General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User matthewcl375
(learned) Wed 30-Jan-13 21:06:32
Print Post

Re: Slow internet/low IP profile/high noise margin on Tesco

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Yeah my thoughts exactly. Which means we will just have to wait for SNR to gradually step back up over the next few weeks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 30-Jan-13 21:29:02
Print Post

[re: matthewcl375] [link to this post]

Why did you join them, how much do you pay, does that include line rental and a call package, and how long are you tied in for? You are seeing why they are so (probably) cheap.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(learned) Wed 30-Jan-13 22:35:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I don't pay for our broadband so I think the main reason we joined was the price they offered, not sure how long the contract is for but wouldn't this wait for the SNR margin to go down be the same regardless of which ISP you use?

Matt

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 30-Jan-13 22:47:57
Print Post

No. A good ISP would have the line reset, which sets it all back to defaults, (as when it was first connected), and starts a new (initial) 10-day period.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(learned) Wed 30-Jan-13 23:04:03
Print Post

Well, maybe they would... if I were more firm etc. the thing is I don't have the final say in what gets done as I don't pay for the broadband here... but if it was down to me I would push for them to do a DLM reset. And as soon as I end up paying for my own broadband connection I will definitely be using one of these "good ISPs" that will do this off the bat.
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Wed 30-Jan-13 23:31:04
Print Post

O.k., Matthew. If you are still about and you read this, my advice is to:

(1) Power off the modem/router and unplug it from the incoming telephone line.
(2) Go to bed or do something that does not involve a working Broadband connection.
(3) At around 1130 hours tomorrow, reconnect the modem/router to the telephone line.
(4) Power it on and allow it to do its own thing. (Synchronise with the DSLAM, establish a PPPoA session, etc.)

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
(learned) Fri 01-Feb-13 12:51:01
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Sorry I haven't been on this thread lately, I've had a couple of minor router problems as of late:

1. on wednesday evening I was playing an online game and the internet suddenly dropped out. Thursday morning a restart of the router did nothing, I had to go onto the 'Internet' page of the router GUI and click 'Connect'.

2. This morning someone else in my family couldn't access the internet, from what I heard all the lights on the router were on but they couldn't get to any page.

NOTE: on both of these occasions the DSLdid not drop out once. On the first occasion the internet on the router said disconnected could not bring up a link. But there are no DSL errors whatsoever.

Also when I logged onto the router this morning, it has re-synced to 5184Mbps, so if this router stays connected for another 3 days max, we could be put up into the next IP Profile.

What do you all think about these 2 small problems? Should I be that worried about them or are they to be expected?

Edited by matthewcl375 (Fri 01-Feb-13 12:53:41)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 01-Feb-13 12:59:59
Print Post

We need to see the stats smile.

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Fri 01-Feb-13 13:54:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by matthewcl375:
NOTE: on both of these occasions the DSLdid not drop out once. On the first occasion the internet on the router said disconnected could not bring up a link. But there are no DSL errors whatsoever.
What you have seen is the loss of the PPPoA session with your ISP. Possibly that session loss was eventually noticed at the exchange end -- in the ISP's equipment -- and a re-sync was invoked as a 'sure-fire' way of getting your modem/router to re-initiate both processes.

As Bob (RobertoS) has said, let's see the current statistics from the modem/router, please.

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
(learned) Fri 01-Feb-13 14:07:09
Print Post

Stats below as of 14:06 today:

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 5:59:45

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5.184

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 14,48 / 328,05

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11,9 / 13,8

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,0 / 6,0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23,0 / 15,3

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / ALCB

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / -

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 0 / 0

And @burakkucat, any ideas why the PPPOA session may have been disconnected?

Edited by matthewcl375 (Fri 01-Feb-13 14:08:41)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to