General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User matthewcl375
(learned) Sat 02-Feb-13 18:19:55
Print Post

Re: Slow internet/low IP profile/high noise margin on Tesco

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

See, this is what confuses me. You say its best to reboot when the SNR Margin is high, yet I thought a low margin gives a higher sync rate?
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Sat 02-Feb-13 18:54:00
Print Post

[re: matthewcl375] [link to this post]

Assume a static sync speed - which will be the case on ADSL (rather than the later variants, where it can change). Over the day, the noise margin naturally fluctuates a little for that given sync speed.

When the router synchronises at reboot, it does so to a target noise margin. At a time of the day where the noise margin is usually the highest, you will get the highest possible sync speed for the target noise margin - the fluctuations should happen downwards from there.

(learned) Sat 02-Feb-13 19:02:14
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Ok, so right now my Noise Margin is 16.6db. So you are saying it would be a good idea to reboot when its high. But if I was to restart now (its evening) I would get a lower Sync rate crazy

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(experienced) Sat 02-Feb-13 19:20:53
Print Post

Rebooting when your noise margin is lowest will get you a lower sync rate, yes.

Please try to avoid any more reboots for the next two weeks. There's only two ways to get the target noise margin reduced to reflect the repaired line - ring the ISP (which you're not prepared to do) or wait and hope. Every reboot may reset the clock on waiting or convince DLM your line is not stable - so as you're not prepared to ring the ISP, the next best thing is not to reboot the router for at least two weeks.

I can only encourage you to ring the ISP - as waiting and hoping may not produce the desired result. However, it's your choice.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Feb-13 19:48:31
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Conversely with LLU I find it better to resync at night when the margin is at it's lowest (5.5dB) and then I get a slightly larger daytime margin (6.5dB as opposed to 6dB) and slightly lower sync speed (~13000K as opposed to ~13500K) which proves to be more stable.

That's ADSL2+ with a 36.5dB downstream attenuation though smile
(learned) Sat 02-Feb-13 19:51:20
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Well so far the margin for me seems to be higher in the evenings, but then from other people I've heard it is meant to get lower crazy
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 02-Feb-13 19:51:58
Print Post

I thought it was supposed to go down in evening?
It often does, as there is better propagation of continental AM radio stations etc adding to the noise. Conversely the lower temp may affect the attenuation positively but lots of electrical kit in the house and neighbours adds noise too - so it's a gamble really which way it'll go.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Feb-13 20:00:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by matthewcl375:
Well so far the margin for me seems to be higher in the evenings, but then from other people I've heard it is meant to get lower crazy

The SNRM (both with ADSL MAX and ADSL2+) has always got lower for me at night probably because there is more noise affecting the line and hence less margin or "buffer".
(learned) Sat 02-Feb-13 20:07:38
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Right, so the fact that mine goes up in the evening suggests that there is less interference and so more 'buffer' room showing that my connection is stable? (trying to get my head around whether an increased SNR Margin is a good or bad thing)

Edited by matthewcl375 (Sat 02-Feb-13 20:08:41)

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Feb-13 20:12:06
Print Post

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm - "~ What is SNR Margin?" smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to