General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | [17] | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 03-Feb-13 23:40:32
Print Post

Re: Slow Internet/low IP profile/high noise margin on Tesco

[re: matthewcl375] [link to this post]

Yes smile !

And so to bed ....

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User matthewcl375
(regular) Tue 05-Feb-13 01:16:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

On a slightly off topic note, I was uploading a youtube video just now and whilst it was uploading my ping increased and my download speed dropped by about 3Mbps crazy After the upload my speed returned to 3.99Mbps and my ping to normal

Does anyone know why this may have happened?

Edited by matthewcl375 (Tue 05-Feb-13 01:19:00)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 05-Feb-13 08:22:26
Print Post

Downloading requires frequent uploaded ACKnowledgement packets. Uploading requires frequent download ones.

Your upload throughput capacity is very slow - the ADSL system was not designed for high volumes of upload. YouTube didn't exist. An upload on ADSL will almost saturate your line to the exchange, although there is now plenty of capacity from thereon, so the ACK packets for your download struggle to get sent. Therefore the download pauses or stutters.

Similarly, it seems you may have been doing a long download, not just a speed test. So the ACKs for the upload would be delayed.

As for pings - two/three factors. Mainly that a ping and its response are just packets of data like any other. So they are in the fight both down and up as well. Not only that, but routers regard ping requests as very low priority items - they don't do the primary function of the system - to pass real data to and from you. So when they are busy they just ignore the request.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Tue 05-Feb-13 16:36:52
Print Post

Thanks, that makes sense.

I am getting occassional drops in download speed when other people are using the internet (normally about 2 or 3 users maximum in our house) is this normal? For example just now I ran a speed test and got 1-2Mbps whereas when its just me using it its normally 4Mbps.

Is this anything to worry about?
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Tue 05-Feb-13 16:45:49
Print Post

That's normal. Any speed test shows the available capacity. If the connection is in use, you will only see the available capacity, not the full capacity of the line.

(regular) Tue 05-Feb-13 17:09:56
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Seems legit tongue

Out of interest how long do you guys think I should leave it for the DLM to lower my Target SNR Margin?

The problem was fixed on 27/01/2013 since then I probably have restarted the router 3-4 times (only one time per day maximum though) but since Saturday (2nd February) I have left it alone, and am planning on leaving it alone for 10-14 days (unless something major goes wrong)

Edited by matthewcl375 (Tue 05-Feb-13 18:35:15)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 05-Feb-13 18:40:57
Print Post

10-14 is the answer, for a 3dB drop, then another 10-14, and so on. That's if it believes the line is not getting too many errors.

Occasionally the system can fail, so after say 16 days it could be worth the hassle of trying to explain to support that you need the line retraining.

(regular) Tue 05-Feb-13 18:43:32
Print Post

Would that be 10-14 days since the day the problem was fixed, or would me rebooting it 3 or so times since then 'reset' the waiting period?

P.S. my line has shown no errors since it was repaired
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 05-Feb-13 19:00:47
Print Post

No-one really knows, so for the purpose of deciding whether or not it isn't going to happen it would have to be from the latest re-boot.

(regular) Tue 05-Feb-13 22:13:20
Print Post

Right, would you (or anyone else here) say that it is normal to get high pings occasionally when other people are sharing your internet connection (for example, over wifi)?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | [17] | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to