General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 17:02:01
Print Post

Re: Slow internet/low IP profile/high noise margin on Tesco

[re: matthewcl375] [link to this post]

Also, how is the profile ever going to increase if my current download speeds remain the same? Is it more based on what the line can take, rather than what it is currently syncing at?
The profile is a simple lookup table of speeds based on the sync speed. 2272 sync is 2000 profile, as is 2304, 2336 etc but 2240 is 1750 profile.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User matthewcl375
(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 17:27:56
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Okay, I'm confused about 2 things.

Firstly, the invisible upstream system updates the profile based on the sync speed of my line BUT at the same time the sync speed of my line is being limited by the IP Profile, so how can it ever improve/update?

Second, you say that overnight checks occur, however, either there was no overnight check last night, or there was but it failed to update... You say that it could of 'got lost' but it has had the chance to update twice now: when i restarted the router after the line was installed, and also last night on the overnight check.

Could anyone help clear up this confusion for me? I'm fairly new to understanding the techy side of broadband but I'm giving it a go, if nothing else for future reference.
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Mon 28-Jan-13 17:34:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by matthewcl375:
Firstly, the invisible upstream system updates the profile based on the sync speed of my line BUT at the same time the sync speed of my line is being limited by the IP Profile, so how can it ever improve/update?
Sync speed depends on the target noise margin, not the IP profile. The IP profile regulates the maximum downstream bandwidth, not the speed that downstream synchronises.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 17:39:31
Print Post

The IP profile does not control your sync speed. The DLM system may have given it a high target margin of 15 which is depressing the sync speed to 4M or so. DLM and profiles are entirely separate.

If you want it to update you should give it some data to work with. Turn it off for half an hour, see what the sync speed / margin does, leave it off overnight. Should get you two tickets in the lottery then give it 3 days.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics

Edited by yarwell (Mon 28-Jan-13 17:42:49)

(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 17:49:18
Print Post

Thanks guys, I was getting bit confused there, just to clarify is the sync speed the same as the maximum achievable speed, as shown in BT's Speedtest website? Or is it the speed of the connection as shown on my router?

Edited by matthewcl375 (Mon 28-Jan-13 17:51:47)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Jan-13 18:17:17
Print Post

Sync speed is the speed of the connection shown on your router

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Jan-13 18:21:03
Print Post

The IP Profile part (ignoring any DLM and target noise margin issues) has evolved

2006 - it was a fixed three days for any improvement
2009 - (date is a bit of guess), this changed to be a variable time, between 1 hour and 5 days. Most commonly it is a couple of days, but we say 3 to 5 so you know not to sit there starring at the router.

The FAQ's and ISP's may confuse as the IP profile profiles differently also for the two product lines

IPStream MAX - which you are on follows the above rules (MAX is used by less than 20% of UK)

WBC (ADSL2+ from BT Wholesale) follows a simpler system, IP Profile is calculated as 88.2% of the sync speed whenever the modem syncs. Newer system, better design and more capable hardware.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 18:34:50
Print Post

just to add that with

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,0 / 6,0

you should get 8128 / 448 or if interleaved perhaps 7616 / 448 sync speed. Does it improve in the test socket behind the master faceplate ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 19:20:17
Print Post

Well before the engineer was called out we tried the test socket, and that was what showed that there was a line fault, but now that its been fixed haven't really touched it.

What I'm thinking is that the router was only restarted once, and that was straight after the line was fixed, and it was a straight on/off, no 30 minute wait etc. So maybe the previous line faults caused it to still re-sync at this low speed.

I'm thinking leave the router off for 30 minutes, then restart, to let it sync back up to a hopefully higher speed, now that the line has been ok for nearly 2 days, does that sound like a good plan?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Jan-13 19:28:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by matthewcl375:
Firstly, the invisible upstream system updates the profile based on the sync speed of my line BUT at the same time the sync speed of my line is being limited by the IP Profile
No, latter is untrue. Your throughput, not sync, is limited by IP profile. It goes like this:

Sync Speed -> IP Profile -> Throughput.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to