I spent the weekend with a relative near New Radnor in Powys. They have a problem with BT that they have not been able to resolve. Here are the facts:
1. They get 3mb down and 0.25 up, consistently. They are quite a way from the exchange.
2. Websites like Amazon, John Lewis and many others are either so slow they don't effectively work (Amazon), or completely inaccessible (John Lewis). No real pattern as to what works and what doesn't. I estimate about 2/3 websites don't work.
3. Some websites like Google, Youtube and the BBC work as well as could be expected - no problems there.
4. Other people in the area (i.e. same exchange, New Radnor) have the same problems with certain websites .
5. I have checked their equipment, & tried other devices (i.e. Nexus) - exactly the same. It isn't a problem with their setup I am sure. I've plugged in directly to the router and swapped filters.
6. I switched them over to using OpenDns. No change.
7. They haven't been able to resolve this with BT and never get past first level support.
8. The problem has been there for about a month, and has occurred before about a year ago (and went away)
Any ideas? This is a very frustrating problem!