stalled with pretend idiocy, (shaddupadaface you lot!), for a couple of minutes while I checked out its domain registration. When I asked him why it was a site in xxxxx country, for this UK company he represented, the conversation came to a fairly rapid conclusion. He hung up.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Dec-12 07:34:06
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

yeah and funny enough those calls stopped when I reverted to freesat. They only came when I was a paying sky subscriber.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to